Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:57 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times

Advertisements

Thank you, good things to consider. We are just starting this process, so I hadn't thought that some mgmt. companies might charge by the individual renter instead of by the month. That's a good tip. We would probably do our own maintenance, but definitely would need a reliable cleaning service. Most of the cabins around the area charge a cleaning fee, but I am thinking that it would probably be a good idea to get a credit card # from renters also, like they do at hotels, to charge for damages/theft. I would think that if they know they can be charged, most will think twice about taking stuff. I wouldn't furnish it with expensive items anyway and would have to find a way to secure things like the Wi-Fi router, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 08:53 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
When you sell the halfplex perhaps sell it as a 1031 exchange for the properties you are considering.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:12 AM

I've heard of that, but never knew what was involved. Something for me to check on! Thank you.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:13 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
I rent my place on VRBO myself. If you have a good cleaning crew nearby you can handle it remote. But remember one bad tenant spoils it.

Also having someone manage it has its own pitfalls. One managing company often put tenants into units short term without telling owner and kept money or even used units themselves. Out of state out of mind.

My place I left alone just two weeks one summer and when I came back I immediately noticed my gas grill. It was dirty. I know cause I cleaned it as I had a renter coming in two weeks.

Guess what someone used my deck and parking spots to throw a BBQ. They did not enter house. But annoying. But hey I live near beach, I have a BBQ on a deck of a house with parking just bring burgers and beers. I also found folks parking in my spot. Now I rent it out or swing by every few days as I live neaby

Old 12-28-2015, 11:56 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Thank you, good things to consider. We are just starting this process, so I hadn't thought that some mgmt. companies might charge by the individual renter instead of by the month. That's a good tip. We would probably do our own maintenance, but definitely would need a reliable cleaning service. Most of the cabins around the area charge a cleaning fee, but I am thinking that it would probably be a good idea to get a credit card # from renters also, like they do at hotels, to charge for damages/theft. I would think that if they know they can be charged, most will think twice about taking stuff. I wouldn't furnish it with expensive items anyway and would have to find a way to secure things like the Wi-Fi router, etc.
The router is easily secured by placing it in a metal enclosure with a lock. Just be sure to have a list of directions of the wifi signal and access code.

Getting a CC on file is normal and charges for damages or theft. The way I set up fir my buddy is he calls me and I have a list of items that are located in the house. I let people in and walk them through the property and when they leave I do a walk out inspection and check of damages or missing items. You can find someone local and pay them per occurrence and 10-99 them at the end of the year.

Check your state laws on renting for vacation and furnished. Find a RE lawyer who can write up a agreement that allows you to back charge the CC in case of damage and theft.

Cleaning services are varying in quality and price. Best thing is to ask around who is good and who isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
I rent my place on VRBO myself. If you have a good cleaning crew nearby you can handle it remote. But remember one bad tenant spoils it.

Also having someone manage it has its own pitfalls. One managing company often put tenants into units short term without telling owner and kept money or even used units themselves. Out of state out of mind.

My place I left alone just two weeks one summer and when I came back I immediately noticed my gas grill. It was dirty. I know cause I cleaned it as I had a renter coming in two weeks.

Guess what someone used my deck and parking spots to throw a BBQ. They did not enter house. But annoying. But hey I live near beach, I have a BBQ on a deck of a house with parking just bring burgers and beers. I also found folks parking in my spot. Now I rent it out or swing by every few days as I live neaby

One way to combat these unauthorized entries is you wire the house for remote access. You can install a CCTV exterior camera system with remote access with sensors that will trigger alarms and send a notice to your phone if someone parks in your parking spaces (nothing illegal about exterior cameras). You log n send if someone is there you can call PD for unauthorized access. My buddy has a roving tow service. The only people that can park there are people that have the parking sticker or safe list. Anyone rise us automatically towed no exceptions. And you can install a smart locks by using a smartphone you can send virtual keys to tenants, house guests and plumbers that expire before anyone wears out their welcome. So at X day and time to X day and time they have access but not before or after. And no keys to lose or copy by people either. Sure initially you have a added cost but amortized and deductible as improvements and security.

Lots of these concerns can be easily remedied with a smart home system and setting up a system ahead of time

Old 12-28-2015, 12:04 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
You can get a wifi router for like $20 or less. That will probably be one of the cheaper items in the house. I would leave it out in case it needs troubleshooting and you can have the renter mess with it, unless you want to drive there to do it yourself.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:49 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
I live in an area with many short term rentals. Having a great management company that actually vests the renters is critical. Is it a family, or a football team celebration trip? Are they there for a bachelor's party, or a birthday party? Those types of inquiries can help you avoid the worse renters. Also, if they run a credit check they can also often avoid people that can not pay for damages they may incur.

The worse case I know if is when a rental was for a sports team celebration. They drank heavily and every bottle they drank was punched through the drywall in the living room neck first. So after they left the whole living room had hundreds of bottles stuck in the wall. They ended up redry walling and painting the whole living room. Oh, and the credit card number they gave to pay for the room was a one use number--given over the phone and the rental company did not even see real id or the actual credit card. So they only had the one use number from the phone reservation....and a cell number. The insurance for the home paid for the damage as they never could nail down the renter.

Might sound kind of tacky, but many of the short term rentals in my area have a price list for damaged and missing items. It is part of the contract, so people are not caught by surprise of the towels are left at the beach, or the dishes are broken.

Also, if you have the same cleaners each time, they will know exactly what should and should not be in the house, so they can see when things left and the correct renter can be informed of the loss. If the cleaners are different each time, you may never know who took the clock, etc.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:47 AM

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, just what I was hoping to read. I appreciate hearing how others handle these things.

I am reading the mgmt. company rental agreements online and seeing that they have thought of a lot of my issues already. Not their first rodeo! I like the idea of using smart security products. I am thinking I would do that with some of the appliances too, setting limits on thermostats, alarms, motion detectors at the entrances, and alarms to our phone if they enter our locked personal storage where we would keep our personal items that we leave there for when we visit.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:15 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
You can get a wifi router for like $20 or less. That will probably be one of the cheaper items in the house. I would leave it out in case it needs troubleshooting and you can have the renter mess with it, unless you want to drive there to do it yourself.

Yes a basic OTC wifi router you can get for $20. I'm talking about the dedicated router supplied by the provider. But leaving it in a lockable container is best. You can leave the key for the container. But having it one place saves on possible damage which could happen if you leave it on a table or desk. But it's whatever you're comfortable with.
Unless you meant to have the dedicated router locked up and link one or more regular routers off that then that's a different scenario.

As for a list of charges for damages as it was suggested I dont see a issue.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:35 AM

I stayed at a hotel once where they listed the cost for the luxury towels and robes that were in the rooms. And even said "feel free to take them and we'll bill your credit card". I don't think I would go that far! But I might put an inventory list inside the cabinet and closet doors so that housekeeping can easily tell if something is missing. I think that would let the renter know that an inventory is done after rental and missing items would be noticed right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate