Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:02 AM

232 posts, read 251,103 times

Advertisements

Boy I know some of my neighbors are glad there is no HOA. We have one guy who is a mechanic out of his house and he revs up the loudest cars a few days a week as loud as a drag racer. I do think he fixes street racing cars.It used to really annoy me because I work from home and need a quiet office space but I eventually learned to tune it out. He's actually a really nice guy. A few of the locals do park on the sidewalks here but the city code enforcement will eventually give tickets for that if it's been a few days. We might be considered riff raff ourselves because we let our lawn get a bit high--mostly weeds on occasion--and we also don't water our grass and will let some of it get brown. We also used to have a broken down car in the driveway for a few years but we got rid of it finally because even I got tired of seeing it and it was taking up driveway space. I really thought we were going to fix it "someday" but then it started rusting out. I think we are reluctant riff raff. We don't want to always be that way...but sometimes we are just too tired to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,248,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'd do the same things as you.

My ideal neighborhood.....one where I never see the neighbors or the houses because of all the trees. Perfect neighbors means I don't even know you live there.
But then you're more vulnerable to home invasion robbers. It's becoming a more and more popular crime.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:50 PM

129 posts, read 189,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I live in an HOA.
When I say my dog barks.. I mean like a normal dog... not excessively.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:59 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,898,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Neighbor down the road has an old outhouse out by the road as yard art. I just tune it out. He also has an old bicycle with the front wheel replaced by a lawn mower reel, which I think is rather cool.

The family I consider to be riff raff built a dirt bike track in their front yard, bought their kid a motorcycle, and invited all of his riff raff teenage friends to roar around on their motorcycles all, day long, starting at 6 am and going until after dark, and frequently shouting out the F word at the top of their lungs.

When neighbors complained, they just replied that it is just kids having fun and it shouldn't bother anyone. This was in a residential neighborhood, not way out in the country on large acreage.
I'd rather have "PWT" LOOKING neighbors of any race who are respectful compared to some metrosexual snob driving in a fancy car thinking he owns the neighborhood. That snob's the REAL rifraf.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:14 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
But then you're more vulnerable to home invasion robbers. It's becoming a more and more popular crime.
Have statistics on this?

Old 08-28-2015, 08:15 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'd rather have "PWT" LOOKING neighbors of any race who are respectful compared to some metrosexual snob driving in a fancy car thinking he owns the neighborhood. That snob's the REAL rifraf.

This! Exactly!

Old 08-28-2015, 09:09 PM

914 posts, read 1,136,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

My ideal neighborhood.....one where I never see the neighbors or the houses because of all the trees. Perfect neighbors means I don't even know you live there.
When I recently moved out of my home, I think the property values went up. A doctor and his wife bought it and they don't have children that I know of (they made me remove my kids' playset in the backyard). No one has seen him since he moved in, about a few weeks ago. I know because I still keep in touch with my neighbors. In the meantime, he keeps his nice Mercedes and BMW parked in the garage, and made some updates to the front porch, he mows the lawn too (although no one ever sees him do it).

When I was there, everyone knew me as the mean woman who was always yelling outside at her kids, and had other kids bikes draped across the driveway. LOL!

Old 08-29-2015, 02:51 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,973 times
I have another stray cat. I am feeding her and intend to build her a hay cave for winter in the hay barn (it keeps them wicked warm.)

We have a burn barrel and a compost pile. No garbage collector here, and I won't waste time and gas going to the landfill which is 7 miles away.

You might be a redneck if............

Old 08-29-2015, 05:12 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,312,131 times
Default inadvertently riff-raff

I lived in a golf-club community which had an OK HOA when I moved in, but an election turned it into a banana republic with a slew of new amendments e.g. The HOA officers can enter your house at any time with a sheriff's deputy and locksmith if they have reason to believe you have some violation inside your house such as working from home or repairing your car inside the garage.

Anyway, the President of the HOA lived a few doors down and drove past my house every day to and fro work. So, if I was late on raking the lawn, cleaning the gutters, etc, I got a letter from the HOA threatening to hire a contractor to "solve the problem" and have a lien placed to insure compliance.
I'm actually a pretty neat and orderly person, so I believed was personal but have no idea why. Everyone else loves me.

So, one day Comcast comes into the neighborhood to do upgrades, or whatever they felt like doing, because they can.

They dug what looked exactly like a grave about three feet from the road in my lawn. Six feet deep, eight feet long and two feet wide with all the dirt piled up next to it. And then they disappeared.

Who would want such a thing in their front lawn? I called Comcast and they said, Yeah, we did that, we'll fill the hole when we're done, but it won't be soon. Stay out of our hole. Law's on our side, utility right-of-way and all that. Nice talking to ya. Dang. They did come out and put posts with the yellow warning tape around it. Now it looked like a crime scene in a graveyard.

I was annoyed, really annoyed, until I got a letter from the HOA telling me to fill in the hole or else blah blah, to which I letter-replied back with "to bad, but it's staying until they're done. I got a ranting phone call from an apoplectic HOA prez, same answer. There were follow-ups, but I suppose the lawyers who happened to be on our HOA board restrained them from doing something too stupid.

It was almost too sweet. Remember the part about his driving past my house every day?

Riff-raff, that's me. I know because that is what he called me that in one of the phone calls.

Oh, the hole? It only lasted about nine months.

Last edited by Thulsa; 08-29-2015 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: fix shameful grammatical error

Old 08-30-2015, 08:39 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,815 times
9 people living in a rental across the street from me.
Can afford the rent but told me credit sucks so won't buy and has a 60k pick up truck but doesn't want to pay the HOA dues
Lawn looks like good brush to hunt rabbits and quail
His son hit his truck while riding bike, guy was more concerned with dent in truck then well being of son.
Rent a center recently came and swapped out furniture.
Went to waffle house for special birthday dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate