Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:24 PM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I guess it is because I live in a part of the country where most people are still friendly and honest, but I always think it is very "conspiracy theory" when people say not to hire the [inspector, escrow officer, attorney, plumber, lender, etc] that your real estate agent suggests. I know in my office, we recommend the person we know is most likely to do a good job and get the job done. That person likely gives our clients a good price because we send a lot of business their way, but we don't get any benefit from that, we just have the warm and fuzzy of knowing the client will most likely be happy with the work and the price. Happy clients means more referrals and repeat business.

I've never once had a person in our office purposely choose someone other than who we recommend just because we recommend them. This seems like such a strange concept to me. I suppose that makes me naïve. The most "kickback" our office gets from anyone I listed above is perhaps a thank you for the business Christmas card. MAYBE a box of muffins or a cake on holidays. That's it.
It's not that you should never trust an inspector recommended by a realtor, but it's better to err on the side of caution and get your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 09:34 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Hire a private detective.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:15 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
As a prospective buyer, I will research the dickens out of the house and the neighborhood, far beyond what is seen and what is on the disclosure report and what appears in the inspection reports. And that includes new construction.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:45 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Being I'm with NoiseFreeAmerica and other Noise sites, and I was astonished to find out, true or not, the number 1 reason for housing relocations is due to noise factors.

Perhaps, perhaps, there's a noisy neighbor in the neighborhood! Someone with one too many barking dogs that can't be controlled?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:27 AM

513 posts, read 646,225 times
The only thing I can tell you if you have a hunch and want to proceed with making an offer, is to do your due diligence. You can always talk to neighbors, research permits, make sure you hire good inspector, and research the area to make sure that there are no developments are in the works that may adversely affect the property.
I sold my 4 BR house a few years ago because it was starting to feel very small. When my husband and I bought it, we thought it was a great size we could grow into. After two kids, the house started to feel small very quickly. We, too, sold at a slight loss, but an opportunity came up to buy a larger house in a community with better schools. Since we could afford it, we went for it.
The situation may be similar for these sellers. They bought a house, had kids, and it started to feel small. They finished the basement for more space, but then found another house that suits them better.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:57 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
My guess would be they are selling for financial reasons.

You know, like these similar situations:

1. A person goes and purchases a new car, only to trade or sell it later for a ton less than they paid.

2. A person buys a used car, soups it up, and then sells it at a loss.

Why?! There could be a myriad of reasons!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:20 AM

96 posts, read 65,076 times
In light of the OP's question-does it help to let the Realtors know why a home is being sold if it is a positive reason:

We plan to put ours home on only because we are moving to another town where all three of our married children live.

We've been here for 17 years; school district is one of the best in the area; hot market.

Would a positive spin on the info why we are selling help prospective buyers??

Old 09-16-2015, 09:26 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You can't, unless the seller specifically tells you. (And even then, would you believe them?)

You get an inspection by a good home inspector, with a more detailed follow up of any serious findings by an appropriately trained individual (such as a structural engineer, electrician, etc.). And you visit the neighborhood multiple times at different times of the day to look for issues.

A fully finished basement reveals as much as it hides. People who live in houses with serious water issues don't finish their basements.

As for home inspections not being foolproof, well, you shouldn't buy any house if you want completely stress-free living. Because even if the house has no problems when you first move in, sooner or later it will develop some. That's just what houses do!
I bought a brand new house a few months ago. Had it inspected etc..........Last week water was running down my hallway wall in a one level house. Home ownership is great!!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:49 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Being I'm with NoiseFreeAmerica and other Noise sites, and I was astonished to find out, true or not, the number 1 reason for housing relocations is due to noise factors.

Perhaps, perhaps, there's a noisy neighbor in the neighborhood! Someone with one too many barking dogs that can't be controlled?
I have to call BS that noise is the number one reason for relocation. Especially with the biased sources you listed.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:01 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Why is it even relevant?

You should do your due diligence to assess the current value of the home, and then whether or not a deal can be made will come down to whether you and the seller can agree on that value.

The motivations of the seller are irrelevant.
Despite all but one poster saying something similar I believe that for the average American homebuyer this info is relevant. I can understand not wanting to divulge financial or martial information as this may tip off the buyer that the seller is "motivated" or noisy neighbors may turn off most buyers, but still, there are no "lemon" laws for homebuyers as far as I am aware except in extreme cases. Considering the costs and financial risks involved I believe that the buyer should be armed with as much info as possible before buying. As another poster mentioned what you may think of as noisy neighbors another homeowner may see peace and quite.

Buying and selling homes in the U.S. is one of the oddest activities we can become involved with; in many ways it simply makes zero sense if you stop and think about. Of course you'll say it's of no one's business; you want to sell the home as quickly as possible.

Nearly all on here are talking about the potential buyer doing their due diligence, and I agree, but there is only so far a potential buyer can go. No matter who well you look into it there will always be something that was missed. Where such info might matter is when the reasons match up. That is, if the seller is selling for Reason X, and Reason X is on the buyer's list of deal breakers, then that is info that the buyer should be aware of.

With that, the OP is a psychotherapist; and as such likely believes that there are always underlining motivations. So from the OPs perspective it makes sense to be skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate