Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 12:57 AM

121 posts, read 164,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I disagree. We have bought houses in four states, 3 in PA. If I pull up to a house and hear barking dogs, I tell the realtor to just move on. We wont even get out of the car. Dog owners are urban terrorists. The noise and feces degrades every neighborhood in varying degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudpuppy View Post
One of the first things I look at when I look at a home is the neighbor's yard to see if there's any signs of a dog. If there is, I move on. I love dogs. I have a dog. But I don't like living next door to most dogs because most dog owners seem to have the attitude that "dogs bark, it's what they do" instead of training their dogs not to bark incessantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
I agree. Most people who own dogs, shouldn't. Half of the dogs out there would be better off being put down ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
Too bad if you don't like it ... If a dog is constantly barking in a yard, it's a stupid dog and should be put down.
I totally agree. I have had and loved nice, well-trained dogs... but after so many years with various neighbors from hell who let their dogs bark day and night... I have really lost any tolerance I had for nuisance dogs and their idiot, inconsiderate owners.

And why does everyone have to have multiple dogs these days? What happened to the family dog? Now it's the family dogs. And "rescuing" dogs, many which were left at the pound because of behavior problems, so people can pat themselves on the back and feel heroic, while their neighbors suffer living next to these nuisance dogs. It's become so ridiculous.

I would never consider buying a home with a barking dog nearby. I don't care how cheap it is.

Barking dogs cause a stress reaction, even in people who don't think they are bothered by it. The body still reacts to it as a threat, which creates a cascade of negative reactions. Over time, your health will suffer.

I really feel terrible for the OP. Such an awful situation for them. I hope they are able to find a solution. It is sad that they will probably have to resort to legal action. I am generally anti-litigious, but the OP is being harmed financially and unfortunately, people who let their dogs bark are extremely inconsiderate and usually don't respond to reason or show concern for other people.

I lived in a townhouse for several years, and the neighbors had two dogs, that literally barked 16 hours a day. The stress from it took a severe toll on my health. The owners were rarely home and just left the dogs outside to bark day and night. I think an appropriate punishment for repeatedly breaking the noise ordinance like that should be to sentence the owners to 30+ days of living and sleeping at the pound, so they can experience what it's like to constantly have to listen to barking dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 01:05 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
The above is all true, however, in any market there will be houses for sale next door to a dog owner or owners.

All of those houses will sell, eventually.

The new owners will be the ones to have to outlive the nuisance dogs next door.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:20 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419 View Post
I totally agree. I have had and loved nice, well-trained dogs... but after so many years with various neighbors from hell who let their dogs bark day and night... I have really lost any tolerance I had for nuisance dogs and their idiot, inconsiderate owners.

And why does everyone have to have multiple dogs these days? What happened to the family dog? Now it's the family dogs. And "rescuing" dogs, many which were left at the pound because of behavior problems, so people can pat themselves on the back and feel heroic, while their neighbors suffer living next to these nuisance dogs. It's become so ridiculous.

I would never consider buying a home with a barking dog nearby. I don't care how cheap it is.

Barking dogs cause a stress reaction, even in people who don't think they are bothered by it. The body still reacts to it as a threat, which creates a cascade of negative reactions. Over time, your health will suffer.

I really feel terrible for the OP. Such an awful situation for them. I hope they are able to find a solution. It is sad that they will probably have to resort to legal action. I am generally anti-litigious, but the OP is being harmed financially and unfortunately, people who let their dogs bark are extremely inconsiderate and usually don't respond to reason or show concern for other people.

I lived in a townhouse for several years, and the neighbors had two dogs, that literally barked 16 hours a day. The stress from it took a severe toll on my health. The owners were rarely home and just left the dogs outside to bark day and night. I think an appropriate punishment for repeatedly breaking the noise ordinance like that should be to sentence the owners to 30+ days of living and sleeping at the pound, so they can experience what it's like to constantly have to listen to barking dogs.
Thank you. Yes, it wasn't like this when I bought the house in 2006. She wasn't married yet and she had one dog. Incredibly well-behaved. He passed away and she eventually got another. Also well-behaved. Then she got married. Then they got a second dog, a little guy. The two of them were pretty much okay together. Then they adopted this problem dog with a troubled past in 2012 and all hell broke loose.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:23 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419 View Post
I would have to agree. I'm a dog person and we had dogs growing up, but If I pull up to a home for sale and dogs are barking next door....I'm moving on

Old 10-16-2015, 07:26 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,063 times
Oh, almost forgot! They also have a Beware of Dog sign on their backyard fence, facing in the direction of my house. They say it's more for CYA because their problem dog can be skittish and might nip at someone putting his/her hand through the fence, like a kid. But to the house hunter, you see that sign and you probably automatically think pit bull or Doberman. I tell you, these people are working my last nerve.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:45 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Oh, almost forgot! They also have a Beware of Dog sign on their backyard fence, facing in the direction of my house. They say it's more for CYA because their problem dog can be skittish and might nip at someone putting his/her hand through the fence, like a kid. But to the house hunter, you see that sign and you probably automatically think pit bull or Doberman. I tell you, these people are working my last nerve.
What bothers me in this situation is that poor dog. I cannot blame the poor animal for its trouble because it was obviously rescued from a home which failed to socialize or raise it properly. Even if the original owners did their best and are not to blame then anyone handing that dog over to the new owners should have checked on the new environment to see if it would make the dog's situation better or worse. Obviously this was not done and now we have a person who is unable to sell their home, rancor between neighbors and a dog who is still in a situation which does not benefit it. I hope you come to a happy resolution OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate