Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a buyer, do you prefer staged homes?
I prefer vacant and empty houses. I want to see what I am buying. 57 35.85%
I can look at either vacant or empty homes, but I want minimal clutter. 36 22.64%
I prefer some staging to help me visualize the flow. 21 13.21%
I strongly prefer staged homes, with decor items, and furniture in most rooms, to bring out the best features of the house. 9 5.66%
I couldn't care less about vacant or staged. 36 22.64%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:54 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I also think there are some things no amount of staging can fix.

We looked at a house that I loved. Great bones, great lot, great layout, great pool, great shape, great location. But, the whole freaking house was pink.

Not just paint. Bathroom tiles/fixtures, floor, kitchen cabinets, countertops light fixtures....everything. Even things that weren't pink took on a pink hue.

There is no kind of staging that could have obscured this fatal flaw. And only someone who was looking for a bargain AND up for redoing a whole house would have bought it.
Oh, wow, we experienced the same thing with a purple house.

Ordinarily paint and carpet don't phase me. However, this house was too much even for me. It wasn't even one shade of purple, there were dark purple rooms, lavender carpet, etc. The fixtures were purple (I didn't even know that was possible), even the cabinets were purple. The appliances had a purplish hue, but I don't know if they were really purple or just looked that way. Uggghhhh. I had to pass on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 08:16 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Oh, wow, we experienced the same thing with a purple house.

Ordinarily paint and carpet don't phase me. However, this house was too much even for me. It wasn't even one shade of purple, there were dark purple rooms, lavender carpet, etc. The fixtures were purple (I didn't even know that was possible), even the cabinets were purple. The appliances had a purplish hue, but I don't know if they were really purple or just looked that way. Uggghhhh. I had to pass on that one.

I hear you. I spent a while trying to decide if the kitchen cabinets were actually pink. They were some kind of limed oak. I never did decide. It was just way to much work to contemplate for me, especially since a lot of it was new. Renovating a house where everything is old is one thing. Throwing out all new stuff just because its hideous is hard for me, so I usually pass on that. Plus if I wanted that kind of work, invested time and energy, I would just custom build.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:41 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I always skipped listings with photos of homess that were obviously staged. If the seller is going to lie about how they actually live in the home, they will lie about other things that are much more important.
What's wrong with putting your best foot forward? Would you damn a woman for coloring her hair? Would you sneer at a bride who wore a long white wedding gown when her usual attire was jeans and a t-shirt? Would you discount a man who had tooth implants instead of just leaving gaps?

Most homes for sale are "staged", to one degree or another, since homes have a large element of aspiration to them. I may have a ratty sofa that the cat used as a scratching post -- does that mean I don't enjoy seeing a modern, comfy sofa, or may not enjoy seeing the possibilities in a room? Do I really want to see my ratty sofa there? Probably not. :-)

Someone who opts for staging isn't trying to "lie" about the way they live -- because, let's face it, they DON'T want to live there any more, they are moving on. What they are trying to show is how YOU can live in it. Is the mail going to pile up on the kitchen counter? Probably. Will my linen closet ever look that pristine? Probably not. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the art of the possible.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:06 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Its hard to know what furniture will fit, visually, without furniture in the home. Furniture also shows how the home was typically used, especially in a particular arrangement. We purchased a brand new home, and we thought the living room was pretty big. We wanted to see one with furniture in it, but we had no such luck. Once we got furniture in it and realized there needed to be walkways based on how the home was laid out, we realized that the 18x20 living room was really 15x15.
Then you don't need furniture, you need a tape measure. I always carried one when I was looking at properties.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:17 AM

186 posts, read 157,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Just a quick poll on staging.
Sellers are told that staging delivers higher prices and helps buyers visualize a house.
I often wonder how much of a premium buyers are willing to pay for a highly staged house.

If you were looking for a new home, would you prefer staged houses, or vacant, empty houses?
Let's assume that either way, the house is clean and has reasonably acceptable style and appointments and features.
I prefer an empty house! Why? Simple: that way I can see the walls, floors and so on ... I need to know in what condition the house it, I do not care about the furnutire or nice flowers or other crap.

Granted:some people let their wallet be influenced with superficial crap.
So sometimes I can see that people make this kind of fake stuff for potential buyers.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:48 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Just a quick poll on staging.
Sellers are told that staging delivers higher prices and helps buyers visualize a house.
I often wonder how much of a premium buyers are willing to pay for a highly staged house.

If you were looking for a new home, would you prefer staged houses, or vacant, empty houses?
Let's assume that either way, the house is clean and has reasonably acceptable style and appointments and features.
I'm a creative person, so it's no problem for me to look at an empty room and visualize what I'd do with it.

But apparently--and this is a relatively new realization for me--an awfully lot of potential buyers can't visualize a darned thing, not even pictures on the wall, unless they actually see examples before their eyes.

So for us who are good at visualization, staging is unnecessary--and we can visualize around it. But apparently there are those who can't imagine a room as living room unless there is living room furniture already in it.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:23 PM

548 posts, read 816,306 times
Empty!

Every square inch that I can't readily see is a square inch where a problem might be covered up. I won't ever see your beige carpet or sleek rented furniture again, but I *will* have to live with that damaged spot in the hardwood or with outlets in inconvenient locations.

As for getting a sense of scale, I'd rather have good measurements than 'staging' (I always brought a laser distance measurer, tape measure and a good camera when we visited homes). And sometimes would take a photo with my wife and agent positioned in the room for visual scale.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:41 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I think if a person is visual and/or creative they prefer an empty house so they can imagine their life there. A person that is not visual needs to see how the place could look. I think a well staged home sells better in general. It also helps sell a home with an awkward layout. The problem I see with it is that after the closing, the non visual buyers are at a loss on how to furnish or decorate. I see this a lot in the house forum where people have purchased a home, moved in and at a complete loss of what to do. They will share photos from the listing and you can see the home was staged prior.

My sister bought a home that was staged. After she moved in she became increasingly disappointed in the house. Her furniture and belongings were vastly different than the staging. Of course the color scheme of the house went with the staging so after she moved in, she realized she needed to repaint but then was at a loss on where to start. The house also had an awkward layout that she didn't really notice until the house was empty. I am very visual and can picture things in my head, my husband is not. I often have to draw things out for him when I want to renovate. He can't picture it when I describe how something would look.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:22 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I always skipped listings with photos of homess that were obviously staged. If the seller is going to lie about how they actually live in the home, they will lie about other things that are much more important.
It's hardly a "lie!" The OP's question notwithstanding, staging is most often used in vacant houses, here where I live anyway. We don't move out a seller and move in all new furnishings. We do encourage them to clean and declutter but I've shown a ton of houses with clutter! And bought a couple of those myself along the way.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:48 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
It's hardly a "lie!" The OP's question notwithstanding, staging is most often used in vacant houses, here where I live anyway. We don't move out a seller and move in all new furnishings. We do encourage them to clean and declutter but I've shown a ton of houses with clutter! And bought a couple of those myself along the way.
I guess there is a difference in people's minds in what "staging" means. In my mind, it applies to a vacated house being set up to look as though it could be lived in. I don't count "painting and decluttering" a house that is still bearing residents as "staging."

I've never seen a vacated house "staged" as a deliberate attempt to fool a buyer that the house was currently occupied. I don't count it as a deliberate attempt to fool a buyer if a house has been painted and decluttered.

I'm going to get an inspection (or two) and go over it myself in either case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate