Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 04:17 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,741,766 times

Advertisements

Most of the feedback's have been of the can't change variety- I just don't appreciate it when an agent makes a statement such as possible mold issue's. Maybe I am taking this response too personally but that is a serious issue to claim you think the house has- well no wonder the buyer isn't interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 04:19 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I gave that feedback once to an agent. She probably thought I was a loon.

I'm allergic to cats and mold. So, I'm kinda like the canary when I walk into homes. I had a massive allergic reaction to a house one time. The downstairs smelled a bit wet so I was pretty sure it wasn't cats. Someone would need to have like 10 cats for me to react that fast to that allergy. So when she asked for feedback, I told her I thought the house had a mold problem. I did explain that I was allergic to mold and that I reacted to the house though.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:26 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Lots of feedback is going to be absurd. I've sold starter homes under $100,000 where people complained because there was no granite and the new appliances weren't stainless. Don't take complaints personally. If they write something that seems egregious (such a mold complaint that is not accurate), just replace the feedback sheet before other viewers see it and panic. I agree with oneslip that many people complain about things you don't even have any control over. As others have said, those comments are merely their excuses to leave.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:57 PM

This is an electronic feedback form that goes to my agent from the buyers agent. I don't think anyone else can see this.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:57 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
This is an electronic feedback form that goes to my agent from the buyers agent. I don't think anyone else can see this.
That's a good thing. I would try not to let it bother you.

Feedback differs from agent to agent. Some seemed to think they were writing a Yelp review of our house, complete with comments about decor etc.

Mold is not the kind of thing you would casually throw out there like that, and hopefully your next feedback is an offer.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:20 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
I went in the basement and searched for anything that resembles mold- I think I might have a guess on what they are referring too. I have an old coal bin room which the walls have remnants of coal on- maybe they didn't know what the coal bin room was & think the black stuff is mold?
In which case you head down there and wash the walls, and the next dozen potential buyers don't assume it's mould. What helpful and useful feedback this person gave you!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:58 AM

This is a 93 year old house in a historic area- buyer's and the agents should know about certain details/features typical with an older home. It would be like saying the closets are small- of course they are as that is how people lived in the 1920's they didn't have hoards of clothes and things like we do today.

This house in 93 years has been bought & sold by who knows how many times to different people and I'm sure like us we understood the coal bin/ room or closet and it is used for storage and that is all. I think that is an issue when agents from other area's show clients homes they are not familiar with.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:25 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
This is a 93 year old house in a historic area- buyer's and the agents should know about certain details/features typical with an older home. It would be like saying the closets are small- of course they are as that is how people lived in the 1920's they didn't have hoards of clothes and things like we do today.

This house in 93 years has been bought & sold by who knows how many times to different people and I'm sure like us we understood the coal bin/ room or closet and it is used for storage and that is all. I think that is an issue when agents from other area's show clients homes they are not familiar with.
I think you're giving people too much credit. There are millions of newly married kids out there who fantasize about owning a charming bungalow because they like the architecture and the millwork and have no clue about coal bins or any of that stuff they don't talk about on HGTV.

If you really think that is what they were talking about, then clean it up and find a way to make it clear to potential buyers. Look for other possible sources of a so-called mold issue.

Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:56 AM

I think the issue is that it would make more of a mess to clean up the coal closet then to just continue to use it storage as we and other's have done. I guess if someone wanted they could take the closet down and "open" up the area but then the complain could be about the "wood" coal bin shoot door etc.

Since this is the only comment received regarding this and I have looked everywhere else in the basement & do not see any evidence of mold anywhere I guess I'll just forget it. Just pisses me off to have an agent make a comment as of such- this is the same jerk that scheduled a 9AM-10Am showing and showed up after 10 when I had returned to the house to turn things back off.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:17 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The only feedback you care about is an offer.

Any other comment is just their agent trying to give you a reason they are not making an offer.
I agree with this. If someone makes you an offer, and then says it's $X lower than asking because of mold, then you deal with it. Otherwise, if you know there is no mold, it makes no difference what this non-buyer says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate