Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 02:48 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i know we do not charge anywhere near that , we get a few hundred but if it makes the sale over someone elses it is worth every penny .
near what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 02:49 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
the few thousand someone mentioned above . i don't know what others charge but our hdr packages run a few hundred bucks . we only do it locally though , mostly for business websites .

they take quite a bit of processing time after the shoot . we are thinking of getting in to real estate photography but it is a whole different aspect of photography then what we do now although we use quite a bit of hdr for other things . but the tone mapping technique is different from what we do as we go for a more artistic than natural look .. not what you want for show casing a house ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How many thousands of dollars will you spend on photos?

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-05-2015 at 03:01 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 03:02 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Let's answer the original question: Why do some realtors take such awful pictures of homes?

Because, they are:
idiots
cheap

I know that we put our house on the market for $740K in late 2010, our agent hired a pro to take photos. I assume it cost no more than $200.
They were not HDR.
They looked very good, in my opinion. See Index of /English/Images/Photos_Original photos from 20101108

When evaluating a potential selling agent, I would always look at previous listings and the photos.

I do know an agent who blows me away with videos: http://tacomajones.com
Anne hires pros to shoot video and then she edits the video herself.
This http://tacomajones.com/2015/08/12/vi...h-tacoma-home/ is for a house priced under $400K.
This http://tacomajones.com/2015/07/13/vi...front-retreat/ is for a $5M property.
This http://tacomajones.com/2015/03/28/li...wn-gig-harbor/ sold the property in 2 weeks.

Last edited by davebarnes; 09-05-2015 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 03:04 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
i know we do not charge anywhere near that , we get a few hundred but if it makes the sale over someone elses it is worth every penny .
What does that work out to for hourly rate for the typical listing?

Old 09-05-2015, 03:08 PM

about 400 bucks for the job . which is pretty cheap because the shoot may take an hour but the processing time can take a couple of hours . but think about it ,today the entire interest in a home can come from internet exposure .

the ability to see light to dark and everything in between can make a difference .

we just used that technique at the cloisters in nyc where dark rooms , bright streaming light and no flash allowed make for some of the most difficult photography anywhere i have been.

the black and white took me 9 different exposures to capture everything . the single shot left a bright white smoosh in the center with no view down the hall and dark shadows all around that were crushed .. you can see right in to the room at the other end now .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-05-2015 at 03:18 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 03:21 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
about 400 bucks for the job . which is pretty cheap because the shoot may take an hour but the processing time can take a couple of hours . but think about it ,today the entire interest in a home can come from internet exposure .

the ability to see light to dark and everything in between can make a difference .

we just used that technique at the cloisters in nyc where dark rooms , bright streaming light and no flash allowed make for some of the most difficult photography anywhere i have been.

the black and white took me 9 different exposures to capture everything . the single shot left a bright white smoosh in the center with no view down the hall .

Nice stuff! But, that level of artful quality is not necessary for 95%+ of housing.

And, at $400, people are hiring a hobbyist. At $200, they are getting charity.

I don't support the common terrible photography. I DO support appropriately "good enough" photography as a realistic approach to presentation.
I am far from a professional photographer. But, I care about the marketing images. No one has ever been able to tell me how much more any of my listings would sell for if a client paid for a professional photographer.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 PM

no one can tell you how much more you will sell if you had photos that attracted the most attention .

but you can always try it . think of it as trying a new product line . if it does not work don't do it . if it does bring more traffic than you found the key to success .

Old 09-05-2015, 03:30 PM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
You need a professional photographer who knows how to get proper angles, for most appealing shot, with an wide angle lens (very key here). Smart phones don't have wide angle lenses, and professional photographers can make a dark area, look brighter with various photo filters, and techniques. The realtor should help stage the home, and it's up to you to make sure it's properly staged, uncluttered and clean looking.

I would also avoid taking too many pics, take just enough to get a mouth watering to see more. For example, my laundry room is blah looking, who wants to see that? It's an assumption there's a laundry room, so don't show it. Take photos of the major rooms in the home, and make sure they look pristine, even if they're outdated.

Natural light is very important too, and turn on all the interior lights.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:37 PM

wide angle lenses have lots of geometric distortions to deal with . walls falling backwards , walls falling sideways etc .

that is why i say if we do it we have to learn it . learning to deal with and correct the oddity's of wide angle lenses is a course all by itself .

you can see my center building is pretty straight but look at the side buildings .

shots like these it does not matter but interior shots look bad with falling walls .

Old 09-05-2015, 03:41 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
@mathjak107

I think MikeJaquish is pushing back because his photos are quite good.
753 Powell Drive, Raleigh, NC

Mike is abnormal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate