Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 08:04 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times

Advertisements

I finally got around to approaching the neighbor about buying a little extra land adjacent to my rear lot line. I just looked up their number and called them. Their house and acreage has been for sale for 9 months, the price has been reduced 28%, they have already bought the place they are moving to. In our conversation, they admit they might have to break up the house and acreage to sell separately. To my proposal to buy 1/4 to 1 acre to extend the rear of my lot, without any thought or consideration, "Oh no, we wouldn't want to do anything like that". I felt like they didn't think I was worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 08:28 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I finally got around to approaching the neighbor about buying a little extra land adjacent to my rear lot line. I just looked up their number and called them. Their house and acreage has been for sale for 9 months, the price has been reduced 28%, they have already bought the place they are moving to. In our conversation, they admit they might have to break up the house and acreage to sell separately. To my proposal to buy 1/4 to 1 acre to extend the rear of my lot, without any thought or consideration, "Oh no, we wouldn't want to do anything like that". I felt like they didn't think I was worthy.
Well, I guess you weren't in a hurry. I trust that you didn't waste your time contacting a surveyor or determining how to split off and combine the parcel with your lot. Like I mentioned 10 months ago, it would probably be more hassle to the Seller than it would be worth to split off such a small piece from a 50-acre parcel. You'd really need to be good friends with the Seller for most people to consider selling such a small piece. Oh well. At least you finally got your answer.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:28 PM

Nope, no hurry. It was probably 10 minutes on the phone with a surveyer to find out if it was a difficult thing to do. Cost nothing, knowledge gained, I don't think it was time wasted. I'm patient. The neighbor could change his mind. A new owner might be more willing. Depending on what a new owner wants to do, he may need me to sign off on a varience

Old 08-02-2016, 10:50 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You could always buy the whole parcel, do a lot line adjustment and re-sell the larger piece, very likely for what you paid with no reduction for the 1/2 acre you took off.

Or, if there is any building going on locally, subdivide the large parcel into "ranchette" size parcels and sell those as building sites to city folks who want to move to the country and raise a few chickens.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:26 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You could always buy the whole parcel, do a lot line adjustment and re-sell the larger piece, very likely for what you paid with no reduction for the 1/2 acre you took off.
The costs involved to buy and sell 50 acres would most likely exceed the value of any small parcel to be retained. It would be better for the OP to approach the owner again, acknowledging that he knows that selling a small portion is not something that they had in mind, but that it would really help him if they would consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Or, if there is any building going on locally, subdivide the large parcel into "ranchette" size parcels and sell those as building sites to city folks who want to move to the country and raise a few chickens.
Please. Don't encourage people to become speculators.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:32 PM

I should have updated this. The parcel of interest is a little over 20 acres. A 50 acre parcel is further over and shares no boundery with my property. At first I misunderstood which was where.

I'll just keep an eye on this in case some opportunity should arise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate