Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:30 AM

169 posts, read 328,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
It's funny that people who complain about "all the houses look the same" probably love neighborhoods closer in to the city center that were built in the 1940s-50s. Well guess what? When THOSE houses were brand new, they probably looked very cookie cutter, too! And what about row homes? (like in Philly, Chicago, etc.) Those are all alike, have no yards, but have "character" just because they are old? Please.

Most ALL new neighborhoods lack character until the landscaping and trees take off & mature, and the homes go through a couple of remodels/refreshes that changes them enough on the outside to differentiate the neighborhood a little.

And repetitive floorplans are NOTHING new. Think about how many 50s-60s era ranch style houses you've been in. You know the one....the front door opens directly into the long living room that runs across the front of the house with the dining room at the other end. Kitchen is right behind dining room with a small den right behind living room. All bedrooms (usually 3) were off 1 hallway. Master had a small half or full bath attached and the "main" bathroom was off the bedroom hall. How many millions of homes were built with that SAME exact plan??? And most of them looked very similar on the outside, as well. But now those neighborhoods have tall, leafy trees and mature shrubs and slightly larger lots than you see today, and McMansion snobs eat those neighborhoods up. Give today's new neighborhoods 15-20 years, and they will have a lot more character than they do now, too.
IMHO youre right on!! Thats how I feel about newer subdivisions. what is it about wooded lots, front and back that people love. I saw a 30 yr old neighborhood with wooded front lots and large front yards but they looked so unkempt as the trees were not too huge and it doesnt help that the leaves were all over the place and the houses themslelves, looked like they were over their prime ( theyre all brick facade but were starting to fade). it IS a prestigious neighborhood though. and the realtor was telling me to build a NEW custom build on a corner lot that old street. But all the other house were too damn old for my tastes. they might be awesome inside, but anyone pulling up to my new neighborhood would wonder why i would put up a brand new house on that past it prime but prestigiuous neighborood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 09:38 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,755,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

The only time I really think "McMansion" living in TX is when you have a lower quality home with the largest floor plan possible. Think, a 5k sq ft home with absolutely no custom finishes whatsoever, built as cheaply as possibly just to maximize space/budget.
That's not a McMansion, that's called a KB Homes Box. That's what they're known for. Building a box as large as you can afford, and not spending money on the finishes. It's about space. Nothing "mansion" about that.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:39 AM

32,559 posts, read 47,729,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
just wondering what you mean by cheap looking facade? is it the brick, vinyl or some other quality?
In my area, it is that 3-4 finishes are on the front, all of it made out of facing and none of it genuine. Then the sides and back are made out of T-111.

In addition, extra gables and sometimes towers, and a very busy front with changes of direction, make the front of the house look very busy and not well designed. The whole thing, including the tiny lots, just looks out of proportion.

There are house of the same size that are well designed with solid construction and carefully designed and installed interior finishes. Those are not McMansions. It's the glitter over cheap construction that makes a house a McMansion.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:45 AM

679 posts, read 809,672 times
I believe you should live where you want and spend what ever you can afford on your housing. For some, that is shared housing and for others its a 5000 square foot "McMansion" in the suburbs. Furthermore, you should not feel guilty about your choices in housing.

For me, it falls in the middle of shared housing and 5000+ footage of living space. Even though we don't need as much house as we have currently, I totally enjoy the home I built years ago. It will serve us well into the future.

I do love touring the Parade of Homes, twice a year in our market, and seeing the latest finishes and floor plans. I just don't want to spend that much for most of the Parade Homes.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:54 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times
"Is there anybody out there who actually likes mcmansions?"

Yes. The people who buy them, the sellers who sell them, the realtors who help the sellers sell them and buyer buy them, the builders who build them and sell the lots they are on, and the home inspectors who inspect them. It's all about $$$.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:35 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,538,680 times
Quote:
Hello,
I just read a long passionate thread about mcmansions and how awful they are? Im almost embarressed to admit that I actually like them. I find they have all kinds of bells and whistles I want, sq footage, beautiful master baths etc etc that I am looking for in nice neighbourhoods.

So please let me hear from people who bought and like living in them!! and please elucidate WHY...thanks so much!
They are pretty. However, they are not known for being well made.

They represent all that is wrong with America today. People wanting excess in things. Used to be,houses of that size were affordable only for the very wealthy. Now, the quality in building has gone down enough that upper middle class can afford these hulking houses and feel as if they are wealthier than they are. It's illusion, since the houses are not quality.

They are also built on lots too small and in neighborhoods not equipped to handle those monsters. Each McMansion uses power and resources equal to several other houses. It also leaves less land exposed, opening up the area to more problems with drainage. It add to the global warming effect, as well. Ground is important to soaking up heat.

They're just unnecessary. Although I'll grant you that they are pretty.

My problem in looking for a new house is finding one small enough. I don't want a lot of square feet to have to vacuum and dust, pay to air condition and heat, not to mention the added cost when I need a new roof. Often the smaller houses are tacky. I'm still hopeful I can find a cottage-like smaller house that is cute in architecture....and has what is most important: LAND (the only thing that lasts, according to Scarlett O'Hara's father).

Old 10-30-2015, 10:50 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
That's not a McMansion, that's called a KB Homes Box. That's what they're known for. Building a box as large as you can afford, and not spending money on the finishes. It's about space. Nothing "mansion" about that.
I have a KB home with lots of very nice finishes. KB does give you the most square footage for your money and then it's up to you whether you want to pay for upgrades on finishes. It's nice to have that option rather than all the upgrades being baked into the base price. I'm in a somewhat upscale new construction area, and while most of the homes were built with upgraded finishes, some people were clearly stretching to afford this location and went with builder grade but will do upgrades on their own over time.

Not that I would call these McMansions - those do exist in this area as well, but they cost 3 times or more what I paid for my house. Or maybe they are just regular mansions with no Mc in front?

7907 E 24th Avenue, Denver, CO | MLS 4839807 | Listing Information

Old 10-30-2015, 10:58 AM

13,441 posts, read 15,411,159 times
I don't know why people knock the affordable "large boxes". They may not be mansions, but depending on family size space is far more important than finish out. You can always remodel and improve the finish out. You can't easily add on space. If you have a large family, then a 4k+ sq ft "box" is great. If it tracks to good schools and is in a good location, it is definitely a win. I sold my tract home (at a profit) to a family of seven (a Marine officer and his family) and my house fit their needs perfectly. When I purchased it, it was a characterless box, but when I sold it, it was a very attractive home.

As for me, while I live in a home that's 3700 sq ft, it isn't a McMansion. It's 26 years old, custom, and not out of proportion to lot size. There is not one house that is similar in my subdivision. Our particular home is even more rare. I have to admit that finish out is definitely different with custom homes...just all of the little things, even if some of the features are dated.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:06 AM

13,441 posts, read 15,411,159 times
Quote:
IMHO youre right on!! Thats how I feel about newer subdivisions. what is it about wooded lots, front and back that people love. I saw a 30 yr old neighborhood with wooded front lots and large front yards but they looked so unkempt as the trees were not too huge and it doesnt help that the leaves were all over the place and the houses themslelves, looked like they were over their prime ( theyre all brick facade but were starting to fade). it IS a prestigious neighborhood though. and the realtor was telling me to build a NEW custom build on a corner lot that old street. But all the other house were too damn old for my tastes. they might be awesome inside, but anyone pulling up to my new neighborhood would wonder why i would put up a brand new house on that past it prime but prestigiuous neighborood?
What is it about wooded lots that people love? The serenity, the shade, the ambiance....a well kept neighborhood with large, mature trees is very beautiful and will always be. Nothing beats nice majestic oaks towering above. It gives the impression of tranquility.

I live in a similar neighborhood dominated by hundred year old oaks and 30 year old houses only it is very well maintained. People take care of their homes as they age. If the 30 year homes are anything like the homes found in our neighborhood, then they are custom and even being past their prime they are likely to be well built and have good features and good bones. I traded in my new construction home for this older home and every day I'm glad that I did. It's a solid good house and everyone who pulls up into our neighborhood and our house has nothing but nice things to say.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:21 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,079,441 times
Some lovely homes to admire for sure. I would build/design my own, but it is not practical for our lifestyle, in addition, we can't afford one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate