Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 10:15 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,927 times

Advertisements

Beautiful home dogmom...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 10:21 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,272,804 times
Thanks for the compliment...it is a nice house, very open, 15 ft ceilings, huge rooms...the backyard is good sized with a jacuzzi spa, artificial turf and easy care plantings...we are desert here and need to have as little water usage as possible.

I've done all I can to make this place look good...it's up to the buyers now!

Old 03-01-2008, 02:21 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
There are a lot of homes on the market in my hometown of Bristol, CT. Some prices have started to drop but many are still high.

A lot of the properties for sale are investment properties 2 and 3 families. The numbers don't work at the current prices. The rents don't come close to covering the expenses.

In surrounding communities new construction projects have slowed to barely anything being built. There are vacant new construction homes available but not a lot. Builders are holding their prices.

I don't think lower rates are going to be any major catalyst to move the homes. They ran up in price too much during the last rate drop so that there is no real room left for upward movement.

Wages are flat, job demand is flat to down slightly and there is an abundant supply of existing homes for sale.

Job growth, and wage growth is needed to reignite the RE market in many markets throughout the country. Absent of true economic growth the housing market will stay slow in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:58 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
I would consider selling my home, too, but these dismal posts are depressing. These home photos are beautiful -- it's just hard to believe people don't want to buy them.

This might seem kind of silly to ask, but I am curious. As I think about this housing situation, does anyone think that eventually people will just have to bite the bullet and start buying again?? What about people with job changes, or retirement, or kids leaving home, or a multitude of reasons? It seems like we're going to have to get back to "musical houses" again at some point. I just don't know how it can stay so stagnant for so long.

Of course, I realize there is the mortgage crisis (loans), and all of that, but I'm just thinking about people who really want to move or change houses (getting a bigger one or a smaller one) -- at what point do people just say, "It's time to move on?"

Any ideas on this? I can't figure it out. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:47 PM

77 posts, read 430,084 times
Default The need to move vs being able to ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I would consider selling my home, too, but these dismal posts are depressing. These home photos are beautiful -- it's just hard to believe people don't want to buy them.

This might seem kind of silly to ask, but I am curious. As I think about this housing situation, does anyone think that eventually people will just have to bite the bullet and start buying again?? What about people with job changes, or retirement, or kids leaving home, or a multitude of reasons? It seems like we're going to have to get back to "musical houses" again at some point. I just don't know how it can stay so stagnant for so long.

Of course, I realize there is the mortgage crisis (loans), and all of that, but I'm just thinking about people who really want to move or change houses (getting a bigger one or a smaller one) -- at what point do people just say, "It's time to move on?"

Any ideas on this? I can't figure it out. Thanks.
The whole complicated housing mess does make it difficult on people who have lost jobs, want to be closer to their family or are adding onto their family and simply want or need more room. No one can make a move; it's like we are being held prisoner against our will. This has been very tough on many people and I know markets have to adjust but this is the worst I've seen in years.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:18 PM

369 posts, read 1,960,390 times
I love Craftsman homes too!I have always felt very fortunate to be on such a nice street. If the mood should strike, you can check out the MLS - our's is MLS ID# P623177 - I think the right person will come along and love it, but certainly realize that constraints of the current market are not in our favor. I would put in a picture, but simply cannot figure it out. Ah well...

Old 03-01-2008, 05:31 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,272,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
I love Craftsman homes too!I have always felt very fortunate to be on such a nice street. If the mood should strike, you can check out the MLS - our's is MLS ID# P623177 - I think the right person will come along and love it, but certainly realize that constraints of the current market are not in our favor. I would put in a picture, but simply cannot figure it out. Ah well...
Sounds very nice...good luck to you!

Old 03-02-2008, 03:10 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,538 times
Thumbs up Good post and I agree NY652

It's not that people don't want to buy , it's that many people are no longer able to buy due to tightened mortgage lending standards, bad credit (for too many reasons to go into here ) and much less equity when and IF they can sell. Add to that 'an unprecented amount of home building the last several years' and it will be quite some time before this mess gets any better IMHO .

I'll make a deal with ALL of YOU . Someone on here BUYS MY HOME and I will BUY THEIRS !!!! That ought to get the market moving in the WRITE direction ! LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY652 View Post
The whole complicated housing mess does make it difficult on people who have lost jobs, want to be closer to their family or are adding onto their family and simply want or need more room. No one can make a move; it's like we are being held prisoner against our will. This has been very tough on many people and I know markets have to adjust but this is the worst I've seen in years.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:44 AM

9 posts, read 73,657 times
'I just don't understand wasting my time as a buyer looking at something I don't want, priced too high, whatever. Our agent has listed what this house has...do they even Its distressing...you all know how it goes, agent calls, gives you a couple hours notice if you are lucky...so we rush around and pick up, clean, vaccum, mop, dust. Get the dogs in the jeep and out of the house...we take off and wait....husband usually waits with the jeep up around the corner so he can see and lets me know when they arrive and when they leave so I can come home. Its just disheartening and exhausting.'

Boy do I sympathasize with this! Same for me. People come to my neighborhood where all the houses have the same amount of sq. ft., same layout, etc. Then I get comments too small, too large. Last comment I got...didn't like windowsill in living room. Can you believe that? I hope I never have to move again because selling this house has been worse than child birth!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 AM

77 posts, read 430,084 times
Smile You got the right idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
It's not that people don't want to buy , it's that many people are no longer able to buy due to tightened mortgage lending standards, bad credit (for too many reasons to go into here ) and much less equity when and IF they can sell. Add to that 'an unprecented amount of home building the last several years' and it will be quite some time before this mess gets any better IMHO .

I'll make a deal with ALL of YOU . Someone on here BUYS MY HOME and I will BUY THEIRS !!!! That ought to get the market moving in the WRITE direction ! LOL!!!

Your statement above is exactly what I was thinking. I wish there was a forum for people wanting to "swap" homes (buy of course) - wouldn't that be a nice, new, exciting, fun concept? I know it's called the MLS and is run by realtors; but I'm a FSBO and short of looking at my own web pages I just wish there was more I could do to find someone who's actually looking in MY neighborhood and in MY price range so I could move back closer to my family. I'm already looking into accepting a job out of state and this is going to make it more difficult to manage with the house waiting for that one perfect person to come along and say it is just what they have been looking for. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate