Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:15 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,161,498 times

Advertisements

Curious: What is your living situation now? Do either of you own or do you both rent, or rent together in one place? I only ask because I owned a house when I got engaged, and after I got married, my husband moved in. I had already been in the home eight years and was itching to get out of that neighborhood anyway, so shortly after getting married we started looking for a home to purchase together and then I sold mine.

I do agree with another poster, however, that it may be more of a relationship question than a real estate one. I have a friend who bought a house with a girlfriend (not a fiancée) and then they broke up. It was messy. I would never ever suggest that, because legally it can be a real pain in the you-know-what. You seem reasonably certain that you're getting married in six months. So your situation could be different. It's really a judgment call on your part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 04:22 PM

677 posts, read 869,439 times
If you are absolutely positive nothing will derail the wedding, go ahead and buy the house. My husband and I bought our first house before we were married. The mortgage was in his name, the title was in both. Not a big deal at all. Paperwork is the same.

Now, you didn't ask this, but I will give you another piece of advice. Something I learned through personal experience. Get a prenup. It protects you BOTH.

Congratulations on buying a house and on your upcoming nuptials!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:21 AM

15,707 posts, read 20,234,996 times
I just bought a home with my girlfriend. Wasn't really a huge deal. Normally I would be VERY against the idea of non-married people buying property together, but for us, I wasn't really worried about it. Both mid 30's, both with a kid, both pretty stable, laid-back people and we were living together anyway. Having a good home for our kids to grow up safe in was far more important to us than some silly ceremony that really doesn't mean that much to us. We have confidence in our relationship and that's what mattered the most.

Anyway, before we bought, I owned a condo and she had an apartment. I pretty much moved into her place and only went back to mine for stuff every now and then. Eventually I just figured this to be a big waste of money, so I sold my condo, moved my stuff into a storage unit (much cheaper) and continued living with her. After doing the math on renting vs mortgage's on a 3 BR in the area, we discovered it was the same cost to do both, so we decided to buy.

We applied for the mortgage together, we both had 800 credit scores and good cash reserves, so we easily qualified. Hardest part was finding a house we both liked equally. That took about 3 months!

Couldn't be happier.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 11-24-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 11-24-2015, 08:28 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,077,062 times
Buy the house on your own and don't get married.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:31 PM

34 posts, read 44,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
My advice would be for you to purchase it in your name and add her name to title after marriage. Much easier to spend the $10 for name change/title at recorder of deeds than to have to run two sets of credit reports/evaluations and determine who gets house in the event of something happening before marriage. Smart that you're buying well below what one salary can afford! Good Luck!
I might just do this because she wants to open a no interest card to make some big purchases. I won't take a credit hit and I'll have a better deal (maybe) on the mortgage. After we get married everything will be equal anyway since apparently Texas is a community property state (I had no idea). I just need a simple house to live in that's all. I spend my money on experiences though.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Curious: What is your living situation now? Do either of you own or do you both rent, or rent together in one place? I only ask because I owned a house when I got engaged, and after I got married, my husband moved in. I had already been in the home eight years and was itching to get out of that neighborhood anyway, so shortly after getting married we started looking for a home to purchase together and then I sold mine.

I do agree with another poster, however, that it may be more of a relationship question than a real estate one. I have a friend who bought a house with a girlfriend (not a fiancée) and then they broke up. It was messy. I would never ever suggest that, because legally it can be a real pain in the you-know-what. You seem reasonably certain that you're getting married in six months. So your situation could be different. It's really a judgment call on your part.
We both rent. Yes it is definitely a relationship question. I do wonder what she'd say if I bought it under my name initially.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
If you are absolutely positive nothing will derail the wedding, go ahead and buy the house. My husband and I bought our first house before we were married. The mortgage was in his name, the title was in both. Not a big deal at all. Paperwork is the same.

Now, you didn't ask this, but I will give you another piece of advice. Something I learned through personal experience. Get a prenup. It protects you BOTH.

Congratulations on buying a house and on your upcoming nuptials!
Do you make significantly more than your husband? What were your reasons for a prenup? I don't think I'll get a prenup even though I make north of 2x what she does. The idea of a prenup makes things unromantic but it'd be interesting to see your stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate