Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 08:40 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seller7 View Post
Current buyers at least around me HATE wall to wall carpet
That would be my priority
Although I love REAL hardwood floor$, I detest laminate, linoleum, vinyl tile, and worst of all lumpy saltillo tile or any other old-fashioned tile. All the undesirable-to-me items that would be difficult and expensive for me to have removed in order to put in whatever I want, make me turn to another property.
Saltillo tile looks cool in Santa Fe, New Mexico, but it is hard to walk on as it is so uneven.

If a home is built on a concrete slab, then a thick pad covered with carpet will make the surface much more comfortable to the joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 09:00 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
I live in So Cal. Stucco is the norm. People convert their homes from wood siding to stucco almost daily around here. The roof would cost me about $10k. I want to replace the roof sooner, so I get some benefit. If the roof isn't replaced by the time I sell, I'm not going to replace it as I doubt I'd get the $10k return on it that I invest. I've had 3 different roof inspectors look at my roof (1 being a friend of a friend that owned a roofing company). They all said the roof looked really good for 30 years, none of them really said I needed to replace it asap. I paid the friend of the friend $800 to repair areas, put on new whirlybirds, and clean up flashing around the chimney.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:29 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Around here, unless the roof is actually leaking, everyone waits for that big hail storm so their homeowners insurance pays for replacement.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:41 PM

314 posts, read 237,277 times
For me it would be roof, kitchen, hardwood and then bathrooms. Ive looked at a lot of nice homes and the thing that I would hesitate about putting an offer is the kitchen and floors ( roof condition would come at inspection), for me floors are very important through the house and I would pay more not to have to rip carpet/ tile and install floor myself

Old 12-14-2015, 12:18 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Kitchen, floors, bathrooms. If you've had your roof inspected and minorly repaired, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:05 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I live in So Cal. Stucco is the norm. People convert their homes from wood siding to stucco almost daily around here. The roof would cost me about $10k. I want to replace the roof sooner, so I get some benefit. If the roof isn't replaced by the time I sell, I'm not going to replace it as I doubt I'd get the $10k return on it that I invest. I've had 3 different roof inspectors look at my roof (1 being a friend of a friend that owned a roofing company). They all said the roof looked really good for 30 years, none of them really said I needed to replace it asap. I paid the friend of the friend $800 to repair areas, put on new whirlybirds, and clean up flashing around the chimney.
If the roof is not leaking, what benefit are you getting? Again, we sold a house with a roof that in theory should have already been replace. Four years later the new owners have still not had to replace it.

I think a lot depends on which market you would be selling to. If its first time home buyers, almost all of them will be more wowed by whats inside the house than things like roofs.

As far as stucco, what condition is your wood siding in. Again, first time home buyers will care more about whats inside and figure they can convert wood sidng to stucco later if that's desired in your area.

Do the kitchen as cheaply/neutrally as possible first. Almost no one other than a few mid century modern purists wants a 1950's kitchen. Not to mention that most 1950's kitchens don't live up to the kitchens those purists want.

Keep in mind that women decide most home purchases and for sure they will likely go for the kitchen they like vs the roof/siding.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:08 AM

79 posts, read 85,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Although I love REAL hardwood floor$, I detest laminate, linoleum, vinyl tile, and worst of all lumpy saltillo tile or any other old-fashioned tile. All the undesirable-to-me items that would be difficult and expensive for me to have removed in order to put in whatever I want, make me turn to another property.
Saltillo tile looks cool in Santa Fe, New Mexico, but it is hard to walk on as it is so uneven.

If a home is built on a concrete slab, then a thick pad covered with carpet will make the surface much more comfortable to the joints.
I'm in the Northeast, so tile isn't even a consideration around here other than maybe the kitchen or bathroom.

I've put hardwood down on a slab and it was very nice. And when we sold it the buyers loved it.

I agree with you though, I find wall-to-wall carpet comfortable, especially here because it's cold/cool for much of the year. But buyers hate it.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:27 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
If the roof is not leaking, what benefit are you getting?
The benefit of NOT having to worry. I doubt most people wait until their roof leaks to replace it.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:06 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
We recently purchased a home with a "new" roof. The roofers neglected to replace some decking that needed it and they hacked through the old flashing around the chimney and neglected to replace that. We appreciate the new shingles but really? We could have taken a credit and done a good job ourselves. Just saying.

Roof is my first pick but... do it right or don't do it.

I think kitchens are "iffy" because there are such variations in taste. If your appliances are updated I'd say that's half the battle. Of course, anything you do, shoot for neutrals.

There are different levels of upgrade for bathrooms. I think bathroom is my second choice, possibly tied for first. People want NEW when it comes to bathrooms. Not used.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 AM

31 posts, read 44,051 times
If you are planning to live in your home for the next 5-7 years, I would focus more on interior than exterior.
Having said that, Roof is something you have to fix if you have to. Get a roof inspection done and if they say it has 6-7 years easily, then change it in the same year you plan to sell your house. If it is in end of life stage, get a new roof, that will give you peace of mind.

Home (to enjoy living in): Good kitchen, bathrooms, roof(with no major issues)

House (to sell): all the above + Curb appeal, landscaping, decent driveway, new roof (new roof adds a lot of weight to your listing when you decide to sell it)

If you are upgrading the kitchen now, make sure you have some flexibility in the design to easily refresh it before you sell it in 5-7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate