Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:49 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Get Quartz. Least hassle of all.
This. There are some beautiful, marble-looking quartz counters. Get the look without the hassle.

https://roomology.wordpress.com/2012...arble-round-2/

And yes, while I love the look of marble, I wouldn't want the upkeep and it would be a concern to me if I were buying a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 03:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
How about fix the home the way you want it and forget about what other people think. Something else to think about is why not just stay there in the first place and not sell at all. Is there a reason you would need to sell?

Old 10-06-2015, 03:53 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Marble isn't meant for the heavy duty nature of kitchen counters. I second looking at other stone that mimics the look of marble if you really like that look. That said, at least out here, marble is very taste specific and generally not liked by buyers. If you are concerned about resale, it isn't something I would choose.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:46 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,655,631 times
I'd take marble over granite. It has character. At least marble doesn't give off radioactive gas like granite.

Your literally risking your life with granite. Know who tests your granite for levels of radioactive gas? No one. Your on your own.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:11 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I'd take marble over granite. It has character. At least marble doesn't give off radioactive gas like granite.

Your literally risking your life with granite. Know who tests your granite for levels of radioactive gas? No one. Your on your own.
All naturally occurring mineral based items give off radon, don't being stupid. The EPA has already done tests on granite, and a great many other items, and concluded that they are generally safe. The list of items that give off radon also includes cement, glass, clay, marble, and a whole long list of any other item that come from the earth. As a matter of fact the soil around your home will give off more radon than everything else in your home combined so stop trying to scare people.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:22 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Get what you want! It's your house! Unless you're planning on selling in a few months, don't worry about it. I may love your marble....meanwhile the lady after me looking at your kitchen may hate it and love laminate....the next person could love tile....the next loves granite....the next loves soap stone.....next butcher block....next quartz.....next tree bark....do what you like. When it comes to buying a house, very few will not buy a house based on a countertop alone!
Now THAT would be interesting to see, LOL, tree bark countertops.:

Old 10-06-2015, 05:38 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:

While it is true that granite gives off radon, most studies have shown that the levels are the same as the natural earth that we absorb everyday. I think in the Texas study it was like 97% of granite barely registered any radon, and I think the top radon emitter was in the 4's. The Marble Institute did one too, but that's kind of a conflict of interest, but their results were similar.

You are breathing radon right now. We all are. Uranium continues to decay as we breathe.

Anything that has stone, minerals, sand, etc in it will give off some type of radiation.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:53 PM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
I hear marble stains easily too.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:

Have you had your house tested for radon? If not, the granite in the kitchen is the least of your worries.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:49 PM

524 posts, read 574,592 times
I don't care for marble, but I wouldn't not buy a house because it had it. Counter tops are way down on my list of priorities. I never mentioned counter tops, either positively or negatively, in any house we looked at. It is such an easy fix, if everything else about the house works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate