Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 11:20 AM

450 posts, read 550,156 times

Advertisements

I hope some professionals can chime in on what to do/not to do.

Earlier this year we sold our old house quickly at over list price in a hot market to buyers. House passed inspection no major problems found and no repairs requested by the buyers. No drama. Closed on time.

We now live in a nearby neighborhood and are still friends with our old neighbors, who have befriended our buyers (their new neighbors, essentially) so we have run into the buyers on several social occasions. I would guess that is going to continue due to kids' birthday parties, BBQs, etc.

So far I have avoided speaking to them at these functions because of reading here about how any contact might mean they'll decide to come after us for various issues or even sue us? I know they're the buyers, I'm not sure they are aware we're the sellers...yet. We didn't hide anything about the house, it was sold vacant and thoroughly cleaned. However, they paid over list price and after we closed, several other identical homes in the development came on the market...and sat there with multiple price reductions. Finally they too sold but all at less than what our buyers had paid. So I worry they might have buyers remorse and be motivated to complain etc.

Anyone have a similar experience? Advice appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 11:57 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
We did. We sold our house and moved nearby. We went back for block parties and birthday parties since we were all very close. We have no problems talking to the buyers. They are great people, and it isn't awkward at all.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:05 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
You seem to be concerned about the buyers purchasing at a high price. If they would be upset with anyone other than themselves it should be their realtor if he/she didn't advice them on the comps. Or perhaps the realtor did and they just didn't want to miss out on a great house for not too much more.

Last edited by cully; 11-01-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-01-2015, 12:30 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
What do you think they could really say to you? "We spent too much on the house"? I doubt anyone would say that, whether it was at a barbecue or via a return-receipt letter. I mean, they're surely not going to ask for a refund of part of the purchase price!

I think you're worried about something that is almost definitely not going to happen. Enjoy yourself at the parties and don't worry about it!

Old 11-01-2015, 12:36 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
No matter what, whatever they do the property, tell them you love it. They cut down your favorite tree--you love it! They painted it purple--you love it! And don't tell your old neighbors anything different. Just friendly advice.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:45 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
No matter what, whatever they do the property, tell them you love it. They cut down your favorite tree--you love it! They painted it purple--you love it! And don't tell your old neighbors anything different. Just friendly advice.
I don't think you have to say you love it but l4h's advice is good. Nothing to be gained by questioning their choices. I wouldn't worry about it. If you didn't misrepresent anything, you have absolutey nothing to worry about.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:53 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
I just met the seller of our house last night. She came up and introduced herself as the kids were running around Trick or Treating. I told her we loved the house. I even invited her in, but completely forgot we painted over the hand painted murals on the walls (in every room). Turns out she declined then said her mother-in-law did all the painting and that she painted every house they lived in and every buyer after painted over them. She wasn't upset in the least, but said her young daughter would be upset as she doesn't like change. I remembered meeting the daughter last Halloween and after she told me she lived in the house, she peeked in the door and said, "it looks different", to which I just said, "yes we have different furniture".

I didn't realize how much it was going to cost to repaint the whole house and we never used that in negotiations, but I would never say, "we should have gotten a better price for all the painting we did". I think the OP is worrying unnecessarily.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:09 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
If they wanted to sue you they could easily find you.......hiding your identity at a social function will not protect you from a suit. If your house passed inspection and nothing was hidden like you say then relax!

Old 11-01-2015, 01:36 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
If you hid nothing then you have nothing to hide and no reason to worry. Enjoy your parties; and your potential new friends.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:06 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
If the neighborhood knows you were the owner, the new owners probably know already. It's potentially a little awkward, but the sooner you talk with them, the better. Get it over with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate