Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 11:40 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times

Advertisements

Just my guess, based on knowing how the MLS worked when I was a Realtor and how realtor.com works: I think this change is an one effort to make the site more valuable to agents. Many/most MLS systems allow agents to send buyers listings based on specific wants/needs. If realtor.com allows consumers to do so, it lessens the need for an agent to get that specialized access to local MLS listings. I know this information is available in many other places though.

I know the local MLS has resisted changes to it's public site for years because it would give the consumer too much information. The irony of that is that 15 years ago when we considered moving to our current location, the local MLS public site was 100% better than realtor.com at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 12:09 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
I used to use a combination of Zillow and Realtor.com, mostly because Zillow does not show whether a property is under contract or not. I don't want to waste my time on under contract properties.

Now Realtor.com no longer shows the status of the property. Used to show it as active, under contract, or pending. Now it just says, "property for sale". I would have liked to be able to filter out "under contract" listings, but now it doesn't even show this! In addition, the site has become EXTREMELY slow. I'm just so frustrated! I HATE having to work with a realtor to find properties. At this point, I know much more than they do about what I'm looking for, so essentially, involving a buyer's realtor just slows me down, and gives the seller less wiggle room on price.

Redfin doesn't cover my area.

Anyone know if any other site gives property status, the way MLS does?

Old 12-15-2015, 12:09 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Just my guess, based on knowing how the MLS worked when I was a Realtor and how realtor.com works: I think this change is an one effort to make the site more valuable to agents. Many/most MLS systems allow agents to send buyers listings based on specific wants/needs. If realtor.com allows consumers to do so, it lessens the need for an agent to get that specialized access to local MLS listings.

I had a realtor when I used realtor.com. I culled all the listings I wanted to see, did drivebys, and then told my realtor which ones I wanted to go inside. It kept me from wasting my time, and hers.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I've bought homes found on Realtor.com and really found the site useful and the filters were part of that... I think the first home was 2004-05

Also sent a lot of people to the site by saying it was better because it was a Realtor offering and no registration necessary...

I don't like the changes either.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:18 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
The changes are awful!

I realize people don't like changes, but these are changes for the worst........less user friendly.....and you have to go poking through the body copy to find out the listing is Active/Pending/Soliciting Back up offers.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:30 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times
I am not loving the new look either.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
I thought it was just me (who moved my cheese?)!!

The new site has too much other content on it. Takes forever for a page to load - and no, it's not my connection.

Try and search by dollar value and list result low to high, it gives me scrambled results.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:13 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Omg, thank you for starting this thread. I thought I was doing something wrong because realtor.com just doesn't give me the same info as it used to and is more troublesome to use. Why in the world would they make it worse? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:14 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I don't know if anyone else experiences this with the website but I noticed after I click through a few pages, it just repeats and doesn't change. For example, I click on page 4 and it refreshes to page 3 and won't move forward. The whole website seems to freeze so I have to click out and come back in and start all over. I have tried different browsers as well.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:06 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
I noticed that IF you use Adblock Plus or Ghostery ad-blockers, they now block features on the new Realtor.com layout they didn't used to block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate