Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:24 PM

87 posts, read 137,833 times

Advertisements

I live in Georgia (USA). We are looking at buying a rural property that is listed as 39 acres and it has a house on it that needs work because the guy who was building it ran out of money and it was foreclosed on and now is bank owned. The GIS (tax) record shows it as being 39 acres. We realized last night as I was looking at the adjacent properties that there is NO possible way it is 39 acres. The property next to it which is much larger is only 36.21 acres. That's how we discovered this. I found a measuring tool in the GIS toolbar that I used to measure the property that we want and it measured around 23 acres which is nearly half the acreage it is being marketed as! I also measured the adjacent properties the same way and those numbers matched what the record shows. It's definitely THIS property that is listed wrong. My question is have you seen this happen before and how much could we get the price reduced because of this? And what steps would you take? I'm leaving in a few to go get a copy of the deed to see what it says. Something is definitely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 01:35 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,878 times
Interesting. I suspect that everyone -- seller, bank, agent, etc. -- has probably been going by the tax records and never questioned it. First, ask the seller if he has a survey of the property. The GIS records are notoriously inaccurate in many areas. We had a listing recently that was advertised as 2.1 acres both on the tax records and by the seller, but when the title company and the surveyor got together, they realized that it was only 1.7, due to a discrepancy on a purchase 15 years ago by a neighbor. (This is why you have title insurance, btw).

A copy of the deed may only give you metes and bounds, which you may be able to follow on GIS, but it may be tricky. I suspect you are going to want to get an official survey. THEN you and the seller need to consider how this plays out.

If you have trouble getting a copy of the deed, PM me.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:02 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,679 times
Is it possible the property you are looking at is actually 2 lots? They may have been combined for tax purposes, yet still be 2 separate lots on GIS system.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:05 PM

412 posts, read 451,312 times
Any offer that involves that much land should include a survey contingency. If the survey comes back showing less than what the offer to sell claims, you can of course bail out or demand a reduced price, which you may or may not get.

But I would mention it up front to the seller (or agent if it is listed) and see what happens. There is no point in your pursuing it further and paying for a survey if the seller won't reduce the asking price.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:12 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Is it possible the property you are looking at is actually 2 lots? They may have been combined for tax purposes, yet still be 2 separate lots on GIS system.
We have that out here A LOT. One address can have several tax lots so if you just look at the lot where the house is located you won't see the other tax lots that convey with the deed.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:07 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Poster, would you mind using a larger font? Your posting is tiny and a difficult one to read.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Poster, would you mind using a larger font? Your posting is tiny and a difficult one to read.
Yes sorry about the font I could not figure out how to make it larger. Sorry about that!

Old 11-18-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I really don't think so. I'm a real estate broker myself and have been using GIS for years. But I haven't practiced real estate in years and even when I did, it was commercial. So I'm not very knowledgable but GIS I am very familiar with. I measured all adjacent properties and they matched the acreage on their record. The only one that doesn't match is the one we want to buy.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Interesting. I suspect that everyone -- seller, bank, agent, etc. -- has probably been going by the tax records and never questioned it. First, ask the seller if he has a survey of the property. The GIS records are notoriously inaccurate in many areas. We had a listing recently that was advertised as 2.1 acres both on the tax records and by the seller, but when the title company and the surveyor got together, they realized that it was only 1.7, due to a discrepancy on a purchase 15 years ago by a neighbor. (This is why you have title insurance, btw).

A copy of the deed may only give you metes and bounds, which you may be able to follow on GIS, but it may be tricky. I suspect you are going to want to get an official survey. THEN you and the seller need to consider how this plays out.

If you have trouble getting a copy of the deed, PM me.
Today I went to the courthouse and got a copy of the deed but I didn't have a chance before leaving (they were closing for the day) to check if the metes & bounds were on it and they weren't. I have to go back tomorrow and get the copy of the plat book & page # document that shows the metes & bounds. The deed did state the acreage is 39 acres though which is just not possible unless the parcel next to this one is wrong. My dad is a retired residential realtor and he told me a survey on a parcel this size would be $6k-8k which is way more than I want to spend.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen516 View Post
Today I went to the courthouse and got a copy of the deed but I didn't have a chance before leaving (they were closing for the day) to check if the metes & bounds were on it and they weren't. I have to go back tomorrow and get the copy of the plat book & page # document that shows the metes & bounds. The deed did state the acreage is 39 acres though which is just not possible unless the parcel next to this one is wrong. My dad is a retired residential realtor and he told me a survey on a parcel this size would be $6k-8k which is way more than I want to spend.

Also, I meant to add that today my Dad sent me a link to a website where you can enter in the metes & bounds information and it will calculate the acreage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate