Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 12:02 PM

232 posts, read 804,752 times

Advertisements

Tried to search online as much as I can to find out about this company.

I'm negotiating on a house that was an employee relo.

From my understanding, the house was a "buy out". In other words - correct me if I'm wrong - SIRVA had an assessment done on the house, and then bought it from the employee? So SIRVA technically owns the house now and is selling it? Or does the employer that hired SIRVA own the house?

Reason i ask is - SIRVA would obviously due their due diligence on a house before buying it, since they have to resell it now (e.g. have the employee make repairs). Furthermore, I'm assuming SIRVA would try to buy the house for the lowest possible price they could. Apparently, my offer is coming in below the price that SIRVA bought the house for -- so says the listing agent. I would assume the price that SIRVA paid is not visible on MLS for me to verify a bluff?

Thanks

Last edited by odie91; 09-05-2015 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 02:15 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
You should ask the mods to move this to the real estate section. Have you asked your agent?

Old 09-05-2015, 03:18 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
There is no definitive answer. Each employee that receives a relo package that involves SIRVA receives a different relo package.

A couple of things you can assume: SIRVA did an appraisal or had 2-4 broker price opinions done before paying the owners. Typically a relo company such as SIRVA will not let an employee list much above that appraisal or the average of those broker price opinions. SIRVA does not buy it at the lowest price. They buy it at a price that is "fair" to the person being relocated.

Again--SIRVA may now own it, or an actual person may own it. It will vary based upon the relo package the owner's company offers. Given that you said it was a buy out, SIRVA probably owns it.

Whether the agent is bluffing--who knows? I doubt it. Agents that work with relo companies are typically paying the relo company a big %age of the commission. They just want it sold as there is often a lot of weekly paper work with relo companies, and they are taking a big cut in their paycheck.

Whether or not you can find out the purchase price depends upon your local area. Many areas in the country make sales prices public information through the assessor's office or something similar. It would not be available to you in the MLS just as any sale may/may not be available to you.

If you're looking for a bargain, relos are typically not a source of such.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:19 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Sirva will buy & record the deed before your deed is recorded. Like a one two punch. They will not buy is for the lowest amount possible. They are hired to pay market value so the employee can move with piece of mind.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:10 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
As was said, there are many options. I have known relo companies to be in control even when the seller still owns the property, to want to be the ones that see all the many many pages of facts on paper, things normally mostly spoken, and updates to them weekly on reams of paperwork. I have known them to act experienced when they have no idea how things go in an area. I have known them to actually accept the low list price of a realtor they have already worked with...but when the owner complained and said they have a better realtor in mind they said well, we'll try her, etc.

I have never known any, including sirva, to charge the listing company less than 40% back to them, a 40% referral fee. So it works best if a realtor wants to work with them in bulk or if the realtor presents well but is new and trying to build up business or get a sign in a certain neighborhood.

Right now, a friend, who hates the process, is working with them only because the sellers are friends and want him.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:35 AM

232 posts, read 804,752 times
thanks for the replies.

i just wanted to do some due diligence before potentially going contingent on this property, as the seller (Sirva?) ended up countering at a price that is significantly below the price that Sirva bought the house for from the employee. so i guess that's a good thing. the supposed purchase price does seem believable -- however i have lived in the community for 30 years and know for a fact the house would never sell on the market at this price, despite it being the fair market value that two assessors valued it at. i guess the thing i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is that Sirva would buy a house for X amount of dollars and then resell it for a 15% loss 5 months later -- hence my skepticism. does the employer pay off the difference? and to clarify, the realtor did specifically state "the owner accepted a buy out from Sirva".

Old 09-06-2015, 09:04 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Due diligence is more about the property and its inclusions than why is SIRVA selling at this price.

If you think it's a good deal, take it. If not, then NEXT.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:10 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Do I understand correctly you don't have your own realtor who could look up the owner and what price it last sold for very quickly?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:29 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie91 View Post
thanks for the replies.

does the employer pay off the difference? .
Once again, EVERY repo package is different, but I never ran into a situation that the employer paid the price difference.

If anything, SIRVA or the employer would pay the employee a "bonus" if the property was sold in a certain amount of time. This allowed the employee to take a lower offer and still come out financially sound. It also prevented the property from languishing on the books.

As others said, don't worry about the price SIRVA paid or why, etc. If you want the property make an offer and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate