Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:31 PM

7,301 posts, read 12,212,645 times

Advertisements

I would like to know, does anyone have any experiences with HOAs concerning the use of pink exterior lights for either Valentine's Day or Breast Cancer Awareness Month? I thought about buying some pink bulbs at Home Depot and putting them up on our light fixtures for next month as well as from mid-January through Valentine's Day, however, I am a bit concerned we may get fined for them. I could ask our HOA themselves, however, I would like to know what most HOAs feel about the use of pink lights.

For Christmas I know red and green lights are okay, since we used them last year. However, I am a bit concerned that pink lights might cause a problem. Their use especially for the month of October is especially concerning, since it may conflict with other homes that have orange/black lights for Halloween.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 10:47 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,032,663 times
My HOA would not care. Yours? I haven't got the faintest idea. You need to call the management company or whoever your contact is and ask them.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:55 PM

7,301 posts, read 12,212,645 times
Well, my concern is how many HOAs feel towards the color pink. Most HOAs will not allow you to paint your house pink, many don't allow pink plastic flamingoes, and I have heard about some horror stories about pink playhouses for little girls. I wonder if many HOAs have a similar policy about the use of pink lights during the month of October and/or around Valentine's Day.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:13 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,346,134 times
What's in your "house rules" about holiday decorations? Do they recognize October's Breast Awareness Month as a national holiday? It's not a holiday so I kind of doubt it.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:57 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,551,931 times
One HOA can be very different than the one next to it so it's not really about "many HOAs" as it is about your HOA.

How you know about your HOA is to refer to your CC&Rs, your bylaws. If you don't have time to look for it at the moment (although you should go through the paperwork for your own edification one day) just call whoever is in charge at your HOA...an office, the board president.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:12 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,077,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
One HOA can be very different than the one next to it so it's not really about "many HOAs" as it is about your HOA.

How you know about your HOA is to refer to your CC&Rs, your bylaws. If you don't have time to look for it at the moment (although you should go through the paperwork for your own edification one day) just call whoever is in charge at your HOA...an office, the board president.
^^^ My HOA doesn't care. I agree with the statement above, you have to find out what YOUR HOA allows. Every October many in my sub put up the pink lights or change the light bulbs in their outdoor light fixtures to the pink ones. We also have a trash company in our county for an extra 5 dollars per year, you have have a pink trash can.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:00 AM

19,362 posts, read 27,584,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
My HOA would not care. Yours? I haven't got the faintest idea. You need to call the management company or whoever your contact is and ask them.
This. But I woukd contact them be email, not phone. That way, I've got it in writing.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:40 PM

17,672 posts, read 29,566,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
many don't allow pink plastic flamingoes
Bâtards!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Featherstone_(artist) was an American hero!

Old 09-08-2015, 02:39 PM

8,222 posts, read 8,541,153 times
I would have to say no. We have lighting rules in that they have to be clear and on all night 365 days a year. We pay for the bulbs and sensors. Our snowbirds don't like it because they have to keep their electricity on when they are gone for 6 months.

From your previous posts on this color I am thinking you just want the pink bulbs and are looking for any reason to use them.

We allow small ornaments and decorations. I have no problem with pink flamingos.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:23 PM

22,617 posts, read 36,530,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Well, my concern is how many HOAs feel towards the color pink. Most HOAs will not allow you to paint your house pink, many don't allow pink plastic flamingoes, and I have heard about some horror stories about pink playhouses for little girls. I wonder if many HOAs have a similar policy about the use of pink lights during the month of October and/or around Valentine's Day.
It doesn't matter what other HOAs think, that was the point of the other post. Mine wouldn't care, I would not even notice if someone put up a different colored outside light. Our HOA is fairly relaxed and even when they send a nastygram as we call them, they back off fairly quickly unless it's a neighbor complaint and from what I can tell those are rare. Soooo. You live in your HOA, we don't - what's the vibe there? Holiday and other decs are not specifically addressed in our covenants by the way. In fact at Christmas we have a competition for biggest light display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate