Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 08:36 PM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Regarding corian...yeah, it IS a plastic like substance. But it feels smooth and cool to the touch, and sort of glows, rather than having a matte or shiny surface. I like quartz and ceramic tile. No doubt about it that quartz & ceramic tile have a classier, more expensive look (and they are classier & costlier).

For the home sellers with old kitchens, if you're not going to replace the cabinets (and a homeowner who is selling shouldn't go to that expense), I can see putting in the countertops, if only because the old countertop would have been a hindrance to a sell. If it looks nicer, even tho the cabinets are old, then it might be worth the money. It just may look more pulled together, but the homeowner knows the buyer may want to renovate. Granite has come down in price, so it's more doable these days.
I'm talking about cabinets like these with new granite countertops??? Who would want this? And no countertop is going to make these cabinets look better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:50 PM

524 posts, read 574,592 times
I've had granite, laminate, quartz, marble, and corian counters. I actually like corian, not enough to replace the quartz my house came with, but it was my favourite. It held up to hard water, because you could actually scrub it.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:15 AM

685 posts, read 719,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I'm talking about cabinets like these with new granite countertops??? Who would want this? And no countertop is going to make these cabinets look better.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with those cabinets. They actually look nice to my eyes, but I'm not picky.
Like someone has already mentioned on here about concrete countertops. That would look good with those cabinets. Granite or quartz would look fine to me as well if it had some brown running through it.
Just would have to get rid of the stove and the old looking containers on top of the stove.

In regards to the concrete countertops, here is a link that shows pictures and more info about them. We may go that route the next time we remodel.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/countertops/

As a side note...I really love those countertops with the fossils in them. They are really expensive, but they are neat looking to me. They are also supposed to be hard to maintain. Here are a couple links of what I'm talking about.
http://www.greenriverstone.com/products/kitchen-bath/countertops/
http://kitchen-counter-tops.net/tips/fossil-countertops.html

Last edited by beckerd2; 10-09-2015 at 03:33 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 07:30 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Look into a real stone called quartzite. That's not a brand name, it's a type of stone that really resembles white marble with black/grey veining, but it is much harder and more stain resistant than marble.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:59 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Wrong. Corian, carefully selected, looks like stone and is repairable. Marble and granite on a kitchen counter, stain - often permanently - that's just for starters.
Wrong. Corian NEVER looks like stone! And it is not ALWAYS repairable. Hard water stains do NOT come off. I have Corian walls with burn marks and they don't come off. Sure, I could sand the walls, but the burn is deep so the wall would be carved out....yeah that would look attractive. And Corian is PLASTIC. Might as well make a counter out of soda bottles.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:11 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
I see absolutely nothing wrong with those cabinets. They actually look nice to my eyes, but I'm not picky.
Like someone has already mentioned on here about concrete countertops. That would look good with those cabinets. Granite or quartz would look fine to me as well if it had some brown running through it.
Just would have to get rid of the stove and the old looking containers on top of the stove.

In regards to the concrete countertops, here is a link that shows pictures and more info about them. We may go that route the next time we remodel.

Concrete Countertops - Photos, How to, and Cost - The Concrete Network

As a side note...I really love those countertops with the fossils in them. They are really expensive, but they are neat looking to me. They are also supposed to be hard to maintain. Here are a couple links of what I'm talking about.
http://www.greenriverstone.com/products/kitchen-bath/countertops/
http://kitchen-counter-tops.net/tips/fossil-countertops.html

I've seen those fossil countertops and they're cool. I've also seen some black granite slabs that almost emulate meteorites.

Now this would make for a cool countertop or backsplah in a modern kitchen design, but there's no way you could do this with a real meteorite, and even if you could, they rust!

http://strangesounds.org/wp-content/...-meteorite.jpg

Old 10-09-2015, 08:27 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I have Corian walls with burn marks and they don't come off.
A bit off topic, but I don't think I'm the only one who wants to know. How did you burn your wall? Also, how did you get a wall made of Corian?

Last edited by Moby Hick; 10-09-2015 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: typo fix

Old 10-09-2015, 08:34 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
There is no way you are not going to be able to sell a house simply because it has marble in the kitchen. Don't even think about such a silly idea.

Having said that there are many quartz tops that look like marble and are easier to maintain.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:38 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Wrong. Corian NEVER looks like stone! And it is not ALWAYS repairable. Hard water stains do NOT come off. I have Corian walls with burn marks and they don't come off. Sure, I could sand the walls, but the burn is deep so the wall would be carved out....yeah that would look attractive. And Corian is PLASTIC. Might as well make a counter out of soda bottles.

How funny. You sound like my dad - circa 1962, when he could have essentially "traded up" to a modern house in the suburbs but wouldn't because the (wallboard) walls (a "new" invention) were not wet plaster. He called those houses "cardboard junk." (never mind that they had twice the square footage, a lot twice as big, and an attached garage, etc) all for maybe $1000 sale/purchase difference.

Never had a "water stain" or any stain on my Corian in either house, in 25 years. (but, I would never do white or real light anything for a countertop; that's asking for it - especially stone.)

Old 10-09-2015, 09:39 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
A bit off topic, but I don't think I'm the only one who wants to know. How did you burn your wall? Also, how did you get a wall made of Corian?
I imagine someone burnt the wall with a curling iron. It was here when I moved in. You buy Corian sheets and mount them on the wall. It is the tub surround and they put it on the walls....for some reason...drunk? blind? no taste? loves plastic? weird? Who knows! it looked super sexy with the early 1980's country blue floral wallpaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate