Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 07:41 PM
nv1 nv1 started this thread

2 posts, read 2,735 times

Advertisements

We started construction of a new home with a builder in May.

5 months in and 70,000 dollars worth of deposit later, we were sent an email stating that the postal service and developers had made a mistake and our house address was now not in the city we had signed for but a neighboring city.

We knew we were on the border but specifically bought the house because it was within a specific city and zip code and paid what we thought was a high end price for the home for this reason.

Now that our address city has changed, we believe it will affect the price of the home since the average price per square foot for both cities is significantly different.

Are we correct in asking for compensation from the builder?

This is a unique situation which has never happened before with our realtor or broker and so we are not sure what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 07:50 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Sounds like BS, get a lawyer!

Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Price per square foot does not equate to market value.

Does it make a difference to you if the name of the city is different? Do you still want this house?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
Do the cities have different school districts? Do they have different taxes? Provide different services --eg. fire-city, county, volunteer? or police? One have resident only features--library, park, etc.?

If its only the address, I'd forget it, but if its something like your kid can not go to the 'good' school, I's ask them to build the house in the city I signed up for if they have more lots available. Or ask for some free upgrades to make up for the change, builders will throw them in.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:30 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
One city can be very different compared with another...taxes, reputation, resale value. Equally as serious for some is the issue of the right combination of numbers and name of street for luck. No changes from what they contracted for.

Get a lawyer.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:35 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Price per square foot does not equate to market value.

Does it make a difference to you if the name of the city is different? Do you still want this house?
How are you a realtor when you can't understand the implications of buying in different city than what you agreed to

Old 10-22-2015, 02:58 AM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
it can matter a lot .

my son bought a home 200k less then 1/2 block away because while scarsdale ny and eastchester ny are sisters and share the same post office , scarsdale school district is rated the best and taxes and homes go for a lot more . there is 1/2 block difference where my son bought in eastchester vs scarsdale and they saved a bundle . eastchester schools are still top notch .
scarsdale has a reputation of being a very wealthy community .

Old 10-22-2015, 04:27 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Is the house actually within the municipal boundaries of a different city than you thought...or is it simply that the mailing address is different? I suspect it's the latter.

Oftentimes, when you're in a rural area or simply a Township, the mailing address will be a nearby city. That mailing address doesn't change the underlying taxing jurisdiction you are in. Neither does it change the local school district boundaries. Those are the most important factors affecting housing values, beyond the house itself.

There was a similar situation in my area. A new subdivision of million-dollar houses was built in a local Township. It was in a very good school district--and had lower Township taxes--but many of the purchasers were upset to find out that it had a mailing address of a neighboring city which was not quite so affluent. It bruised a few egos but it didn't have much of an impact on their property values. Some even got post office boxes so they could use the address of the "better" city nearby. Many just use the Township name as their address--the mail still gets delivered.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:31 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Is the house actually within the municipal boundaries of a different city than you thought...or is it simply that the mailing address is different? I suspect it's the latter.

Oftentimes, when you're in a rural area or simply a Township, the mailing address will be a nearby city. That mailing address doesn't change the underlying taxing jurisdiction you are in. Neither does it change the local school district boundaries. Those are the most important factors affecting housing values, beyond the house itself.

There was a similar situation in my area. A new subdivision of million-dollar houses was built in a local Township. It was in a very good school district--and had lower Township taxes--but many of the purchasers were upset to find out that it had a mailing address of a neighboring city which was not quite so affluent. It bruised a few egos but it didn't have much of an impact on their property values. Some even got post office boxes so they could use the address of the "better" city nearby. Many just use the Township name as their address--the mail still gets delivered.
Exactly the proper question.

Here in NC, we are accustomed to living in one municipal jurisdiction while having mail delivered from a postal station from a neighboring town.
The possibility is built into some of our real estate forms.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:35 AM

165 posts, read 174,614 times
It's not the builder's purview. At all. I agree with the posters who suggest you get a lawyer to sort it out. I'm leaning toward the responsibility resting with whoever did the title research. Anyway, it's definitely not the builder.

Considering you're THAT close to the town lines you may be able to circumvent the snafu by moving your driveway if any part of your land is within the limits of the town you prefer. Or maybe can purchase right of way from a neighbor. I don't know whether it's state-specific, but here your address is based on where your driveway leaves the road.

Good luck to you! You'll get through this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate