Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 06:10 PM

168 posts, read 135,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The agent deals with the perceived conflict of interest by acting with character and integrity.

I have yet to meet a realtor with character and integrity, and I've bought and sold 7 houses. I've been looking for a house now for years, not months, and just when I think I've heard every lie and misrepresentation there is, I hear a new one. Not to mention, realtors expect us to find our own houses online; they no longer preview houses for their buyers, the buyers are supposed to do that too; they frequently abuse the houses they show (leaving doors unlocked, a huge cow of a realtor using kitchen cabinets to haul herself up from a crouching position as if they were weight-bearing hinges, letting snotty nosed kids run through the place) and are never, ever liable for what they say and do. I even had a seller's agent, who was supposed to at least pretend to have my interests in mind, tell me that it was ILLEGAL for me, the seller, NOT to read the home inspection report.

Of course the fact that the State RE Board saw nothing wrong with that helped him abuse his "clients". Had one in Virginia tell me it was ILLEGAL to buy or sell RE without a realtor. (Who knew FSBO's were illegal in VA?) Another refused to show my offer on a short sale to the lenders. Not one of these liars so much as got a 30-day suspended license, and I had it all in writing.

So please, spare me the "integrity and character".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GocubsGo15 View Post
If I were a real estate buyer I would always use an agent. It costs me nothing. I will not get the property for a cheaper price if I do not have an agent. The seller pays all commission fees. Pretty simple.
When you have the wrong agent, it will cost you PLENTY.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:14 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan20 View Post
I have yet to meet a realtor with character and integrity, and I've bought and sold 7 houses. I've been looking for a house now for years, not months, and just when I think I've heard every lie and misrepresentation there is, I hear a new one. Not to mention, realtors expect us to find our own houses online; they no longer preview houses for their buyers, the buyers are supposed to do that too; they frequently abuse the houses they show (leaving doors unlocked, a huge cow of a realtor using kitchen cabinets to haul herself up from a crouching position as if they were weight-bearing hinges, letting snotty nosed kids run through the place) and are never, ever liable for what they say and do. I even had a seller's agent, who was supposed to at least pretend to have my interests in mind, tell me that it was ILLEGAL for me, the seller, NOT to read the home inspection report.

Of course the fact that the State RE Board saw nothing wrong with that helped him abuse his "clients". Had one in Virginia tell me it was ILLEGAL to buy or sell RE without a realtor. (Who knew FSBO's were illegal in VA?) Another refused to show my offer on a short sale to the lenders. Not one of these liars so much as got a 30-day suspended license, and I had it all in writing.

7 houses x 2? I know a LOT more agents than you do. I could have a great agent to work for you, or me, tonight.
You appear to have deluded yourself due to your incredibly self-destructive personal judgment.

I will spare you nothing. You exclude common sense judgment from your personal interactions, and blame others for the outcome.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:46 PM

171 posts, read 229,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan20 View Post

Your experience, even if taken as 100% factual, doesn't bear out mine. I spent 27+ years in the military before retiring and going into real estate. I don't need the money, I enjoy the challenge of helping people and negotiating/navigating deals. I don't lie and, if anything, I disclose more than I need to. I'd rather not get the sale than sell something the buyers will likely regret later. I am 100% certain that I'm not the only honest Realtor. And to be clear, I would not represent you even if you wanted me to. I think the character flaws are likely in the person you see each morning in the mirror.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:47 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
The agent deals with the perceived conflict of interest by acting with character and integrity.
How do married people deal with temptation from other men or women? They act civilized, with character and integrity.
That there is a perceived temptation does not mean that everyone is weak and yields to it.

If you want to pay a flat fee, negotiate with your prospective agent.
If you want to go unrepresented, that is no big deal. I prefer working with an unrepresented buyer over being in dual agency.
And, it isn't hard to sweeten the pot a little if I take both sides. The negotiable point is, "Who gets the benefit?" Both parties want it. If the benefit goes to my client rather than the customer, and I should be trying to make that happen, what is the point of the buyer insisting on it?
I'm going to highlight this in case it got lost. Great post. I suggest that you research 5 or 10 agents and interview them and pick the one you like. If you have a good agent you'll appreciate them and they can be a great resource. Your 1 transaction isn't enough of a sample size to fairly judge agents.

Morrigan...I've talked to people like him before. Their own mistrust is such a stumbling block they're impossible to help. As such they don't like good agents because they don't tell them what they want to hear or insist that as a buyer/seller they play by the rules. As a result they end up with a ******* agent and then complain about how all agents are terrible and incompetent while assuming none of the responsibility for their own hire. Don't be like Morrigan.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:06 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
No one believes this. No one.
It is a sales shtick. That is all.
I'm confused again, but it is getting late.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:23 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm confused again, but it is getting late.
Good point. Or, points?

Old 10-27-2015, 07:52 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
I have bought with and without an agent. For a buyer, it just doesn't matter, as it all passes by my lawyer first anyways.

I only sold my first house through an agent. All subsequent ones I have advertised myself, however, will pay a commission of 2% to any agent who brings me a buyer. Only once did that result in a sale.

Now, I keep pretty good track of the market, and have no problems selling at or slightly below market to move a house. There is no benefit a realtor brings to me, as I can (in Canada) advertise on the same MLS network that they can. I know how to present a house, and frankly, this is not rocket science. Realtors want to make it so, but really, it is not. The problem is too many people are emotionally invested in their home, and that is where most use a realtor who is not so invested. Me? It is just lumber, drywall, roofing, foundation and plumbing. I've lived in too many to make it more than that.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:08 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
I have been buying and selling homes since 1972. I have been involved in dozens of transactions and often feel more experienced than some of the real estate sales people. However I do still need them on many transactions. I never view them as my "agents." They are sales people who get a commission. No different than car salesmen.....however their products are more complex and their buyers are much more complex.

As a buyer: I need real estate salesmen to:

* unlock doors for me
*get me a copy of the MLS info sheet on a house that's not available to the public
*get a much faster response from listing brokers
*get me in again for a 2nd or 3rd look
*get me history on the property only available thru networking with others (ex: house was listed last year & they withdrew,etc.)
*get me sold prices for comps to help me frame my offers

As a seller: I need resalestate salesmen to:

*Get me sold prices for comps (not public info in TX)
*List my house on MLS
*Get feedback on showings
*personally, not much else since I am a seasoned RE Investor.....

Old 10-27-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
7 houses x 2? I know a LOT more agents than you do. I could have a great agent to work for you, or me, tonight.
You appear to have deluded yourself due to your incredibly self-destructive personal judgment.

I will spare you nothing. You exclude common sense judgment from your personal interactions, and blame others for the outcome.
Typical realtor arrogance: "You can't possibly know what you're talking about!"

7 x 2? Did you miss the part where I said I've been looking for a house now for YEARS? Did you think I didn't come in contact with seller's agents? I even tried a few buyer's agents. You, uh, DID read about the one who showed me 6 EXPIRED LISTINGS and tried to tell me they were COMPS?

I would just love for you to tell me how you manage to blame ME for the actions of the dishonest realtors in the three abuses I cited. Tell me how I lied to myself about FSBOS. Then tell me how I lied to myself about having to read the inspection report or face jail time. I especially want to hear about my refusing to submit my offer to the short sale lenders.

I'm waiting.

You will spare me nothing....because you have nothing to spare.

Last edited by Morrigan20; 10-27-2015 at 09:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate