Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 07:18 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I am not pitching my services to you. I nearly never say someone needs an agent.
But, I have been down this road before with anonymous people on this forum.
It matters not what an agent says, but what the poster replies, "I can do that. I don't need you."
Don't want an agent, or cannot see value in the agents you interview? Don't hire an agent. I am 100% copasetic with that approach.

Much of what an agent does is to play third base, and handle what is hit down the line. Often we don't see it coming, but have to deal with it anyway and help our clients meet their goals.

I work in a fairly affluent area, with a well-educated clientele. Yet, no one size of service fits all. I bring a deep bag of tools, and some may be used. Some may not. Some of the odd ones can save a deal, or save a ton of time.
Honestly, it is hard to give specific examples without seeming to tell stories out of school that clients may recognize. I wouldn't like that, and as a client, you shouldn't either.

You may need a dose of reality, as your $XXXX palace is truly only worth $XXX. Providing that reality is a service.
You may not understand what your attorney or lender is telling you. Helping understand or rephrase is a service.
You may have emotions you cannot control without help. Keeping you focused on a goal is a service.
You may reduce all details to data and numbers and miss the psychological and human side of negotiation. Helping you out of that limited view is a service.
You may not be able to read a survey or a map. I can't survey, but when I see a 100 year flood mark or an easement, or a cemetery, I can show you and sometimes can save you time, heartache, or money, or all three.
You may want to trip over a nickel. I may be able to help you focus on the dollar.
The intangibles go on and on, and some can be predicted. Some cannot be predicted. Sensible, smart people sometimes need helped to be guided back on the rails.

Hey not everyone needs or wants a barber but they sure look like they do at the end of the day too!

Your post is spot on.......FSBO sellers tend to price at the highest sale in the neighborhood because it is their house and they assess that it is worth that price nevermind that the highest sale was waterfront, with new kitchens and baths and their 1982 beige formica K+B's are looking more Brady Bunch than Kardashian!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 08:00 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Well thanks to this thread the next time I sell a home it will probably be for sale by owner.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:02 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There are dreadful dentists, rude receptionists, useless senators... The world is full of incompetent morons. Look around.

Why would real estate would be any different?
yet not one agent has said that all agents are wonderful at their job.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:30 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
After trudging through dozens of homes that were not what they were looking for, a friend and her husband bought a FSBO. They had asked the realtor to show it to them, but he ever was able to get it organized.

When they told him, he responded that they owed him the commission anyway as he had shown them all the other homes. He even wrote them a letter to this effect.

She and her husband told him that they would take this to the state real estate board if he would like, but he had done not a single thing towards helping them buy their house and they would not be paying him the commission.

Strange that he thought he could pull this and get away with it.
there's a fundamental misunderstanding of contract law.

if your friend has written records of asking to look at homes their agent wouldn't show them, instead showing them other homes that didn't suit their criteria.

and if they have record of where he didn't attempt to contact the FSBO

or ...

if they never signed an agency agreement with their agent, then ...

of course they have the upper hand in laughing off any claim of compensation being due the agent.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:35 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
My wife is on the lending side so I hear her stories about bad agents all the time.
And she can tell as many, or more, stories about bad lenders, I am sure.

Like the lenders who prequal and then tell the buyer, after paying DD Fee and EMD, "Oh, we can't write this."
Or the lenders who prequal and then just quit taking calls or responding to emails, because they know they cannot possibly get it funded.
Or, the lenders who have no clue what a nonwarrantable condo complex is, but are sure you qualify. "Just let me check on that."
Or the lenders who pressure consumers to buy now, because rates are probably going up (and I need a paycheck and have to hit my minimum for the quarter.)"
Or the lenders who miss YSP so bad. Because they would "forget" to fit borrowers with the best possible loans, because they would make less money.
Or, the lenders who don't respect confidentiality.
Or, the lenders who will say, "Keep it under the table and I don't want to know about it."

Isn't it great that consumers can work with an agent who will refer them to honest lenders instead of the lowest of the low? Yep, it sure is..
Funny how failed real estate agents become MLOs, but failed MLOs don't go into real estate brokerage.....

Old 12-22-2015, 02:10 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
And she can tell as many, or more, stories about bad lenders, I am sure.

Like the lenders who prequal and then tell the buyer, after paying DD Fee and EMD, "Oh, we can't write this."
Or the lenders who prequal and then just quit taking calls or responding to emails, because they know they cannot possibly get it funded.
Or, the lenders who have no clue what a nonwarrantable condo complex is, but are sure you qualify. "Just let me check on that."
Or the lenders who pressure consumers to buy now, because rates are probably going up (and I need a paycheck and have to hit my minimum for the quarter.)"
Or the lenders who miss YSP so bad. Because they would "forget" to fit borrowers with the best possible loans, because they would make less money.
Or, the lenders who don't respect confidentiality.
Or, the lenders who will say, "Keep it under the table and I don't want to know about it."

Isn't it great that consumers can work with an agent who will refer them to honest lenders instead of the lowest of the low? Yep, it sure is..
Funny how failed real estate agents become MLOs, but failed MLOs don't go into real estate brokerage.....
Sorry I thought this thread was about re agents not lenders. Start your own thread to complain about them please lol

Old 12-22-2015, 02:35 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,800,222 times
Quote:
Sorry I thought this thread was about re agents not lenders. Start your own thread to complain about them please lol
Lending is still a part of the real estate process. Most people use the recommendation of their RE to find a loan originator so I think his post still ties in to the theme of the thread.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Lending is still a part of the real estate process. Most people use the recommendation of their RE to find a loan originator so I think his post still ties in to the theme of the thread.
If this thread was about the real estate process I would agree 100% with you but the way I read the title thread was in regards to agents.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:26 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Quote:
If this thread was about the real estate process I would agree 100% with you but the way I read the title thread was in regards to agents.
Oh, no complaint. I am an agent, and as queried by the OP, I serve people who request my services.
One of those services is helping buyers find a lender. And, they do ask me for help there. And, I know where many of the sharks swim.
In a sea swarming with predatory, incompetent and self-serving MLOs, I don't complain because my service experience helps me offer recommendations of capable and honest MLOs to my clients.
That is just another one of the values a competent and service-oriented Realtors brings to the table.

However, I think it is relevant and revealing that your "wisdom" regarding real estate flows from input from arguably the sleaziest side of real estate transactions. So sleazy, the CFPB has shifted liability from attorneys to lenders and delayed closings so buyers have ample time to analyze their transaction CDs, despite great inconvenience.
No complaint at all.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 12-22-2015 at 05:28 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Oh, no complaint. I am an agent, and as queried by the OP, I serve people who request my services.
One of those services is helping buyers find a lender. And, they do ask me for help there. And, I know where many of the sharks swim.
In a sea swarming with predatory, incompetent and self-serving MLOs, I don't complain because my service experience helps me offer recommendations of capable and honest MLOs to my clients.
That is just another one of the values a competent and service-oriented Realtors brings to the table.

However, I think it is relevant and revealing that your "wisdom" regarding real estate flows from input from arguably the sleaziest side of real estate transactions. So sleazy, the CFPB has shifted liability from attorneys to lenders and delayed closings so buyers have ample time to analyze their transaction CDs, despite great inconvenience.
No complaint at all.

"wisdom"? hardly. At least you aren't calling me names this time

I am sure there are sleazy lenders as well as sleazy agents.

The bolded statement is contradictory to your previous post with a long list of complaints. Which is it sir?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate