Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 12:02 PM

437 posts, read 436,240 times

Advertisements

Gosh...it would be SO nice if there were a sure-fire way to "test drive" a neighborhood. We previously lived (rented) on the same street (12 years) on which we later bought our current house just a block east and *thought* we pretty-much knew all the neighbors and any issues. All I can say is, you never really know until you are living right next to it, what sort of freaky is going on till you're exposed to it day-to-day. And home exteriors can have absolutely nothing to do with it. When we did ask neighbors on this end if there was anything to look out for, they said no, and couldn't wait to have us move in! In hindsight, we realize they couldn't wait to have us move in to dilute the crazies. So not so sure you can trust other neighbor opinions..... :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 05:43 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolochs View Post
Gosh...it would be SO nice if there were a sure-fire way to "test drive" a neighborhood. We previously lived (rented) on the same street (12 years) on which we later bought our current house just a block east and *thought* we pretty-much knew all the neighbors and any issues. All I can say is, you never really know until you are living right next to it, what sort of freaky is going on till you're exposed to it day-to-day. And home exteriors can have absolutely nothing to do with it. When we did ask neighbors on this end if there was anything to look out for, they said no, and couldn't wait to have us move in! In hindsight, we realize they couldn't wait to have us move in to dilute the crazies. So not so sure you can trust other neighbor opinions..... :/

That's the kind of stuff that worries me. I vetted my three houses out pretty well. Or so I thought. I looked at the demographics, practically camped out in the neighbor hood random times of the day, weekends, etc. I talked to neighbors, etc. I looked at the sale history, and I still ended up realizing I made a mistake not long after moving in. And even if you DO find the perfect neighborhood, neighbors change over time.

My first house has new renters behind it, and both houses that flank me were foreclosed and sold, and now one of them is for sale again. My second house, one rental across the street was sold and is now owner occupied, but the house next to me foreclosed and is now a rental. Guy who had loud parties in the summer, two houses down, sold this summer (thank goodness). But you never know who is moving in. And even if you have it good for a while, bam, someone crappy will eventually move in. Maybe the other poster is right, I should find a compromise and get used to hell.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:07 AM

206 posts, read 238,678 times
Take a walk during busy times and see if anything is unacceptable. Look for the salvage yards and hoarders, dog collector, ratty houses, talk to the older folks around the neighborhood for the bad news.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:44 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Hate to say it, but one reason HOA (home owner association) homes are popular is it cuts down on neighbor problems. Lots of rules, lots of restrictions, but at least some benefits. If you don't need a lot of land, that may be the way to go.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:07 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
All properties have cons. I have witnessed many home shoppers eliminate every house they view based on negatives. Its important to do one's homework but also accept that we are sharing the planet with others and this isn't heaven. So, if seriously shopping for a place I recommend identifying the target area and then comparing a few properties that meet the purchase criteria. Some tradeoffs we usually have to balance:

Good schools/longer commute vs. Marginal schools/shorter commute
Great price/busy street vs. Market price/tucked away on quiet street
Great price per sq ft. /weird floor plan/need remodeling vs. Highish price/updated
Wonderful terrific price/concerning crime rate vs. Market price/average crime rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate