Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 10:39 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I'd take marble over granite. It has character. At least marble doesn't give off radioactive gas like granite.

Your literally risking your life with granite. Know who tests your granite for levels of radioactive gas? No one. Your on your own.
Yawn. We are all going to die. So live your life with aplomb, eat what you want, decorate how you want. Because the next time you step off the sidewalk, you could get hit by a bus or train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 10:41 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Get Corian. Looks better, cheaper, and always repairable. Granite us totally impractical. And unless it's the $150/sq ft, stuff, looks horrible - trailerpark in fact.
Bahaha! Talk about trailer park trash! Corian is the epitome, next to Formica.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:48 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Wrong. Corian, carefully selected, looks like stone and is repairable. Marble and granite on a kitchen counter, stain - often permanently - that's just for starters.
But that's the thing, I don't want it to look like stone...I want it to FEEL like stone. That's why I don't like corian, it feels like plastic. And yes I am a touchy feely person. I like to touch natural things.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:21 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Well -- the thing about Formica and other laminate countertops -- you can get some way cool things with it. When we were looking, we ended up with a medium gray with turquoise, pink and light gray boomerangs. 1950's retro cool. I still love our countertops.

But there was some Italian laminates that were great, and a few places that would take a photo and create your own laminate including some out of this world outer space laminates for some planetarium...

Old 10-08-2015, 02:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Stained concrete.. Looks good, fairly inexpensive and durable...
It seems to me that this would eventually crack, just like a sidewalk. You house may settle or counters would as well. I can see the point of it being heat resistant. However, doesn't that have to be repainted or resealed on a regular basis? Curious

Old 10-08-2015, 06:23 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Marble? Linoleum. It was good enough for Grandma, it's good enough for me.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:33 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Bahaha! Talk about trailer park trash! Corian is the epitome, next to Formica.
I would prefer a house with formica or corian to granite. The reason is..most granite is unattractive or unsuitable for different decorating styles or color schemes. It's also bad for the environment, unless it can be recycled when you have it ripped out.

It's also too busy, and often has a dirty look. Corian can be buffed to get scratches or stains out. It can last forever. Plain white formica is good for selling a house because it has a nice, clean look, is inexpensive, and can be easily replaced. It also doesn't weigh a ton. I don't think it can be recycled either, though. I think corian can be recycled.

Unfortunately, most houses for sale have ugly granite, with a backsplash that doesn't match. I swear I think most of those people have never picked up a decorating magazine or looked at Houzz.com.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Well -- the thing about Formica and other laminate countertops -- you can get some way cool things with it. When we were looking, we ended up with a medium gray with turquoise, pink and light gray boomerangs. 1950's retro cool. I still love our countertops.

But there was some Italian laminates that were great, and a few places that would take a photo and create your own laminate including some out of this world outer space laminates for some planetarium...
Laminates are inexpensive. Everyone knows it. But the thing about having it is....you can have fun with it, since you know it's not permanent. I don't want the same countertop the rest of the my life. I lived with formica for years in apartments and a condo. I never burned or scratched them. But I did break the corner of one once.

But other materials look nicer for the long term. Like ceramic tile, which is a classic. Quartz. And SOME granites are nice (if you can find one that doesn't look like someone upchucked all over it).

Old 10-08-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
Ha ha, tell me about it with the mismatched granite and backsplashes, but what drives me crazy is that people will think they can sell a house with hideous dark brown oak cabinets from 1973 just because they put granite on the countertops. What a waste of granite as it may crack if removed from the countertops in order to replace the 70's cabinets, and what if you decide not to keep the same cabinet layout? I cannot tell you how many homes I've been in where they've decided to just replace the countertops with granite, but the rest of the kitchen is very dated, just to sell the home.

I'm sorry, but people are really clueless sometimes.

Oh and as for corian, I don't know what the newer corian looks like these days, but corian always reminded me of plastic. It has that plastic feel and look to it. I like stone and quartz because they are cold to the touch, and feel/look more substantial.
Regarding corian...yeah, it IS a plastic like substance. But it feels smooth and cool to the touch, and sort of glows, rather than having a matte or shiny surface. I like quartz and ceramic tile. No doubt about it that quartz & ceramic tile have a classier, more expensive look (and they are classier & costlier).

For the home sellers with old kitchens, if you're not going to replace the cabinets (and a homeowner who is selling shouldn't go to that expense), I can see putting in the countertops, if only because the old countertop would have been a hindrance to a sell. If it looks nicer, even tho the cabinets are old, then it might be worth the money. It just may look more pulled together, but the homeowner knows the buyer may want to renovate. Granite has come down in price, so it's more doable these days.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
It seems to me that this would eventually crack, just like a sidewalk. You house may settle or counters would as well. I can see the point of it being heat resistant. However, doesn't that have to be repainted or resealed on a regular basis? Curious
Won't crack, never has to be redone.. The color goes in about an inch, and the concrete is vibrated down to a smoother consistency than a sidewalk....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate