Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times

Advertisements

Pre-license school is designed to teach the state & federal laws (how can you take title, what is agency), basic math (how many sq feet in a mile/acre/section/block/lot), and how to pass the exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 02:28 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm not upset. Far from it! I was curious more than anything. I always assumed that part of real estate licensure was an basic education in the major architectural styles. I see now that I was wrong.

American vernacular architecture is fascinating to me, and I love investigating old neighborhoods to find interesting and unusual examples of the familiar archetypes. There are endless local variations, but the basics are pretty standard.

Perhaps you're correct that the average buyer could not discern a Colonial from a Foursquare from a Bungalow, and I'm weird to think that anyone gives a hoot.

When I got a license there was some education on basic architectural styles. I don't think you're weird at all to think that anyone gives a hoot about describing houses properly- but I'm sure agents in many venues do have a limited menu of styles to pick from.

BTW, a foursquare is not a colonial in New England.

Last edited by Hollytree; 12-31-2015 at 02:40 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 02:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Very few people have the same feel for architecture that you have. And that includes agents. Agents use the terms that are acceptable to 90% of the public. It would be confusing, if they tried to be exact as you who have studied architecture terms are. The vast majority of the people would not know what they were talking about. They are gong to use whatever the other 90% plus will use when the describe what they want. And different parts of the country, use different terms and names for styles. And in lots of he country where there has been very rapid growth since WWII, and nearly all homes fall into 4 styles. 1--Ranch style. 2--Bi-level. 3--Tri-level. 4--Two Story. The further break down would be traditional, or contemporary. Many of the styles you mention, are unheard of in those areas.

It is not telling the clients that the home is a (name only known to architectural buffs), but tell them what they want to hear.

That is why the MLS will limit what you can call the home. It is designed to use local styles of the majority of homes and locally used names and terms, used by 90% of the people. Expecting all agents to know the exact terms you use, is beyond any logical expectation. They use the names and terms, that the local public expects them to use, and understand.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:44 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I understand 'tudor revival'. I understand 'english cottage'. But what got me was the phrase 'cottage revival' which was used in the original post. I have never heard that term. Probably because the style 'english cottage' never had a revival but has been consistently 'english cottage'.

Yet it would be nice for buyers to be able to search on favorite styles. What I end up doing is searching on the term 'historic', but that leaves a lot out of the retrieval. And to join the OP in being picky, new construction probably should read 'Craftsman Revival' rather than Craftsman, but that ain't gonna happen.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:02 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
In a lot of areas, a house with the wood work on it like those pix would be called Tudor...maybe. And cutesy small or large homes that are old would be all called Victorian.

Unless you get realtors who are really aware of their historic districts, the previous owners of the homes, the dates they were built, history of the areas, etc.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:22 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Hollytree-

I am in CT & in CT a four square is a colonial. Go into places such as New London & huge sections of the city are four squares. Agents call them colonials. No place on the MLS service for four squares.

What are they called in RI out of curiosity ?

Old 12-31-2015, 04:25 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Apparently the computer IT person does not know anything about architecture.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:44 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm not upset. Far from it! I was curious more than anything. I always assumed that part of real estate licensure was an basic education in the major architectural styles. I see now that I was wrong.
Unfortunately, you are correct -- licensure law does not extend to housing styles, it has more to do with the theory of real estate law and fiduciary duties. Architectural styles tend to be self-taught.

Plus, home styles vary wildly from area to area. Mention a "foursquare" house around here, and you would be greeted with blank looks. We're having enough trouble discerning between midcentury modern and contemporary . . . :-) We have 22 housing styles to choose from when inputting single family homes in the local MLS -- and one of them is "Other". A "Ranch" here is wildly different from, say, a "Ranch" in New Mexico . . . What often gets chosen around here is "Traditional" -- anything not a contemporary, or an obvious Tudor or Mediterranean/European is by default a "Traditional".

Old 12-31-2015, 08:23 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Here's what the main questions were in 99% of the sales I dealt with when I was in real estate.... how many bedrooms, how many bathrooms, how big is the yard, how high are the taxes, septic or public? The type of house design just didn't seem to really be all that much of an issue. The look and layout got them in the door.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:52 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
When I got a license there was some education on basic architectural styles. I don't think you're weird at all to think that anyone gives a hoot about describing houses properly- but I'm sure agents in many venues do have a limited menu of styles to pick from.

BTW, a foursquare is not a colonial in New England.
I would also think that an agent should be educated regarding particular housing styles in certain eras (and areas). If not, if I were a real estate agent, I would WANT to know about architectural styles. I'm not in New England, but I've always heard of a Foursquare and would never confuse it with a Colonial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Unfortunately, you are correct -- licensure law does not extend to housing styles, it has more to do with the theory of real estate law and fiduciary duties. Architectural styles tend to be self-taught.

Plus, home styles vary wildly from area to area. Mention a "foursquare" house around here, and you would be greeted with blank looks. We're having enough trouble discerning between midcentury modern and contemporary . . . :-) We have 22 housing styles to choose from when inputting single family homes in the local MLS -- and one of them is "Other". A "Ranch" here is wildly different from, say, a "Ranch" in New Mexico . . . What often gets chosen around here is "Traditional" -- anything not a contemporary, or an obvious Tudor or Mediterranean/European is by default a "Traditional".
That surprises me, only because Bill Clinton's childhood home in Arkansas was set on fire earlier this week, and it is described as a Foursquare. President William Jefferson Clinton Birthplace Home National Historic Site - Bob Vila. So it must not be a regional term, but I sure would have thought so; it's so easy to identify. And a Cape Cod is certainly nowhere near a Cottage Revival!

When I was looking for a house, I wanted a cottage, and I bought one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate