Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 08:36 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,910 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what are deal breakers for people planning on buying a property to live in or to rent out, IF you found a neighborhood you want to be in. So aside from general location, what are the deal breakers?

For example,
Living on a busy street, or near train tracks, etc. . .
Fear of rezoning schools
Water damage
Ugly kitchen
Bad mechanicals
Foundation damage

Choose other deal breakers as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 08:37 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
A line painted down the middle of the road.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:00 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Number one: scary neighbors or indications thereof; including trashy yard, lots of cars at home during work/school hours, neglect of yard/house. It's all about the neighbors once the house has passed muster.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:01 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I looked at a lovely house in a nice neighborhood that was empty. I was musing over improvements to make and wandered up to look at the mechanicals room...**** roaches!! Could not get out of there fast enough. I have also seen dead bugs (probably from an exterminator) in a highly desirable golf course nighborhood near me at an open house. Seriously? Can't the listing agent get an exterinator/ vacuum cleaner out there?

Old 10-11-2015, 09:29 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
The biggest things I see with my clients:

1. The smell of the house. If it smells like animals or smoke; that usually scares them away.
2. Location (busy street, road noise) and their perception that the neighborhood itself is declining based on the neighbor's yards.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:19 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Noisy wild neighbors, blaring music, shouting.

Beer cans, other trash and numerous vehicles in the neighbor's yards.

Water whether in a pool or body of water can be attractive probably to as many as it is a negative to others.

In some areas I have seen for decades that contemporary homes kind of scare people off. Not just transitional but actual contemporary, very modern, open, airy.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:27 PM

6,418 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Noisy/busy street
Foundation issues
Noisy neighbors

Old 10-11-2015, 12:58 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
Just curious as to what are deal breakers for people planning on buying a property to live in or to rent out, IF you found a neighborhood you want to be in. So aside from general location, what are the deal breakers?

For example,
Living on a busy street, or near train tracks, etc. . .
Fear of rezoning schools
Water damage
Ugly kitchen
Bad mechanicals
Foundation damage

Choose other deal breakers as well.
Foundation damage is a deal breaker. Electrical and plumbing problems too.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:07 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
For us, lots of grimy dirt and bad odors; black mold problems.

Evidence of severe rodent and insect infestation.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:27 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times
If I gave it some thought, I could probably (sadly) come up with an A-Z list of reasons why I'm presently writing rent checks despite putting significant time into researching home ownership possibilities.

Let's see. A = associations (have been very interested in a number of condos only to find that they preferred not to fund roof reserves and/or had other issues). . . . Z = zones (high-flood-risk properties are unfortunately not uncommon where I live . . . but I like where I live; don't really want to move somewhere else).

Or maybe zoom ties with zone for Z (zooming prices can make the difference between feeling a place would be a great home for the money--how it was for a while--vs. being definitely not worth the money compared to renting, so price--buyer's market vs. seller's market--can be either an incentive or a deal-breaker).

But my most vividly memorable deal-breaker by far is a "the neighbors" story. Kind of a surreal situation from the viewpoint of me who was not then (or ever to be) the owner of the place, but a very real problem for the then owner and whoever had the misfortune to be his successor.

The owner (a real estate agent who bought the home to flip, so this was a vacant property) was inspired by the sight of either the next-door neighbors returning home or their hose (that was attached to an outside spigot on his house)--or both (these sights possibly interacted synergistically)--to run over to them and start yelling about how they have to stop using his water and get their own water turned on.

The yelling went on for a while because they apparently felt they had a valid counterargument that needed to be voiced as well.

Then, without missing a beat, the owner/agent walked back over to me and resumed detailing why this home would be perfect for me!

Actually, I've come across even worse deal-breaker scenarios (some already mentioned above by other posters), but this one will probably always spring to mind first when this topic comes up because it was such an unexpected, off-script move by the agent to choose that moment to have it out with the neighbors (not to mention that at the time--this was many years ago--it was pretty unbelievable to me that anyone's neighbors would ever do this).

Last edited by City__Datarer; 10-11-2015 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Z = zoom(ing prices)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate