Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 11:01 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,660,310 times

Advertisements

Interesting scenario presented on the Dave Ramsey show recently: Buyers of a home found a stash of cash in the attic, and wondered what they should do with it.

https://www.facebook.com/daveramsey/...3189668770886/

What would YOU do if this happened to you as a buyer? As a seller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 11:02 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
All contents become yours! Pay down that mortgage.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:06 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,797,937 times
Obviously Walter White was the previous owner. Give it back Pronto! No good can come of this!

Old 09-29-2015, 11:19 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
I would call the sellers and return it. I have too much of a guilty conscious.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
You know, if I found a couple dollars in a drawer, I'm not going to go out of my way for that. If they asked, I'd give it to them, but I'm not going to chase someone down for $5 or less that was left in my house. A wallet with $5 along with credit cards and ID, sure, since there is more than just the money at stake there. Items of possible sentimental value, but no real monetary value, yes, definitely. But just a few dollars cash, not going to worry about it. That is what I would expect from others, too. $5 or less is not worth my time to chase it down. Pocket change when it comes to the sale of a house. So golden rule applies.

But for the $6000 this person found, I find it a sad reflection on society today that it was even a question. First of all, most contracts explicitly state that all seller's personal possessions are excluded from the sale, so it legally wouldn't be my money. Secondly, ethically, it isn't even a question. Of course it isn't my money.

The question is, if this is a really old house, and the prior owner didn't live there forever, whose money is it to give it back to. If it was an old wedding album, or something, that is easy to figure out, but cash, not so much.

I'd probably contact the prior owner and tell them I found something of value in the attic, and ask if they might have forgotten something. Maybe describe the bag and see if they know the contents, or something. If they said they never used the attic, then see if I could find out who the prior owner was. If I couldn't track them down after a reasonable good faith effort, then MAYBE I could justify keeping it.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:04 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Default Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
You know, if I found a couple dollars in a drawer, I'm not going to go out of my way for that. If they asked, I'd give it to them, but I'm not going to chase someone down for $5 or less that was left in my house. A wallet with $5 along with credit cards and ID, sure, since there is more than just the money at stake there. Items of possible sentimental value, but no real monetary value, yes, definitely. But just a few dollars cash, not going to worry about it. That is what I would expect from others, too. $5 or less is not worth my time to chase it down. Pocket change when it comes to the sale of a house. So golden rule applies.

But for the $6000 this person found, I find it a sad reflection on society today that it was even a question. First of all, most contracts explicitly state that all seller's personal possessions are excluded from the sale, so it legally wouldn't be my money. Secondly, ethically, it isn't even a question. Of course it isn't my money.

The question is, if this is a really old house, and the prior owner didn't live there forever, whose money is it to give it back to. If it was an old wedding album, or something, that is easy to figure out, but cash, not so much.

I'd probably contact the prior owner and tell them I found something of value in the attic, and ask if they might have forgotten something. Maybe describe the bag and see if they know the contents, or something. If they said they never used the attic, then see if I could find out who the prior owner was. If I couldn't track them down after a reasonable good faith effort, then MAYBE I could justify keeping it.

Huge

Some person must've done something and put that cash there, I don't care if they were "cooking up meth" / snuck out of the Armenian Money Train heist or some sad old guy with dementia , it was "earned" one way or another and deserved to be "reunited" with the person that stashed it or their heirs.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:

This exactly.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:31 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,660,310 times
Quote:
Being the analytical sort, I think I'd look at the dates on the bills and see what the latest date was -- for example, if the latest date was 1994, and the previous owners didn't buy the house until 2004, then it probably didn't belong to the previous owners. :-)

So many different scenarios -- was it a stash by someone who lived through the Depression and didn't trust banks? An immigrant who has a distrust of banks? A stash from a drug sale? A hidden nest egg by a woman who was a victim of domestic abuse? You could write a novel!!

Old 09-29-2015, 02:08 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,626,929 times
Thing is, if you ask them if they left a bag of money behind would they honestly say no if they hadn't?

Dave Ramsey is right. It matters how much time has gone by. If you find after living there for decades maybe it's yours. Maybe.

I think I would have to get I touch with the previous owner.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:19 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,756,930 times
I would think the house sellers would contact the new buyer when they realized they'd left a large sum of money (unless they are drug sellers or something and don't even miss it?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate