Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:53 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,086,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Curious as to what a structural upgrade would be.
The upgrade commission would depend on agreements between builder and Realtors. In this case the Realtor would probably only be getting $225. If they negotiated the upgrades and went with you to the upgrade place to help pick out I would agree that they should get some benefit.
My structural upgrades included a basement, taking down a wall on the first floor to create a separate dining room rather than a den, and an expanded second floor, adding another bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Atlanta

Your first mistake was using a realtor for a new build home buy. All you needed was a lawyer on your side.
In some markets, real estate closings are primarily handled by real estate agents. Yes, you can find an attorney but not many handle closings, so it's honestly not their area of expertise. My realtor was great and did an excellent job of handing some issues that did arise in my closing - and they weren't even things that a lawyer necessarily would have handled or done any better of a job since they weren't specifically legal issues. The builder paid the commission and I got the benefit of the services. And since I bought in an extremely popular area, there was no price break if I hadn't used my own realtor, it just would have been some extra profit to the builder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:34 AM

19,388 posts, read 27,660,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Atlanta

Your first mistake was using a realtor for a new build home buy. All you needed was a lawyer on your side.
That's a matter of opinion. I'll respectfully disagree (and I've told that story many times on CD, detailing how our realtor saved us nearly $20K by getting everything the builder's sales agent verbally said in email.)

Additionally, I contacted my longtime family attorney (who happens to be in NC). He put me in touch with the real estate attorney in his practice. He offered to answer any of my questions about the contract, but recommended that I not insist that he review the whole thing. Why? Two reasons:

1. I was capable of reading it myself, and picking out the stuff that I didn't understand.
2. The builder wasn't going to change one word of the contract nor were they going to add any addendums. It was a take it or leave it contract. Period. In his view, I'd be paying him for a situation in which he was powerless to achieve any contractual security to us. He called it, "Wasting your money for no good reason."

Old 10-09-2015, 11:28 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,737,616 times
All builders are different and they're not only different across the country, but they're different within their same markets. Some builders pay on base price, some pay on initial price that included structural upgrades, while others pay on the full price once it's all said and done. When the house is an inventory home, it's usually always on the full price because that's the price marketed.

Why do you care? Your agent is getting paid by the builder, and it's nothing that you, the consumer, should be worried about. Why has your agent brought you into the discussion of her commission? Is she trying to get money out of you? That's wrong.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:46 AM

8,660 posts, read 22,832,313 times
All I can contribute is in the mid Atlantic it is far more common for Realtors to be paid on the base price, only.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:47 AM

8,660 posts, read 22,832,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
All builders are different and they're not only different across the country, but they're different within their same markets. Some builders pay on base price, some pay on initial price that included structural upgrades, while others pay on the full price once it's all said and done. When the house is an inventory home, it's usually always on the full price because that's the price marketed.

Why do you care? Your agent is getting paid by the builder, and it's nothing that you, the consumer, should be worried about. Why has your agent brought you into the discussion of her commission? Is she trying to get money out of you? That's wrong.
I suspect there's been a miscalculation in the agent's rebate to the buyer, which is wildly more popular with each passing day.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:29 PM

524 posts, read 571,397 times
I have no idea what our agent was paid. I know she crossed out some wording that would have put us on the hook if the builder didn't pay the standard commission. She also got the builder to agree to addendums, which would have allowed us out of our contract, and a lower non refundable portion of our deposit.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:32 PM

450 posts, read 546,453 times
every time we have bought new construction the base price let's call it X, is what's reflected in MLS , so presumably that is what was used to calculate their commissions. 3% of X. The upgrades were separate and paid up front in cash by us. That seems to be the norm here.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:17 PM

10,919 posts, read 21,890,647 times
Common here. Why do you care out of curiosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate