Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 04:17 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times

Advertisements

Situation:

My little cousin is purchasing a condo for himself. I am acting as his "adviser" so to speak, since he is new to the area. I gave him advice on neighborhoods, price, and accompanied him to open houses etc. This market is extremely competitive, condos in his price range fly off the market in under ten days with multiple bids.

He decided to make an offer on a condo that he likes. On my advice, he uses a dual agency to beat out the competition. His offer was accepted. An inspection was conducted and found that the shower is possibly leaking into the framing behind the wall. Negotiation on how much credit the seller should give for the repair took place, after many back and forth, the dual agent drafted an addendum with the agreement. My cousin forwarded me the draft and asked for my advice.

The addendum basically says, "Seller and buyer to split the cost of demolition of shower stall and dry rot inspection of the framing behind the shower. Seller pays for everything else related to repair of the shower."

Upon reviewing the agent's draft, I found it to be satisfactory and advised my cousin to sign the addendum and lift the inspection contingency.

My cousin got a contractor to give him a quote of the repair. We forwarded said quote to the agent who then presented to the seller.

Here's where things took an unexpected turn - it turns out the dual agent said he made a typo in the addendum. Instead of "Seller pays for everything else related to repair of the shower." He said he meant to write "Buyer pays for everything else related to repair of the shower."

The addendum has been signed by both seller and buyer (my cousin). And my cousin only moved forward based on the verbage in the addendum. Had we known it was "buyer" who pays for that, we might not have lifted the contingency.

So what to do now? The dual agent just wants to change it back to buyer pays for everything else and move on. But my cousin is feeling like he was feed bad information to move forward. The seller doesn't seem like wants to pay that portion.

Anyone out there encountered similar situation?

If you're the agent, who'd you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 04:25 PM

Btw, the repair is estimated to be $8,000. The dual agent's commission of this sale is estimated to be around $9,000. I am thinking if the dual agent and the seller can folk up $2,000 each then it can effectively split the repair cost with my cousin. Do you think this is a reasonable offer?

Old 08-24-2015, 04:41 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Have the agent pony up the money or sue! Agent screwed up the terms, agent needs to make it right!

Old 08-24-2015, 04:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Good luck with that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Btw, the repair is estimated to be $8,000. The dual agent's commission of this sale is estimated to be around $9,000. I am thinking if the dual agent and the seller can folk up $2,000 each then it can effectively split the repair cost with my cousin. Do you think this is a reasonable offer?
...you realize that pretty much the only reason any agent wants a dual agency situation is to increase their commission. If you think such an agent is just gonna give back that cash...

Are you an attorney? What qualifications do you have to "advise" your cousin?

Old 08-24-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...you realize that pretty much the only reason any agent wants a dual agency situation is to increase their commission. If you think such an agent is just gonna give back that cash...
If the deal falls apart he gets nothing. Even after giving some money back, he still pockets a nice sum, more than if he had not been a dual agent. That's my line of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Are you an attorney? What qualifications do you have to "advise" your cousin?

I advise him on neighborhoods, demographics, and price. My expertise because I'm an investor.

I don't advise him on any legal matters.

Last edited by beb0p; 08-24-2015 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 05:06 PM

404 posts, read 765,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
...the dual agent said he made a typo in the addendum. Instead of "Seller pays for everything else related to repair of the shower." He said he meant to write "Buyer pays for everything else related to repair of the shower."

The addendum has been signed by both seller and buyer (my cousin).
Before anyone responds, it would be helpful to know how the costs break down. You note that buyer/seller agree to split costs for "demolition of shower stall and dry rot inspection of the framing behind the shower". How much of the $8,000 estimate is for that, and how much is for "everything else"?

Seems to me an ethical agent would eat the cost and learn to better proof-read his/her contracts next time.

If seller and buyer agreed to the addendum, it seems the agent has an expensive mistake or an angry seller (or both), but there's no way the buyer should get stuck with it based on your description.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:07 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
So had the seller planned on paying for everything except the demolition, but, after the 'error' was made, changed his mind and decided 'buyer pay' was a better deal? ... or had the seller believed the buyer would pay from the beginning? (or does the seller have other offers 'waiting in the wings').

The agent may/may not have made an error, but, both you and your cousin missed the change, leaving the leverage on the side of the signed contract (versus 'intentions'). One problem with a dual agency is that the agent bias typically most often favors the seller.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:08 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
In this case of be really wants the home, I suggest consulting an attorney to see if that addendum is enforceable.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:12 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

The agent may/may not have made an error, but, both you and your cousin missed the change, leaving the leverage on the side of the signed contract (versus 'intentions'). One problem with a dual agency is that the agent bias typically most often favors the seller.
From what I read and think to understand is that the agent was supposed to put the buyer to pay for everything else. The cousin agreed to typo of the seller paying for everything else and signed it thinking that was the counter offer.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
From what I read and think to understand is that the agent was supposed to put the buyer to pay for everything else. The cousin agreed to typo of the seller paying for everything else and signed it thinking that was the counter offer.
Correct, momtothree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate