Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:54 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's actually a very practical thing do do. Not only will the house be exactly to your frend's taste, if he's smart he can design it for aging in place. Most standard hoses give little thought to the needs of older or disabled people, and small things that are easy to add in the planning stage (such as extra-wide hallways and doorways for easy wheelchair access, a large walk-in shower, at least one entrance to the house that does not have stairs or a stoop, etc.) can be difficult or even impossible to retrofit later.
Why not, I agree with this ^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 11:56 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
If builders would just do those things on the first floor of EVERY house they built (especially the smooth thresholds and wide halls and doorways, which are hard to change after the fact), "aging in place" would be more feasible even in a two-story structure. And I would think those features, properly explained, would appeal to younger buyers as well, since you don't have to be old to end up in a wheelchair (either temporarily or permanently).
But then they might stay longer and not buy another house . . . :-)

Old 12-07-2015, 01:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I know someone who was about 62 when he built his second "dream house". His first dream house was perfect for a family with three children, but those children were all grown up. The house had the master bedroom suite upstairs, and other problems, and he now had rheumatoid arthritis. He had his new house built completely handicapped & wheelchair assessable. Every entrance was wheelchair assessable with not even one step. It does not have a basement (unusual in Wisconsin) but has a lot of built in storage that is easily used by someone with a cane, walker or wheelchair.

He was able to add many things that were important to him & his family at this point in his life. His dining room table normally seats 12 & with all of the leaves, I believe that it seats 18 to 20 people. He had always wanted to have a space where all of his children and grandchildren & other relatives could comfortably sit during holiday meals and he succeeded.

Since he had the money it was totally mortgage free.

Frankly, I'm pretty jealous.
Quote:
You should be. Your friend's house sounds fantastic! (And very, very practical as well, which is even more important.)

And, since he has more money now than when he was younger & raising three elementary age children, everything is completely top of the line. Granite (or maybe marble) countertops, custom made drapes, whirlpool tub, huge walk-in (LOL, future roll-in) pantry, enormous laundry room, plus three bedrooms & a computer room, etc. etc. He even dredged a pond so that he can watch the wild ducks from his living room floor to ceiling windows & the deck off the dining room.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:14 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
If 50 is "late in life" then I am screwed.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:26 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I'm amazed that anyone would even ask this sort of question. They're having a builder build it, although I don't see any problem with anyone who wants to build their own house at any age. Keeps them busy and they'd get a lot of exercise, whatever the age.

Houses aren't usually built by one person, they're generally a group effort so whether one more person is part of that group, it wouldn't make much of a difference. Also, he hasn't mentioned how he's planning on paying for the construction, but he may have enough to pay cash. And, it's his life as well as his financing so what reason is there for anyone else to be concerned?

Old 12-07-2015, 02:53 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Assuming your question is about taking on a 30 year mortgage really...yes, I know people over 50 who have built a new home, can afford it, and enjoy it very much.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:49 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

I am asking because he told me some of his family were asking why would he want to build a home "this late in life".

Your thoughts.......
I'm thinking they really want to know if there will be any money left in the estate after he's gone.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:35 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I thought it was weird to be honest. If I am able financially,mentally and physically, I say why not. Age has nothing to do with it. Some folks have built several homes after age 50.

Your thoughts.......
My parents did. They moved to another state and built a new home when Pop was 69 and Mom was 60. Enjoyed it immensely for many years.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:37 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Makes me wonder if someone thinks those doddering old fools are spending their inheritance...

That's extremely rude. Some people are very, very financially savvy and have the sense to know how to save money. My parents sure did.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:41 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
I know a 65 year old having one built now . Not a downsize. Bigger than anything she ever owned before. Cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate