Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 10:02 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,902,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashdotbin View Post
You are very right. Seemed she is relying on the info from listing agent and passing them to us. we will suggest her to get more support from her broker here and beyond. Never knew this could be so tough. Honest, we did do some research as soon as we were told the relo company is involved. None of those online stories tell us more than we learned from this thread.

Thanks to all your advice.
The problem is . . . every situation is different because every employee gets a different relocation package with different benefits. Your agent must be pretty new if they aren't familiar with relocation. Really, it's not that much different (from the buyer's perspective) than dealing with a traditional seller. If your agent can't handle this, it might be time to consider finding another agent.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 07:50 AM

16 posts, read 13,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The problem is . . . every situation is different because every employee gets a different relocation package with different benefits. Your agent must be pretty new if they aren't familiar with relocation. Really, it's not that much different (from the buyer's perspective) than dealing with a traditional seller. If your agent can't handle this, it might be time to consider finding another agent.
Goodness, I bet she is going to explode if we decide to consider another agent.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:43 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,550,635 times
Quote:
Not sure how you mean this. Sarcastic? If you're serious, I hope you realize you are the one who should be upset that the agent hasn't found out what was what from her broker who should know a whole lot better...and researched this as soon as she found out herself.

Her answer shouldn't have been that it was new to her....but, at least, that she was knew AND she was contacting her broker immediately for help.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, you can't switch horses mid-stream so to speak. Once you submit an offer with an agent you are pretty much committed to them for that property at least. Also, if you've signed a representation contract there's that to consider as well. Technically, your contract/relationship is with the broker so you could demand that they assign you another agent but I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with that.

Regardless, your concern shouldn't be that your agent is going to be mad. Your concern should be that you hired someone to help you with a transaction that involves a TON of your money and that person doesn't know her keyster from her elbow. As Cully points out, "I don't know" is only an acceptable answer if it's followed by "but I'll find out." Based on your description of the situation it sounds like your agent is happy to say "I don't know" and then muddle her way blindly through the transaction. This attitude/approach could end up costing you tens of thousands of dollars if not more.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:30 AM

We realize it's our obligation to stay with our agent.

Today there is some update. Obviously the listing agent is playing trick here. After days stating we should wait all the repairs finished, the listing agent "complained" the seller wants to sell the house with higher price.

All these start to make sense now. Our original concern is why taking so long for the relo company sign contract with us.
Well , of course nobody will sign anything with us since the the listing agent is holding our offer to wait for a better deal.

This is disgusting!

Old 12-29-2015, 12:21 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,550,635 times
Quote:
We realize it's our obligation to stay with our agent.

Today there is some update. Obviously the listing agent is playing trick here. After days stating we should wait all the repairs finished, the listing agent "complained" the seller wants to sell the house with higher price.

All these start to make sense now. Our original concern is why taking so long for the relo company sign contract with us.
Well , of course nobody will sign anything with us since the the listing agent is holding our offer to wait for a better deal.

This is disgusting!
Why is your obligation to stay with your agent? Your agent doesn't have a broker in charge that can help or assign you to an experienced agent?

There is apparent confusion about who owns the property for one thing. Your agent should be able to look that up very quickly...as can you probably...from your chair and online.

All states I'm familiar with have a requirement about contract presentations, a law or Code of Ethics. Generally that all offers, or at least all written offers, have to be presented to the owner.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Why is your obligation to stay with your agent? Your agent doesn't have a broker in charge that can help or assign you to an experienced agent?

There is apparent confusion about who owns the property for one thing. Your agent should be able to look that up very quickly...as can you probably...from your chair and online.

All states I'm familiar with have a requirement about contract presentations, a law or Code of Ethics. Generally that all offers, or at least all written offers, have to be presented to the owner.
This is truly an unpleasant day for me and our agent.

First, we did suggest our agent to call her broker. Outcome---according to her, her broker said this is quite normal with relo company. Nothing we can do but give the listing agent a deadline and walk away. This is definitely not the answer we want.

My agent did call the listing agent. Listing agent said they are waiting for seller's feedback.

"Be patient" is the strategy my agent suggested.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post

My experience has been that the relo companies will have all of the paperwork signed for ownership transfer but often do not record any of the paperwork. So, you might not see a change in ownership if you do a deed search.

Quote:
First, we did suggest our agent to call her broker. Outcome---according to her, her broker said this is quite normal with relo company. Nothing we can do but give the listing agent a deadline and walk away. This is definitely not the answer we want.

That's solid advice. Set a deadline and be prepared to start looking for another house. If someone is jerking you around then you can't do business with them. In order for a transaction to happen you have to have one party who's willing to sell and another who's willing to buy. So far, it doesn't sound like you have that here.

Unfortunately, you can't force someone to respond to your offer and you certainly can't force someone to accept it.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:59 AM

we are deciding walking away from the property at this point.
thanks all for your advice.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:00 AM

This is definitely a painful experience to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate