Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:43 AM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Cigarettes aren't $13.70/pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 07:26 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
I don't think we're low-income, but we don't make a lot of money. We bought a home in a quiet area with a USDA loan last year. It's smallish (it was 1380 sf when we bought it, but we converted most of the garage into a den, so now it's about 1600 sf) and it did not come with stainless steel appliances or granite counters or other upgrades. Our mortgage is substantially less than it would be to rent this same house.

That said, our dryer died the other day and the fridge is making strange noises (but nothing is thawing or warmer than it should be). If we were renting, I could just call the landlord, but alas, I am hanging clothes out (we live in Florida, so it's still sunny and warm) and my husband, who is quite handy, was researching refrigerator repair this morning. He has a four-day weekend coming up, so we'll attempt to get both appliances fixed then. We recently shelled out $400 to have the septic pumped (on a weekend, sigh) and we just replaced a part of the well for around $100. I think it's these types of things that are more a problem for someone who doesn't have a lot of extra money saved, and not actually purchasing the home, as long as you choose a modest home in an area that you can afford. If you aren't good at fixing things yourself, a few appliance malfunctions can really add up!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:51 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You haven't been to NY, have you?

Quote:
According to The Awl’s annual cigarette price check, for which they call delis in each state and ask how much a pack of cigarettes costs, New York clocks in with the most expensive, at more than $14 a pack.The Price Of Cigarettes: How Much Does A Pack Cost In Each US State? [MAP]

Old 11-24-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
You haven't been to NY, have you?

Not recently. But then again, applying NYC prices to this discussion is a bit disingenuous when the discussion is centered around home ownership in lower cost/lower wage areas don't you think?

Old 11-24-2015, 08:10 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Live below your means, save, save, save, buy less house than you can afford and continue to save, save, save, in the long run you'll be far ahead, delayed gratification.
I agree, they can also live there for 10 years sell and take any equity and use it to buy the better home that they could not afford to start out with.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:12 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
3 packs a day are.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:17 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,520 times
Quote:
Not recently. But then again, applying NYC prices to this discussion is a bit disingenuous when the discussion is centered around home ownership in lower cost/lower wage areas don't you think?
Same difference, it's an example, common sense approach, calculate/adjust the price of cigarettes in your particular region, it's a good portion of money either way.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Same difference, it's an example, common sense approach, calculate/adjust the price of a pack cigarettes in your particular region, it's a good portion of money either way.

As a smoker I'd agree, but when it's put out as gospel fact and the reason why someone can't afford a house, as was done with an example of it being a down payment, then it needs correcting, which I did.

But are you so anti-smoking that you can't see the bit of intellectual dishonesty there?

Old 11-24-2015, 09:28 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
Of course, regular loans that allow low down payments then tack on PMI which drives up mortgage payments making the low down payment cost a whole lot of moeny.

OP, glad you asked this. I'm always curious how people do it. I have $36k/year coming in. Was dying to get into my own home this year, and was only looking at houses $80k or less and it's literally impossible unless I have a massive 20% down payment. Though of course you really need much more than that in the bank in order to cover all those pesky maintenance issues that will come up in the first few months. Home ownership is just really out of reach for the average person.
I keep hearing about those suprise maintenance costs. I am four months in an nothing has broken. And if it does then hopefully the home warrenty that the POs threw in will cover it.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:55 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
I was able to afford a $190k home on 43k per year right out of college. Granted I had virtually no debt and was unmarried with no children... but still... You certainly don't need an amazing job to afford a home in lower cost of living areas of the country.

The problem is people think that they have some right to not only own a home but provide for a family of 4 and take two vacations a year, drive a new car every 5 years, and get a new iPad and smartphone every year on a working class wage. And that's just not feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate