Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 12:34 AM

211 posts, read 340,748 times

Advertisements

For the past year my wife and I have been taking our time looking at houses and have been in no rush. We have been working with one particular agent, but now as we close in the time to pull the trigger we may have an unexpected opportunity. A family member is interested in selling us their home well below market value. There is a pretty good chance we will take them up on the offer. If so, I see no need to involve agent fees or anything like that; the sale will be outright in cash. I've stayed in the house plenty myself over the past 20+ years and I know exactly what I am getting with it.

If we do this I don't think I'm under any particular obligation to compensate the agent we've been working with, but I would like to compensate her in some way for the time, energy, and mileage she has expended in helping us. That said, it also seems like it could be one of those situations where by trying to do the right thing maybe there is some legal clause that she could cry foul on and make a small claims case against us if she wanted? In other words, if we gave her a nice little cut, but she didn't get to be involved in the process could she muddy things up for us if she took the news badly? Also, what would be appropriate compensation anyways?

This will be in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 06:12 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
You have no legal obligation, after you buy you can offer a gift, or you can ask her how much it would cost to use her services for the closing or any other paper work that you can't do yourself.

If she takes the news badly then you don't have to worry about a gift. I'm sure it happens. As long as you have been serious and not wasting the person's time you should be okay. Calculate how many hours she took you out for and give her at least $10 an hour plus a gas card, Gas is cheap now too.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:37 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
One thing you can offer that is quite valuable to an agent is to be useful as a reference and to recommend her to your friends and colleagues. Also, are gift cards allowed in this case? If so a couple hundred in gas cards or the like would seem appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate