Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:06 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

I'm sure that the people I sold to can't all still be there. Surely some of those properties have resold, maybe many times. But I've never been by when there was a for sale sign on any of them.

It's a sad thing to drive by and see all my careful landscaping and trees have been allowed to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 02:01 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

It's a sad thing to drive by and see all my careful landscaping and trees have been allowed to die.
I was not much of a gardener but the new owners are worse. The grass is mostly gone and overtaken with weeds. The front bushes haven't been shaped either.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:13 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Pretty much par for the course here in California and I say this know there are water restrictions...

Last year my brother sold his home... many overbids and well qualified buyers...

The couple that bought loved the landscaping... truly parklike... lush areas of lawn... islands of flowers... trees beautifully placed... front, back and sides...

Now it looks like just another house in the area... they asked in detail about the 8 irrigation zones with drip and misters...

My brother learned from an old neighbor they just turned off all outdoor watering...

Old 09-27-2015, 04:46 PM

442 posts, read 593,498 times
The house I grew up in was on the market last summer, so of course I had to tour. It had been more than 20 years since I had seen the inside of it, and they hadn't changed a thing in my old bedroom or bathroom — and every room felt really tiny.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:30 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
My parents bought the house that I grew up in for $3,500 back in 1933. We recently saw it for sale online for $495,000.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:07 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
No, the folks we sold it to are still there (per my former neighbors), and have done some work on the outside (thanks, Google Earth). I like all of what they have done to the outside, so I'm sure the inside looks great, too.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
Quote:
The previous owners of our current house were avid gardeners - the backyard was amazing. But it was also something that required advanced gardening know how. I knew they were relocating in the local area and might be tempted to do a drive-by, so I warned the wife that I was NOT a gardener and that I recommended she take any plantings she may have particular fondness for. She said she was not attached to any of it and I could do whatever I wanted.

Good thing, because we are ten years in the house and it is ALL GONE NOW except for two azalea bushes. We even removed a bunch of stuff that was planted in the front of the house because it blocked the view of the front door and made it too easy for someone to possibly break in without anyone seeing them in action. We kept the shrubs under the windows, but that's about it.

I'm all about low-maintenance gardening (read: evergreens are preferable).

Old 09-28-2015, 11:16 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,137 times
Quote:
I'm sure that the people I sold to can't all still be there. Surely some of those properties have resold, maybe many times. But I've never been by when there was a for sale sign on any of them.

No offense but one person's idea of landscaping beauty is not another's. I am in the process of ripping out all of the exotic bushes and tiny trees that the previous owner had put in. I am in the northwest and they planted things to make the yard look like it is in southern Florida. The yard looks entirely transplanted and out of character for the area. I will be putting in privacy hedges along the cyclone fence and covering most of the barked area with a simple grass. I hate a busy looking yard.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:23 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Sounds like a botanical garden...

The thing to remember is once it is sold you don't own it.

I have seen buyers regret in letting things go only to find out what it would cost to replace or even go with a modest landscape.

In my part of California it is not uncommon to find buyers paying top dollar for a home and then totally neglect the outside... especially the landscaping.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:27 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
Sold my condo near the height of the market to an investor who rented it out. I thought about purchasing it back about 5 years later when he had it up for sale for about $40K less than what he paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate