Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:57 AM

676 posts, read 937,341 times

Advertisements

I have been on here before but things have changed. I am approved for an FHA Loan. Now, I am in another state from where the property is I want. I have seen enough pictures and I have a very good realtor that has been in the business 29 years. Is it possible to put an offer in while I am in another state If I feel it is what it is ? Has it been done is all I really want to know and if it has how did you go about it ? I know exactly where the property is located and we have been vacationing in that area for 10 years but we just now are able to buy with the FHA Loan. I put an offer on a house and it didn't pass, the well was too close to the septic so that fell thorough. The house I found now is the one I want very much. Again, can I put an offer on the house from my state ? Can it be done. I really need you all to help if you can. My husband is not in a position to make any decisions. He says if I love it go with it and he will be happy he has Mild Dementia. Help with info please..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 12:05 PM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
You can put in an offer for an FHA loan if you will be owner occupants. I would recommend you are present for the inspection.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:07 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,141,672 times
Definitely get a thorough inspection.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:12 PM

FHA does a very thorough inspection. The required the AC unit be fenced and hand rails on the front steps. Now the septic and well measurements cannot be fixed so the deal fell through. I know they look for the smallest thing because they want to make sure it is worth what I would be paying. Can I make an offer on the house then with all that said ? Thank you

Old 01-23-2016, 12:35 PM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
FHA does a very thorough inspection. The required the AC unit be fenced and hand rails on the front steps. Now the septic and well measurements cannot be fixed so the deal fell through. I know they look for the smallest thing because they want to make sure it is worth what I would be paying. Can I make an offer on the house then with all that said ? Thank you
No. Fha does not inspect the property. The FHA looks around the property to ensure that the minimum standards are met for the loan. That is NOT an inspection.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:59 PM

Default Inspection

Thank you all I WILL get a private inspection for my own reassurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
No. Fha does not inspect the property. The FHA looks around the property to ensure that the minimum standards are met for the loan. That is NOT an inspection.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:59 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
The fha inspection is not as thorough as a regular inspection you would do. The fha one is more focused on safety...not things like loose tiles, ovens that don't work properly, etc.

Get your own inspection. If your state has option periods and financing contingencies make sure those are in your contract.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:24 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
The answer to your question is, yes, you can certainly make an offer from another state, site unseen.

Like the others, I would recommend against this, or at least get a great independent inspection.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Um, OP ... you want to buy a HOUSE sight-unseen? Really?

(Am I the only one who thinks that's a little, well, nuts?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate