Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:17 AM

97 posts, read 118,875 times

Advertisements

I love what I get out of my HOA. At my current home we are basically part of a mini resort for less than $70/month. The amenities are so good that it actually increases the value of your home if you are part of this HOA in the area (since not all homes are part of this HOA) due to the fairly high demand, especially if you are in the better school district. It's basically like a country club without a golf course.

On the other hand my I didn't get much out of the HOA in my previous home so it really is all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 08:51 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The point is that it is easy (by simply cleaning/airing out home) to rid a house of cat smells where the cat isn't spraying or not using the litter box (i.e. going around the house). In those cases, owning a cat will not, due to "smell," serve as a hindrance to selling one's house.
Cat urine -- especially from unneutered cats (and all cats should be neutered) -- smells pretty strong, especially if it has soaked into a wood floor... Been there, done that with a house I bought! But most RESPONSIBLE cat owners a) spay and neuter, b) use and regularly scoop/clean litterboxes, and c) have the good sense to place said litterbox on a wipable surface (kitchen or bathroom linoleum or tile, on a washable throw rug, or in the basement). Hence, I don't believe merely "owning a cat" means "smell."

Some people are a little over-the-top about this!

Old 09-02-2015, 08:58 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingyman View Post
I love what I get out of my HOA. At my current home we are basically part of a mini resort for less than $70/month. The amenities are so good that it actually increases the value of your home if you are part of this HOA in the area (since not all homes are part of this HOA) due to the fairly high demand, especially if you are in the better school district. It's basically like a country club without a golf course.

On the other hand my I didn't get much out of the HOA in my previous home so it really is all relative.
Also... Both the amount and the benefits can change without little notice... And NO control from you...

Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 PM

97 posts, read 118,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Also... Both the amount and the benefits can change without little notice... And NO control from you...
That is true, however this HOA has not changed in price over the past 13 years. There is a very active board of directors and we vote on everything. There are actually plans on expansion that we plan to vote on soon with surplus made with the intentions of expansion in the future. I think why we are able to get so much out of this is due to 4000 homes being part of this HOA. That's over $3 mil per year alone not including revenue brought in from the club.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:02 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Relax.
The water heater will probably make it thru the first week before blowing up.
Oh, you're mean.

I love it. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Some people are a little over-the-top about this!
Some people just hate cats. Sucks to be them!

Old 09-03-2015, 06:43 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, you're mean.

I love it. LOL

Some people just hate cats. Sucks to be them!
I can't say I hate cats.....some are cool......I just prefer dogs......higher up,the food chain.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
Oh yes they do! If you God forbid wont keep up with HOA payments they will sell your house. So no, you don't own a house in HOA neighborhood, you sorta rent it.
No, they don't. You own your land, subject to rules duly passed by the HOA. Yes, if you do not pay your HOA dues, they can put a lien on your property and if you still refuse to pay it, yes, they can file an action on that lien to sell the property in order to satisfy the lien (although they would only get the amount of the lien and associated fees allowed by state law). They do not actually own your home. You do not at all "rent" it from them.

In a similar fashion, your mortgage lender doesn't own your home. They do have an interest in your property and you own it subject to the mortgage lien. But unless you do not pay the mortgage (or, yes, do not pay HOA fees, which the mortgage lender could then pay on your behalf and then place their own lien on the property and/or foreclose on that basis), and until a court actually transfers title from you to the bank, YOU are the owner of your home.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
No, they don't. You own your land, subject to rules duly passed by the HOA. Yes, if you do not pay your HOA dues, they can put a lien on your property and if you still refuse to pay it, yes, they can file an action on that lien to sell the property in order to satisfy the lien (although they would only get the amount of the lien and associated fees allowed by state law). They do not actually own your home. You do not at all "rent" it from them.

In a similar fashion, your mortgage lender doesn't own your home. They do have an interest in your property and you own it subject to the mortgage lien. But unless you do not pay the mortgage (or, yes, do not pay HOA fees, which the mortgage lender could then pay on your behalf and then place their own lien on the property and/or foreclose on that basis), and until a court actually transfers title from you to the bank, YOU are the owner of your home.
This is one of the worst rebuttals I have ever read. You completely failed to counter the posters argument.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:13 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
This is one of the worst rebuttals I have ever read. You completely failed to counter the posters argument.
Well, sir, the poster's argument is more of a loony, hyperbolic rant than an actual argument. Making irrational exaggerations is hardly an argument.

Folks have posted genuine advice to help the OP, and I believe much of that advice is far too good for the OP, who defies all common sense and has turned a classic case of buyer's remorse into a HOA trying to ruin her.

I feel bad for the OP because she is a victim of her own making and the lessons are harsh now--I don't find that entertaining. It doesn't help her to have posters on here feeding her fallacious conclusion that the HOA is the problem.

Stop encouraging the belief that this is about the HOA.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Well, sir, the poster's argument is more of a loony, hyperbolic rant than an actual argument. Making irrational exaggerations is hardly an argument.

Folks have posted genuine advice to help the OP, and I believe much of that advice is far too good for the OP, who defies all common sense and has turned a classic case of buyer's remorse into a HOA trying to ruin her.

I feel bad for the OP because she is a victim of her own making and the lessons are harsh now--I don't find that entertaining. It doesn't help her to have posters on here feeding her fallacious conclusion that the HOA is the problem.

Stop encouraging the belief that this is about the HOA.
This thread has digressed into entertainment many pages ago when it became a debate about cat urine! As far as advice goes I take everything posted on these threads with a huge grain of salt. People can say and pretend to know about anything. This is the last place I would turn if I had a truly serious issue with anything house related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate