Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:55 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Just to add: I do realize that we are so different in price here but please remember...in Morgan Hill, Calf., our house was considered a starter home. We never intended to sell. we thought (Moving from San Francisco), this was it, this is where we will die. Unfortunately, my Dad decided to die right away and we wanted to be near my family in NJ.
I'm sorry for your loss.

It's an utter disgrace what a starter home costs in California. I don't understand how normal people can live there. There is no way I could afford to make the mortgage payments on my salary.....and I actually do well with respect to others in my feild. I'm just confused as to how anyone (that isn't a multi-millionare) can afford to live out there.

My current employer (the one I'm leaving) has a branch in southern California. I can go and look at the difference in salary for my same position out there. I would only be making $20k per year more. That translates into me being able to make double my current mortgage payment with the difference in salary. But that only means I can afford a $280k home. LOL That's probably a falling down shack on the side of the road in that area. I was offered the possibility of moving out there and I flattly told them I couldn't do it unless they upped my salary 60%. They laughed. And now I'm leaving the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
Yes, it is a joke out here. My husband was smart and bought a house in Los Angeles when he was in college. It was a teeny ranch in the valley but he had a bunch a guys living with him and he made double mortgage payments. When we sold that in 2004 for a whopping $400,000 (FOR A SHACK) We rolled it into the house we just sold.

The people who bought our house did 100% financing (We didn't think anyone could do that anymore but I digress), which in turn (on avg. interest rate), Their mortgage pymt would have to be something like $5,500 per month. That is before $8-9,000 in taxes, utilities, everything else, eek!
I cannot imagine.

Good luck with your sale

Shanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I'm sorry for your loss.

It's an utter disgrace what a starter home costs in California. I don't understand how normal people can live there. There is no way I could afford to make the mortgage payments on my salary.....and I actually do well with respect to others in my feild. I'm just confused as to how anyone (that isn't a multi-millionare) can afford to live out there.

My current employer (the one I'm leaving) has a branch in southern California. I can go and look at the difference in salary for my same position out there. I would only be making $20k per year more. That translates into me being able to make double my current mortgage payment with the difference in salary. But that only means I can afford a $280k home. LOL That's probably a falling down shack on the side of the road in that area. I was offered the possibility of moving out there and I flattly told them I couldn't do it unless they upped my salary 60%. They laughed. And now I'm leaving the company.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:57 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times
Default Our House is for Sale

Our house is on the market. We put it on the market in March of last year and had showings every week with one contingent offer. We took it off the market and did some updates and put it back on the market in November.
Not a good time with the Holidays. We had a real estate agents open house recently and had 40-50 brokers look at our house and several others in the neighborhood. Since then we have had two showings. We are in Charlotte,
NC on Lake Wylie in the million dollar range.

Hopefully, with spring approaching we will all have better luck!

Old 02-29-2008, 05:17 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Our house goes on the market in late April (we hope) - there are some homes selling in our area and actually there are far less homes for sale now than 6 months ago. Lots of empty homes that need major work that have been for sale for up to 18 months....very sad.

We do have the nicest house on our block and it is larger and has more storage than most homes - we will be asking the lowest price we can possibly afford and will be hoping for the best. We have a good realtor and if we can't sell, we have no problem staying for a few years if that is what it takes...but DH will retire at the end of the summer and we really would like to get out of So. California. Wish us luck....in fact may we all have luck in selling our homes. Here is our home.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Our house goes on the market in late April (we hope) - there are some homes selling in our area and actually there are far less homes for sale now than 6 months ago. Lots of empty homes that need major work that have been for sale for up to 18 months....very sad.

We do have the nicest house on our block and it is larger and has more storage than most homes - we will be asking the lowest price we can possibly afford and will be hoping for the best. We have a good realtor and if we can't sell, we have no problem staying for a few years if that is what it takes...but DH will retire at the end of the summer and we really would like to get out of So. California. Wish us luck....in fact may we all have luck in selling our homes. Here is our home.

Hi Cattknap...I love your house...if I could come back to socal I would buy it! Where are you? We used to live in Claremont, LA County and it looks like a lot of the homes there.....

Best of Luck!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:27 PM

My house in the St. George, Utah area..for sale since September 07. If it doesn't sell by June we will stay. We are going to downsize and stay in the area..don't HAVE to sell but life would be a lot easier and less expensive if we could cut our expenses...

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/bboyack/frontofhome2.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-29-2008, 06:28 PM

another one:

our snow a few weeks ago..

Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 PM

369 posts, read 1,960,051 times
We have been on the market for about 2 weeks. We have a 1912 Craftsman a block off the water. So far, the response has been good. We are the only home for sale on our street, which is known in our city for being historic. I am pleased with the number of showings we have had...but would be more pleased with an offer. We did get a letter of intent, but it was for $200,000 less than asking...not worth considering. We are relocating to the east coast from CA. If we do not get within what we consider to be a reasonable offer for our home, we will keep it and rent it out.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:28 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Beautiful home Dogmom - There are many great houses in St. George - glad to hear you like the area - it sure has grown over the years.

We are in Long Beach, CA - about 10 minutes from the beach.

Dougnaie - there are many beautiful Craftsman homes in Long Beach - glad you have had showings....that $200,000 less offer was so ridiculous...there is a gorgeous home close to us that was completely gutted and redone - it shows inside and out like a high end model home - their only offer in the last 6 months has been for $160,000 less than their asking price - very discouraging. Good luck in selling your home - being near the water and having a historic home will be very appealing to many.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 PM

Oh I just love Craftsman homes...i grew up near Pasadena...many, many lovely homes. I always wanted one...unfortunately, nothing like that at all here...

I love the built in cabinets and knick knack shelves. Hope you get some offers soon that you can work with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate