Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 01:31 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Holy crap! I do not have the proper words to describe just how much this disgusts me. A bus full of newly "Stupid rich" Asians buying up U.S. Properties and inflating the market to a point where the average American family has to spend nearly half a million or more on a dump just to get a roof over there head. If you sell to one of these "investors" it is a form of treason!

Right. Because apparently one single group of foreign buyers can drive the entire market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 01:18 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardinbelle View Post
Been looking for a place in West LA or Pico Robertson area or close by. Priced out of single family homes so started to look at condos. Saw two not extravagant, around 1500 and 1200 sq feet. Considered placing an offer on the smaller but came to find out one was $900,000, the other one $700,000 and both were going for over asking and multiple ALL CASH offers!

And for those unfamiliar with the inventory, much of LA is very old, build in the 1920s and 30s and I doubt will withstand the next earthquake. Much of it is very, very poorly maintained, shockingly so.

I'm so old that I remember when you always offered less, not more, for a property and real estate was a leveraged investment.

So the new norm is all cash? How does anyone come up with close to a million CASH?? And thanks to Air B N B rents are outrageous!! Can someone please explain what the heck is going on???

I am seriously perplexed!!!
As politely as I can say it, your entire post demonstrates that you know absolutely nothing about the LA real estate market. You're looking for a deal in West LA and Beverlywood ???? Not gonna happen. You need to find a good realtor, explain your financial constraints and let him/her find you a nice place in an area that you can afford. There ARE areas that have not yet been driven up to the moon, you just need some help to find them. And BTW, Air BNB has nothing to do with the rental rates. As markets rise and people can't afford to buy, they rent out of necessity. There are also still a lot of people who lost their homes and were forced to rent. More renters = more demand = higher prices.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:44 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Been looking for a place in West LA or Pico Robertson area or close by. Priced out of single family homes so started to look at condos. Saw two not extravagant, around 1500 and 1200 sq feet. Considered placing an offer on the smaller but came to find out one was $900,000, the other one $700,000 and both were going for over asking and multiple ALL CASH offers!

And for those unfamiliar with the inventory, much of LA is very old, build in the 1920s and 30s and I doubt will withstand the next earthquake. Much of it is very, very poorly maintained, shockingly so.

I'm so old that I remember when you always offered less, not more, for a property and real estate was a leveraged investment.

So the new norm is all cash? How does anyone come up with close to a million CASH?? And thanks to Air B N B rents are outrageous!! Can someone please explain what the heck is going on???

I am seriously perplexed!!!
You mean L.A.? Or do you mean LA (Louisiana)?

Old 11-01-2015, 10:31 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Been looking for a place in West LA or Pico Robertson area or close by. Priced out of single family homes so started to look at condos.
Smarter to live farther out, and take Uber or Lyft to visit WLA. The money you save on mortgage would pay for decades of rides

Old 11-02-2015, 07:43 PM

33 posts, read 60,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
As politely as I can say it, your entire post demonstrates that you know absolutely nothing about the LA real estate market. You're looking for a deal in West LA and Beverlywood ???? Not gonna happen. You need to find a good realtor, explain your financial constraints and let him/her find you a nice place in an area that you can afford. There ARE areas that have not yet been driven up to the moon, you just need some help to find them. And BTW, Air BNB has nothing to do with the rental rates. As markets rise and people can't afford to buy, they rent out of necessity. There are also still a lot of people who lost their homes and were forced to rent. More renters = more demand = higher prices.

I wouldn't call being willing to pay asking price for a property with over 20% down 'looking for a deal."

I beg to differ about Airbnb

http://www.laane.org/wp-content/uplo...rBnB-Final.pdf

Old 11-02-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call being willing to pay asking price for a property with over 20% down 'looking for a deal."

That depends - some of the asking prices are just "starting bids".

Quote:
The effects of Airbnb is not entirely known. At best, it's a speculation that they drive up rental prices. Imo, they are merely a symptom, not the cause, of expensive real estate.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:36 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,206 times
We're in a bubble, just the start of it.
The last 2 months sales volumes are down, lots of price reductions, houses on the market for much longer. I've seen a few selling for over $100k below asking price this last month.
No one left can afford them, and these people listing their crap-shacks for $700k plus need to get a grip.
Hold off and wait another 6 months to a year and the market will look a lot different.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:37 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You do know that these shows are mostly fictional right?
No - they are real. Remember back in the first couple of seasons, Chad, the kid with the silly Black hair and sexy girlfriend.

He would always "chop" all the pillows.

Well, he had a listing a few doors from my house at the beach a few years back. Just for fun I went to the open house and went through ALL the rooms and straightened out and fluffed ALL the pillows!

I always wondered if he needed therapy after that.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:20 AM

89 posts, read 112,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You do know that these shows are mostly fictional right?
not to mention 90 % of California home owners don't get insurance for earthquakes because earthquake coverage is crazy expensive, has ridiculous deductibles and in general not worth it.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
No - they are real. Remember back in the first couple of seasons, Chad, the kid with the silly Black hair and sexy girlfriend.

He would always "chop" all the pillows.

Well, he had a listing a few doors from my house at the beach a few years back. Just for fun I went to the open house and went through ALL the rooms and straightened out and fluffed ALL the pillows!

I always wondered if he needed therapy after that.

I was on one of these shows. They are mostly fake. Just because you confirm one thing from one episode doesn't prove anything.

“Million Dollar Listing SF”: Fun Foray Into Unreality TV | www.Insidesfre.com

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...usly_wrong.php

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate