Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

Great points Mike. I generally have faith that MOST sellers are not trying to hide any blatant defects, merely showing their place in the best possible light. When staging crosses the line into obscuring things that ought to be dealt with (I'm thinking more along the lines of the warped flooring than the pet-stained carpet, but realistically BOTH should be dealt with ...)

I think it has been hashed over many times, but it bears repeating: homes that look good sell more quickly and bring a better price than those that do not look good. Just like other matters of taste, what constitutes "good looking" is in the eye of the beholder.

In my experience to MOST people an empty house is not as the best possible way to show off a property, but at least (like "neutral colors" and "turn on every light") it is hard to say you've been snookered at a vacant house -- what you see is what you get!

Last edited by chet everett; 01-30-2009 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:55 AM

392 posts, read 1,375,192 times
Interesting thread...I saw mention of keeping a dining table set. Does this really help in anyones opinion? What effect could it possibly have on a potential buyer?

Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Default Like everything else, there are "rules of thumb" and exceptions to 'em...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavs View Post
Interesting thread...I saw mention of keeping a dining table set. Does this really help in anyones opinion? What effect could it possibly have on a potential buyer?

A house that is vacant except for the dining room table is going to look really odd!

On the other hand if you have a nice mid-sized table and four or so chairs to spare it does sort of plant an idea in people's heads -- especially for buyers that might be coming from a place that had no dining room. "This could finally be the 'home' we gather at" sort of a thing. Emotions rules!

Of course if you have some funky ultra-shag carpet and a chandelier that looks like a test satellite for the Sputnik era the whole ability for the buyer to "envision" themselves hosting a "Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving" is a pretty big stretch...

Old 02-01-2009, 01:21 AM

306 posts, read 1,247,994 times
Leaving a dining room set and or a living room set give the potential buyers a place to sit and comtemplate your home. I think leaving behind a few touches and a seat or two is better than nothing.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I prefer looking at empty houses. Maybe it's that I have a good imagination and can picture my furniture layout and get a sense of the room size and how it flows from room to room.

A staged home looks too phoney to me..like the model homes. Gives me the impression the seller is desperate and/or wants to hide something. And..the smell of vanilla is like a red flag.

Sorry..I guess I'm just anti-HGTV.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I prefer looking at empty houses. Maybe it's that I have a good imagination and can picture my furniture layout and get a sense of the room size and how it flows from room to room.

A staged home looks too phoney to me..like the model homes. Gives me the impression the seller is desperate and/or wants to hide something. And..the smell of vanilla is like a red flag.

Sorry..I guess I'm just anti-HGTV.
I'm with you. Give me an empty house any day over a staged home.
Right now that I'm house hunting, the houses that I've enjoyed the most to look at have all been the empty ones.

We sold our home over the summer. Our agent hired a stager to come in and suggest ideas that would help sell our home quicker. Not that our house needed a stager but our realter always works with one when selling. Anyway, of the 20+ suggestions the stager had, I think I only did 2-3 of them which I was going to do anyway. We sold our house in 2 weeks no thanks to the stager. Waste of money IMO but our realtor paid for it.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:34 AM

7 posts, read 24,408 times
so is having difference smells in the house ok? i've read so many comments and am 50/50 over the true answer

Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 AM

Default SMELLS vs 'aroma'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarotta View Post
so is having difference smells in the house ok? i've read so many comments and am 50/50 over the true answer

If you house has the stink of bad plumbing, backed up sump pump, pets, smoking or ethnic cooking it is pretty obviously going to be a HUGE negative!

Ideally the place is CLEAN and FRESH, not in a "the must have used a case of Glade" sort of way, but in a "do you smell something, no, me neither!" sort of way.

If people are living in the home and the bathroom has a tiny whiff of air freshener that is generally preferable to the alternatives...

It is never a good idea to go overboard on the "potpourri" as there are people with allergies or even just an aversion to some scents.

At open houses for other agents a nice batch of brownies or home made cookies is not out of the question. Cheaper than a plate full of store bought treats! I would NOT do this for a 'general' open house. For any scheduled showings I would not recommend trying to do anything like baking / leaving out gingerbread or vanilla scented things, while it may have a positive impact on some buyers, the risk of even one person being turned off is not worth taking.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarotta View Post
At the boards I go to, buyers want to smell air and nothing else.
Using things like vanilla candles make them wonder what smells you're trying to hide.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:05 AM

11 posts, read 22,719 times
Oh no.....I am so sorry. Maybe you can get a professional stager , or a different one, if you used one already. Some stagers are not as good as others and if you are still not getting interest from buyers there maybe something minor that turns buyers off. If you are in Atlanta I could help you. This is a tough market and buyers are very spoiled now and expect Granite countertops and stainless steel appliances even in the lower priced homes.I am sending some good MOJO your way and hope you house sells soon so you can move on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate