Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 03:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
I did call them and they said that we would have to send a pool landscaper to the lot and eyeball it and he would know whether a pool could be situated there....does that sound right? how would i get a pool person in a house i dont own?
No, that would not be good enough for me.

So you called this office?

Planning and Development

A builder will tell you almost anything to sell you a house or lot. A pool contractor who is not under YOUR contract will not take you seriously.

I know a homeowner who bought a home in a gated neighborhood, worth $1M+, after she asked and the developer told her "of course you can add a pool."

When she moved in and hired the pool contractor, he told her that according to local code there was not enough room in the back yard. Come to find out that the developer meant there was room in the side yard which, of course, was NOT satisfactory.

So I would go to the codes office and make SURE they know you are talking about leveling (regrading) a lot, and that you want to know if it is allowed.

Do no rely on anyone else for this info. Do your due diligence before committing your $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 03:36 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Yes, you can have a patio, pool etc on a non-level lot. That's not really the issue.

The issue is lot coverage, setbacks, etc.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:52 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
Will the city office give me information on any house parcel ? I mean one that isn't mine ?
In our town the first step woould be to look at the zoning code and find out what district you are in (R1, R2, etc) that would guide you to the proper setbacks and lot sizes. Once you know what your setbacks are you can figure out where you can put the pool and/or patio. Our town planning administrator will help you with this. They will also help you with any special requirements (variances and or special exceptions). They can not tell you that you will or will not be approved on things like variances or special exceptions that have to go through the Board of Appeals but they can show you the record of recent appeals.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:46 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
You know you can make an offer contingent on the pool guy/city saying you can put in a pool.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:07 PM

169 posts, read 331,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
No, that would not be good enough for me.

So you called this office?

Planning and Development

A builder will tell you almost anything to sell you a house or lot. A pool contractor who is not under YOUR contract will not take you seriously.

I know a homeowner who bought a home in a gated neighborhood, worth $1M+, after she asked and the developer told her "of course you can add a pool."

When she moved in and hired the pool contractor, he told her that according to local code there was not enough room in the back yard. Come to find out that the developer meant there was room in the side yard which, of course, was NOT satisfactory.

So I would go to the codes office and make SURE they know you are talking about leveling (regrading) a lot, and that you want to know if it is allowed.

Do no rely on anyone else for this info. Do your due diligence before committing your $$$.
the office told me they have no idea about grading on my particular property. they have no way to tell grading they can only tell me what set backs i need.

is this something my real estate agent could find out?

Old 11-02-2015, 08:37 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
No agent can answer that question. You have to have a pool expert come out and answer that question.

You want to grade a pool area out of an upslope lot.

Problems:

When you cut away the bank, you are in most areas, going to have to reinforce the bank to keep it from sliding down into your pool filling it with mud and dirt and sometimes into your home itself. This can get very expensive to do in some areas, and not cheap in any area. How will it effect the home above you, and will it make it safe for a house directly behind you. Your cutting away the bank may be considered a danger to that home as well as your own and not be allowed.

How will this change in terrain, effect water flow due to drainage of water from up the slope. It may not be allowed in many situations.

Those are just a couple of reasons, that require you to get the right pools installer and/or engineer to go to the property and check it out and give you a bid, or tell you that they will not even attempt to do it. The city cannot give you an answer, until you have a local expert give you this information for them to use to make a decision.

You cannot make any decision on the ability to do such a thing as you propose, until you have the home inspected by the right person for the job. If you cannot get cooperation to have such an inspection done, then forget even considering buying the home.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:56 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
I know the OP is about an inground pool and absolutely understand why that's the option rather than considering an above-ground pool but there is another option. It's called "On-the-ground" pools and very much suitable to lots/land that has a slope. It's what we have for that very reason. The pool itself is designed to be partially IN-ground and partially above or on. It works extremely well with a deck and the pools come in various shapes, sizes, and even allows for in the edge stairs. We have an emerald shape pool and instead of a low end and deep end, the sides have a shallow edge with the center being the deep. We love it, maintenance is minimal, and we - and many friends - have enjoyed it for almost 3 years.

On Ground Pools - On Ground Swimming Pools by Latham Ind

You can backfill on the low side of the slope and then install a concrete deck all around. We have a wood deck as it was far less expensive to install, gave us more options, and worked into our plan of having everything on one level, no stairs in/out of the house.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I know the OP is about an inground pool and absolutely understand why that's the option rather than considering an above-ground pool but there is another option. It's called "On-the-ground" pools and very much suitable to lots/land that has a slope. It's what we have for that very reason. The pool itself is designed to be partially IN-ground and partially above or on. It works extremely well with a deck and the pools come in various shapes, sizes, and even allows for in the edge stairs. We have an emerald shape pool and instead of a low end and deep end, the sides have a shallow edge with the center being the deep. We love it, maintenance is minimal, and we - and many friends - have enjoyed it for almost 3 years.

On Ground Pools - On Ground Swimming Pools by Latham Ind

You can backfill on the low side of the slope and then install a concrete deck all around. We have a wood deck as it was far less expensive to install, gave us more options, and worked into our plan of having everything on one level, no stairs in/out of the house.
wow thanks for that tip....so how does the cost and durability compare to the cost of a regular in ground pool? is it more expensive to install?

Old 11-03-2015, 01:29 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
WAY cheaper to install. Durability? I can't compare but the reviews we read before buying it over 3 years ago were positive.

Even though I specifically asked for installation of on-ground pool and wood deck from a local company, they gave me a $30K estimate for a pool/concrete deck.

We bought the on-ground pool and had a local builder build the deck and install the pool: Under $18K total. Deck is 1200 sq ft

Last edited by NY Annie; 11-03-2015 at 01:59 PM..

Old 11-03-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
WAY cheaper to install. Durability? I can't compare but the reviews we read before buying it over 3 years ago were positive.

Even though I specifically asked for installation of on-ground pool and wood deck from a local company, they gave me a $30K estimate for a pool/concrete deck.

We bought the on-ground pool and had a local builder build the deck and install the pool: Under $18K total. Deck is 1200 sq ft
wow that sounds like quite a deal....will definitely look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate