Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:41 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times

Advertisements

The earnest money deposit ($1-$10K) is typically specified in the purchase contract and held in an escrow account by either the Title Company or RE Broker.

The amount is usually determined by the 'comfort level' of the seller with the buyer's ability to complete the transaction; .... and/or the impression of seriousness the buyer wants to create. If there are mitigating circumstances that could delay or derail the closing - or otherwise leave the seller dangling, a higher earnest money deposit may be requested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 05:06 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,741,766 times
1% of the offer price

Old 08-28-2015, 05:20 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
thanks, what do you mean you have to shop for customer service? You mean they are all charge the same and you find the one with the best reviews?
Title companies market to Realtors, not the consumer. We close transactions with them everyday. Because of that, it's usually the Realtors who choose which title company the transaction closes at because we're the ones who deal with the customer service on a daily basis. Of course, law is written that buyer and seller negotiate that, but in practice, it's the agents talking it over as to where the transaction should close.

This would be different in other markets and probably really different in Attorney states, but in Texas, we don't use attorneys with the closings, only the title company, so we go where we know we're going to get returned calls and get to closing on time. Some title companies feel it's none of their business to "follow up" to help the lender make sure they stay on time. Good title companies/reps help ensure everyone is on the same page throughout the transaction.

Bottonline, it's not you looking for reviews and good customer service, it's your agent who knows where to go.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:22 PM

450 posts, read 549,561 times
$20k both time, escrow company kept it until closing.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:54 PM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
Usually around here it's $1K - $2K for a median priced home.

I put down $5K in earnest money for the house I bought this summer, because (for complicated reasons) this neighborhood has recently become a really "hot" seller's market. Several other buyers were interested and I wanted to do anything and everything I could to get the seller's attention focused on my full price cash offer, and make sure I got this particular house.

I guess it worked, because I got the house and I am typing from there right now.

(I know I have mentioned about 34059876 times that I bought this house so I'm sorry for being so repetitive! I just cannot fully explain or express how happy I feel about it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
and who did you give it to?
It was a certified check and I was told to make it out to the seller's real estate agent's company. I delivered it to my real estate agent's company and I guess he or someone else at his company took it over there. It went into escrow.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 08-28-2015 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-28-2015, 08:28 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
In northwest Arkansas, they told me they don't take earnest money deposits, so I'm under contract without putting any deposit down.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:18 AM

440 posts, read 1,681,957 times
1%-2% of the listing price, and it should be written out to the title company to be held in escrow.

If you're doing an option fee, typically $100-$200. If you want to be a strong offer, I say $250+.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:24 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Here, the earnest money goes to the escrow company when you open a new escrow. On a $500,000 home typically the EMD is $5000 with an additional $5000 or $10,000 deposited upon satisfaction of the inspection contingency. It also depends on what type of financing the buyer is getting. A USDA or VA loan, could be $1000 to show good faith then it's credited back because they're getting a 100% loan. Is the person putting 10, 15 or 20% down? All funds would be due by a certain date, deposited with the escrow company. Signing is a few days prior to recordation. Then the loan funds, transaction is recorded which is the actual closing in Hawaii.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:37 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
We have a contract in negotiations on a $75K list property [normal here where I live}, When we executed the contract, the realtor asked for the earnest monies, I asked "how much, $1k or $2k?"...he said "$1k would be enough. "

AND he said they 'don't deposit the check until offer negotiations are finished". i put off the contract a day until I could get the monies out of Money Market account into the checking to CYA {or CMA}

WHY? Because , WHen my parents bought their house {a few decades ago} they were told the same {the check isn't cashed until offer is firmed up}, and the realtor CASHED the check on my parents, knowing my parents needed to transfer monies to the checking account to make it good, and naturally, it bounced, which made egg-on-face for my parents!!!

SO Since I NEVER write a check I can't cover, and the "artificial floor" I have in the checking account {money not in the register when the account register says "$0.00"}. Isn't enough to cover the $1k check, I waited and transferred the monies FIRST, THEN wrote/handed over the check to the realtor.

Just an "alert to you" regardless of how much a Earnest money check they want!

Old 08-29-2015, 07:49 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
I think 1 to 2k, in Colorado Springs. I ensured the contract was structured to give me easy opt outs that wouldn't waste my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate