Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 06:35 PM

18,461 posts, read 31,613,667 times

Advertisements

why is it we never had / heard of staging before HGTV.?

Our homes still sold. How hard is it really to imagine a living room? TV, couch, end tables, the usual furniture.....seriously, how difficult is it to imagine what you have as to where it will go.

I saw my apartment, I know what I had, I knew exactly where it was going to go, and this was seeing the apartment with the previous tenants stuff all there.....................and I didnt even have it arranged like hers, I was able to figure it out myself.

imagine that?

so as far as staging, I find it a crock of crap, it's just anothe expense to moving....I wouldnt do it,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 10:58 PM

908 posts, read 960,498 times
although i must say when a place has furniture in it, it looks MUCH bigger. once the furniture is removed it seems much smaller. kinda counter intuitive.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:35 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
it's a condo. there is no lease. they've been there 2 years and it's basically month to month. they are friends of ours so i know they would keep it in very good condition.
Since your friends will keep it in good shape and move out before closing, I'm not sure there is any need to even bring up the rental business as it will have no bearing on the sale.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:41 AM

Our last real estate agent believed in staging to the point that she picked up the tab for consultations with a professional stager. She believed it made for more enticing photos on the MLS listing and a more engaging experience for buyers when they were touring our home.

Good staging makes a home look more spacious and more upscale. Buyers believe they are getting a bargain.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:00 AM

59 posts, read 85,677 times
Check out virtual staging. It can save you a lot of money! The most important factor
when selling is price.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:30 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,914,644 times
Quote:
it's a condo. there is no lease. they've been there 2 years and it's basically month to month. they are friends of ours so i know they would keep it in very good condition. one state we looked for houses didn't seem like staging was used often. in another state, staging was always used. so wonder if it's also by location?
I have had RE agents stage my homes in OH, PA and SoCal.

For my part, I could care less, I can see past a home owner's decorating, or lack of, but many people aren't able to visualize anything for themselves.

Staging is the better idea, IMHO.

I would not prefer an empty house, unless it was just built. I'm a person that can see things happening if the house sits empty too long, or I wonder what the real story is behind the house being empty.

I sure wouldn't toss the renters too early, as long as you know they won't bad mouth you or trash the place.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:13 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,455 times
Quote:
it's a condo. there is no lease. they've been there 2 years and it's basically month to month. they are friends of ours so i know they would keep it in very good condition. one state we looked for houses didn't seem like staging was used often. in another state, staging was always used. so wonder if it's also by location?
You will probably find the depth of your friendship by the end of this process. Friends will understand. Ask them to move out before you list.

Clean and paint. Get carpets cleaned or replaced. Nothing against your tenants, but it is much easier to empty out your condo to get all of these pre-list items completed in a few days.

Staging vs. Empty? Doesn't matter to a buyer who wants to live in your condo, but if there are multiple units for sale, you and your agent need to agree on the tactics to set you apart from the competition. Find the edge and exploit it. I think price is the best edge if all else is equal or very close.

Price it correctly and list it spotless, odor-free, and move in ready.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:18 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,797,237 times
Quote:

If there's no lease, then there's no issue with tenants. If a buyer wants tenants, they will be happy and if not the tenants can be asked to leave with in the escrow period. You just need to be sure your agent knows the tenants have no lease so potential buyers don't discount your property assuming they will have to continue a lease for some period of time. If the tenants keep the home clean and show ready, I see no reason to ask them to leave at this point.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:19 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,906,400 times
I think we didn't hear about staging in the old days because there weren't all of the digital pictures so easily available. Good pictures get people in the door to look at your home. I have a friend in the Atlanta area who had a house on the market that didn't sell. She reduced the price twice. Nothing. She switched agents. The new agent staged the home and raised the price. It sold at the higher price. Her house looked much better on the internet after it had been staged. I don't think you need to hire someone to stage, though. Mimic what looks good in photos.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GocubsGo15 View Post
Check out virtual staging. It can save you a lot of money! The most important factor
when selling is price.
When I see an empty house, my first thought is, "somebody's floating two mortgages."

I looked at the various virtual staging sites several months ago. Some were quite amateur looking and clearly fake. Others looked darn real to me.

I think the big advantages with staging is that it makes the house looks like the folks here live a more upscale existence than those who live in other homes of a similar price.

While square footage, comps, and appraisals are going to limit the variation in price, staging increases the appeal to buyers, helps them imagine living there, living that kind of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate