Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:29 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what realty sites folks are using that

a. don't include a mapping function that lets you see location of the home.
b. don't include pictures unless you register .... certainly they're being carried on Realtor.com
c. don't display school information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 11:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
And then there are the ever so helpful words like HURRY, WON'T LAST!!! Or "Seller says Sell!" Especially if the place is a dump.
I always like the ones that say "Hurry, won't last!" And then it has been listed for 100+ days. What was that about not lasting?

Old 09-07-2015, 11:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
My favorite listing descriptions are the ones where it's obvious the seller felt the need to add things after the agent had run the description by them.
Yes, I read one like that today. It had a long description of the kitchen updates, the bathroom updates, when the roof and everything were last replaced.... Then the very last sentence was "Did not flood in '93." Great... Wouldn't have thought there would be any flooding in that location.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:34 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBilly View Post
I review 20-30 listings everyday(work) I look @ pics 1st and read comments maybe 10% of the time..
pics say 1000 words..

me too.
When you see so many pics, you pretty much have an idea what the home is like. Most homes are unremarkable. I don't have patience for flowery essays.
I noticed lately that agents who are not quite competent in English have hired photographers to write the descriptions for them, which end up as flowery essays.
(These photogs offer package deals where they hand you a listing ready to publish)

I'm surprised more people don't skip the description the same way they skip bad photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I actually like phrases like "motivated seller" because that means potential low ball offers accepted.
I see a bunch of 'motivated seller' comments, and I find the opposite to be true.
Their asking price is usually inflated, they don't accept low offers, and the listing usually expires.
Doesn't show motivation to me.

Listing agent writes "motivated seller" knowing that he took an overpriced listing.
He's hoping some buyer's agent submits an offer so he can use the offer to convince the seller to come down in price, which listing agent failed to do when he initially signed the listing contract. Listing agent wants buyer's agents to save his ass.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:38 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I always read the listing description as well as the last time it sold, property taxes and so forth. I actually find it annoying when there is no description, makes me wonder why.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:40 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
I just told my realtor yesterday to revise the wording in my listing. I know when my sister and I were looking at houses we always read the listing. Sometimes there are features not shown in the pictures. In my case mentioning that there is also a family room and not just a living room was a big deal. The pictures don't show them as two different rooms.
When my realtor's assistant wrote our home's description, it sounded great overall. However, there was one word I asked him to change, a word I thought was quite important. He called our 2300 sq foot home "cozy." A 2300 sq feet 4 bedroom, 2 bath home with two living areas, a detached garage, and big backyard is not cozy. An 800 sq foot cottage is cozy. So he changed the word "cozy" to "spacious." That one word change might have made a big difference, because the home ultimately sold to a couple with three small children

Old 09-08-2015, 07:16 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times
What do you think of the Redfin agent comments in a listing? Redfin.com is a popular site that I like because it updates frequently, but I don't trust their comments much.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:27 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I always like the ones that say "Hurry, won't last!" And then it has been listed for 100+ days. What was that about not lasting?
I just figured it out. They are worried it will fall apart before it is sold!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:14 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,015 times
I love reading them. Poor grammar and obvious lies are common in listings. LOL the photos are even better. Some look like they were taken with a 2003 cell phone camera at night.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:55 AM

306 posts, read 549,738 times
I replaced all my bulbs with LED, it was expensive, but if I was to move I would take them with me and put in those crappy cheap CFLs, so I would go ahead and leave that off my listing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate