Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 01:48 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
First of all never rent or buy a place without knowing the pet rules. I was looking at a co-op that allowed 2 small dogs, but you could not walk them on the property, just around (literally in a circle) your home, they had a small area for a dog park, but you could not walk them to get to it, so it was drive your dog to where they can go.

As far as the AC you can get a portable AC, they cost about $350 for over 10000 BTU, they don't cool as well and it needs to be vented into a window, or you can create a dryer type vent hole leading to an outside wall. They also need somewhere to drip the condensed water that it creates.

Think of every solution, would they let you tether the cats with a harness and rope to contain them in your yard? If they allow dogs in the yard they should have to allow cats as long as you can guarantee they can't get out.

Does the HOA have a community president or anyone who is on the side of the residents?
They make portable AC units that automatically evaporate the water now, but they still need to be vented outside. I just bought a portable AC unit at HD for something like 300 bucks. It works really good. At least with a portable unit like that your husband could remove the window vent part of it when he's not working out if they complain about it. It's not hard to remove at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 01:59 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
If you are trying to sell in an area where there is still a lot of new construction, you'll have a hard time competing with the Builder.

Builders have incentives and people rather have new over even a 1 year old home.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:03 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you are trying to sell in an area where there is still a lot of new construction, you'll have a hard time competing with the Builder.

Builders have incentives and people rather have new over even a 1 year old home.
This is true. And even if your own subdivision is built out, there's probably other ones close by which are not, so the situation can persist for years. It's one of the drawbacks of buying in a new development.

But you can still sell, IF you can reduce the price enough to make the place tempting. To do that, though, takes a reasonable amount of equity, which it seems the OP doesn't really have. She and her husband may be stuck there for a bit.

Last edited by Aredhel; 08-22-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 02:29 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,075,858 times
Put it for rent?

Old 08-22-2015, 02:43 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
1) Husband got a job offer and a good opportunity in another state.
2) This house has HOA and they told me I cant let my cats outside.
3) HOA told my husband he cant have window AC in the garage - and he uses garage as a gym.
4) HOA has all kinda rules we dont like (like grass has to be cut at certain length).
5) we pay HOA and I dont see why do we need to pay somebody else besides taxes mortgage etc.

So yeah my biggest issue is HOA
No, your biggest issue is that you seem to think rules are for everyone but you. No matter where you live, letting your cats out can be a real problem to neighbors. No one wants other people's cats in their yard.

Those rules were there when you moved in; did you not read them? Did you think they were for everyone else and not you?

Unless your property has appreciated in a years time, you will likely loose money on the sale and have to bring money to the table.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
1) Husband got a job offer and a good opportunity in another state.
2) This house has HOA and they told me I cant let my cats outside.
3) HOA told my husband he cant have window AC in the garage - and he uses garage as a gym.
4) HOA has all kinda rules we dont like (like grass has to be cut at certain length).
5) we pay HOA and I dont see why do we need to pay somebody else besides taxes mortgage etc.

So yeah my biggest issue is HOA

Good lord. WHY did you buy in a HOA? These rules are given to you. Yet it's the HOA enforcing the rules you agreed to before buying that's the problem?

What you need to do is learn to do a FSBO or find a agent who will work on a flat fee.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:09 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I think you have to absolutely love your house or it is a drain on you both mentally & physically.

We bought our house years ago. Hubby loved it and I didn't particularly care for it. Not his fault, but I let him talk me into it. All those little things I didn't like became giant issues that annoyed me every day. The plan was to move in a few years. Never happened. This house has become an awful financial/mental burden that does strain our relationship. I think you should get out of it however you can. Life is far too short....
Yikes, it's like you live here! I feel your pain.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:25 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,797,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Sorry to be blunt, but the HOA is not the problem! I'm sure you received and signed for a copy of their rules and reg's before you bought. You just decided too late that you don't want to abide by the rules you agreed to.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I am against HOAs and have turned down several homes after reading the by laws and rules. But that is my point, I checked first to see if there was an HOA and if so I read the rules anyway just to see if I could live with them. I am sorry OP and hope it works out, but you stepped in it by not doing your do diligence.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:28 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,797,937 times
And on a side note, I would just like to add that people like you who let your cat's wander free are so annoying. Why should we be subject to the whims of your poor pet handling anyways. I swear to god what gives you the right to let your cat just wander around crapping at will and leaving little cat paw prints on someone's freshly washed car?

Old 08-22-2015, 06:54 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Sorry to be blunt, but the HOA is not the problem! I'm sure you received and signed for a copy of their rules and reg's before you bought. You just decided too late that you don't want to abide by the rules you agreed to.
I don't know how people buy into a community with a HOA then complain about the rules afterward! Do they not read the rules & regulations? In Florida you get 3 days to review HOA by-laws & can rescind if you don't like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate