Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2015, 02:01 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
The reply of yours I am quoting above is a 3rd reply to basically the same set of questions I asked you in this thread. Each time you mentioned providing services to people but you really did not try and answer the questions, did you?
Be careful he will probably start calling you names on here as well lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 02:20 PM

43,294 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
The reply of yours I am quoting above is a 3rd reply to basically the same set of questions I asked you in this thread. Each time you mentioned providing services to people but you really did not try and answer the questions, did you?
I am not pitching my services to you. I nearly never say someone needs an agent.
But, I have been down this road before with anonymous people on this forum.
It matters not what an agent says, but what the poster replies, "I can do that. I don't need you."
Don't want an agent, or cannot see value in the agents you interview? Don't hire an agent. I am 100% copasetic with that approach.

Much of what an agent does is to play third base, and handle what is hit down the line. Often we don't see it coming, but have to deal with it anyway and help our clients meet their goals.

I work in a fairly affluent area, with a well-educated clientele. Yet, no one size of service fits all. I bring a deep bag of tools, and some may be used. Some may not. Some of the odd ones can save a deal, or save a ton of time.
Honestly, it is hard to give specific examples without seeming to tell stories out of school that clients may recognize. I wouldn't like that, and as a client, you shouldn't either.

You may need a dose of reality, as your $XXXX palace is truly only worth $XXX. Providing that reality is a service.
You may not understand what your attorney or lender is telling you. Helping understand or rephrase is a service.
You may have emotions you cannot control without help. Keeping you focused on a goal is a service.
You may reduce all details to data and numbers and miss the psychological and human side of negotiation. Helping you out of that limited view is a service.
You may not be able to read a survey or a map. I can't survey, but when I see a 100 year flood mark or an easement, or a cemetery, I can show you and sometimes can save you time, heartache, or money, or all three.
You may want to trip over a nickel. I may be able to help you focus on the dollar.
The intangibles go on and on, and some can be predicted. Some cannot be predicted. Sensible, smart people sometimes need helped to be guided back on the rails.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:49 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
I'd say 2 out of 3 of the real estate agents we've dealt with have been loopy. They show us homes that are nowhere near what we are looking for, are not particularly adept at negotiations, constantly seem surprised by one thing or another.

When we are buying they discourage us from making the offers we think are fair for fear of "offending" the sellers. When we are selling they encourage us to accept low ball offers.

They post odd unattractive photos on the MLS listing, don't return phone calls, and often act in an unprofessional manner.

Many work only part-time. Some regard real estate as more of a social outlet than a business venture.

One agent overpriced and then insisted we "wait for the right buyer" who, sadly, never came along. After we were transferred and living a half a world away, she said she finally got an offer. It was a low one, but we accepted. Turned out she was the buyer. Hmmm.

It's crazy.

You're hoping the real estate agent will be your dependable guide and more than half the time they are just flat incompetent.

But when you find a good one, it's worth the search.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:09 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
I would hope that folks would end their professional relationship with unacceptable service providers sooner. As much as some folks seem capable of touting a line "all they do is put it in MLS" then I'd think they could also remember "if you don't like your agent, fire them. and if they give you any **** about breaking an agreement, go see their broker-in-charge."

Old 12-19-2015, 04:02 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You may need a dose of reality, as your $XXXX palace is truly only worth $XXX. Providing that reality is a service.
Fair enough. The answers you provided are actually all not bad. I am not out to get anyone but I do wonder about your purpose. I was actually in that situation recently as a seller - my place was valued by different real estate agents much less than what it sold for. We insisted on the price and it paid. That's because we took responsibility for the price. Which, everyone really does. Kind of leads me to my point - all you can do is advise but let's say I went with the advice of any of the REs that showed up with their comps and lost $80K on the house (yes, that's right two of them told us to list it at a price that was $80K lower than what it sold). At the end of the day they pointed out that our $XXXX palace was only worth $XXX. It definitely would have sold for $XXX and we would have been $80K short, the agent still got paid but we are the ones who truly lost ($80K is much more than 6% of $80K). I could not go back and take the agent to court 'cause all he said was "this is what I think but it's up to you, I'll list it at any price".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
You may not understand what your attorney or lender is telling you. Helping understand or rephrase is a service.
Do you advise your clients which loan to take out 3 loans offered with different percentages and conditions?

Quote:
You may reduce all details to data and numbers and miss the psychological and human side of negotiation. Helping you out of that limited view is a service.
Fair enough. Again, from my experience: when we were selling one of our homes, we got a low ball offer as offer #1. Our agent advised us to take it. We decided not to. Two weeks later we received a much higher offer and took it. As an RE agent you don't really care if your client loses $10K or $20K. On $10K, 6% is $600 and it is often 3% so it is $300 at best that you lost. On the other hand, the client lost a serious amount of cash. As a seller (or a buyer) people take real risks with real repercussions. As an RE agent, the field is "fixed" for you to limit your risks and maximize your rewards with minimal legal exposure, yet get paid disproportionately to the exposure or responsibility.

Quote:
You may not be able to read a survey or a map. I can't survey, but when I see a 100 year flood mark or an easement, or a cemetery, I can show you and sometimes can save you time, heartache, or money, or all three.
You can also see the survey, see the flood zone map and pretend you don't care just to close the deal. At the end of the day, it is the client's responsibility to read the survey and ask questions.

Quote:
You may want to trip over a nickel. I may be able to help you focus on the dollar.
See my example above about the $10K.

Quote:
The intangibles go on and on, and some can be predicted. Some cannot be predicted. Sensible, smart people sometimes need helped to be guided back on the rails.
I do not disagree. I think you answered a question about what a good RE agent can do for you (even though you mostly described buyer side issues, I would say). However, the seller is the one who pays you at the end.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:53 PM

79 posts, read 85,368 times
The truth is most lowballs don't work. Sellers have to get to the price themselves. Unless I am within a few percent of a sellers price, I won't bother offering. That's what agents should say when people want to put low offers in, show the data that shows they don't work (if that is true in your area)

I don't understand how anyone trusts an agent to find the right homes to show. That's what the internet is for.

Some sellers do need listing agents to sell their house because they will never price it right. Of course then they also have a scapegoat when they don't get the price they want. Scapegoats are priceless to make yourself feel better.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:59 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
[quote=Seller7;42340642]T
I don't understand how anyone trusts an agent to find the right homes to show. That's what the internet is for.

/QUOTE]

Who knew?

All along, I've been thinking that agents help uncover and show buyers the houses that will work, help guide them through the negotiation and contract, then make sure the closing details are all in place.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:16 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
I do not disagree. I think you answered a question about what a good RE agent can do for you (even though you mostly described buyer side issues, I would say). However, the seller is the one who pays you at the end.
This is a myth. The agent is paid out of the proceeds of the sale, however you the buyer are most definitely paying the bill. After all, where is the money really coming from? The buyer! The price level of real estate in a particular area includes the prevailing commission structure. So as a buyer, you are not getting anything for free, and should demand the appropriate level of service that you are, in fact, paying for.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:22 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This is a myth. The agent is paid out of the proceeds of the sale, however you the buyer are most definitely paying the bill. After all, where is the money really coming from? The buyer! The price level of real estate in a particular area includes the prevailing commission structure. So as a buyer, you are not getting anything for free, and should demand the appropriate level of service that you are, in fact, paying for.
I am looking at who is going to cut the check. Most home prices get artificially inflated to account for the RE agent commissions. And it ain't small amounts either.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:30 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
It was either you or the brandon that posted their discontent with realtors posting properties on the MLS for flat fees. You were going on about how your going to vote it down and its wrong and on and on. How is that not kicking and screaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Prove your contention.
I couldn't care less what other agents charge, and there are a LOT of Realtors with the same opinion.
And, kicking and screaming does not mean there is no competition. It means that people are kicking and screaming.

Even a bored housewife or a rocket scientist knows the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate