Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2015, 12:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,262,776 times

Advertisements

Today, while I was perusing real estate listings, I noticed once again that many agents don't seem to have even a basic grasp of the major architectural styles. This time it was a Cottage Revival described as a Cape Cod. Am I expecting too much when assuming that agents know enough to identify a Victorian, a Tudor, an American Foursquare, a mid-Century Modern, and a Colonial? Most of the time, I think the mistaken identities are funny, but it struck me today that perhaps agents don't receive any education at all in residential architecture and do not think it important enough to seek the information out on their own. I'm not suggesting weeks of study but maybe just enough to provide a general familiarity with the basics. Am I out of line here?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 01:08 PM

9,343 posts, read 13,925,768 times
I agree with you, but 'cottage revival' is not a style I have read about. Could you summarize what its features are, what sets it apart from other styles?

Old 12-31-2015, 01:20 PM

43,028 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Was this a description of style the agent chose off the top of the head?
Or was the agent clicking a box in the listing software, and could not choose from the styles you cite?

Old 12-31-2015, 01:32 PM

It's easier to just show you with a link...

Tudor and English Cottage Revival

The steeply gabled roof and entry vestibule are the typical tip offs, and there are a quite a few of these houses tucked away in neighborhoods in the older suburbs of my hometown. In working class neighborhoods, the timber, stucco, & brick details of more expensive Tudor exteriors were replaced with simple shingles or lap board to reduce costs. In the case of the home I saw today, the original siding had been replaced with white vinyl (shudder), which may have contributed to the confusion, but enough of the identifying details remained to make it clear that it was cottage revival. These included a multi-gable roofline and an adorable arched front door with porthole window. In any case, it was definitely not a Cape Cod.

I don't know if I'm expecting too much or if this really is a problem for agents who sell older properties. It made me sad to see the home mislabeled, because the appeal of the property lay in its storybook appearance, and the copy could have (should have?) played that aspect up. It's a sweet little house. Overpriced, but sweet. I wish I was in a position to buy it, but I have no intention of moving back to the Midwest. I was just browsing the listings in a favorite childhood neighborhood on a lark.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Was this a description of style the agent chose off the top of the head?
Or was the agent clicking a box in the listing software, and could not choose from the styles you cite?
The description was in the ad copy, so it does not appear to be an issue with limited options but rather the agent's lack of knowledge. What do you think, Mike? Am I expecting too much?

There is another older neighborhood nearby that is filled with American Foursquares and Craftsman Bungalows, many of them with original woodwork, but rarely do I see any mention of these details in the real estate copy. Is this an indication that agents typically do not have any education in major architectural styles?

I will mention that these homes are in pretty run down areas of town, so maybe it's also that the typical buyer would not recognize the description as significant. I do notice that in a much more expensive part of town, these details are almost always included in the copy.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-31-2015 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 01:40 PM

43,028 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's easier to just show you with a link...

Tudor and English Cottage Revival

The steeply gabled roof and entry vestibule are the typical tip offs, and there are a quite a few of these houses tucked away in neighborhoods in the older suburbs of my hometown. In working class neighborhoods, the timber, stucco, & brick details of more expensive Tudor exteriors were replaced with simple shingles or lap board to reduce costs. In the case of the home I saw today, the original siding had been replaced with white vinyl (shudder), which may have contributed to the confusion, but enough of the identifying details remained to make it clear that it was cottage revival. These included a multi-gable roofline and an adorable arched front door with porthole window. In any case, it was definitely not a Cape Cod.

I don't know if I'm expecting too much or if this really is a problem for agents who sell older properties. It made me sad to see the home mislabeled, because the appeal of the property lay in its storybook appearance, and the copy could have (should have?) played that aspect up. It's a sweet little house. Overpriced, but sweet. I wish I was in a position to buy it, but I have no intention of moving back to the Midwest. I was just browsing the listings in a favorite childhood neighborhood on a lark.

Let me restate my question.
When I put a listing into our MLS, I am forced to select a style from a drop down menu, and "cottage revival" is not a choice. But, I am mandated to make a choice. That choice shows up in the listing as a line item:
"Cape Cod."
Then, I also have an option to make prosaic Public Remarks, to describe/sell the property. If I call it a Cape Cod in the Public Remarks, you will see it similarly to this, "On a quiet cul-de-sac, this charming Cape Cod commands a view of the wooded open space behind...."

So, I tried to ask, "Which way are you seeing it?"
If the first, the agent may not have an agreeable option.
If the second, the agent probably doesn't know, as you say.
And, it may be an input clerk who has no clue, hasn't ever seen the property, etc, which presents its whole own list of potential issues.

ETA:
You were quicker than I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The description was in the ad copy, so it does not appear to be an issue with limited options but rather the agent's lack of knowledge. What do you think, Mike? Am I expecting too much?
I see clearly now... Unfortunately, you may have set the bar high for many agents. I have a few of these little details that make me nuts too.
We generally have limited education in architecture, or home construction, or systems. When I cannot describe a style, I may run it past an architect friend and ask, "Hey, what is this?"
But, I live in Cookiecutterville, and 90%+ can be called "Transitional," which is the "Beige" of architectural description.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:06 PM

I wondered about what was required for licensure, and now that I know, I'm thinking I need to give these agents a break, but it still makes me chuckle. In the meantime, at least those who've read the thread will know how to identify a cottage revival house. They were popular in the twenties, and they are my very favorite style of house. Maybe someday I'll finally be in a place to buy one! I hope, I hope.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:34 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,696,328 times
Our local MLS service has none of your other than Cape Cod descriptions available.

I double the typical buyer has any idea what a Mid Century Modern looks or a Four Square. I live in New England, there are tons of Four Squares. I have never heard of that style referred to in that way. Here they are just old style colonials.

Our local MLS service has Cape Cods, Farmhouse, Tudor, Colonial, Bungalow, Contemporary & Antique available for homes more than one story of some sort. That's how buyers in this area are used to seeing homes described.

If they wanted a style of the types you indicate, they would have to tell their agent first, then the agent could peruse the MLS and find them. Maybe it is backwards but it is what it is. Nothing to get upset about, just work around the limitations. The houses are there, the buyer just needs to communicate with their agent and explain what they want. Communication is always the key.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:49 PM

15,494 posts, read 40,194,371 times
I see that occasionally here, but I see more often new construction homes called Craftsman because they have two large pillars in the front that are craftsmanesque. It isn't something you get trained in as an agent, but agents that sell old homes, in my area, know the difference in styles.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:57 PM

I'm not upset. Far from it! I was curious more than anything. I always assumed that part of real estate licensure was an basic education in the major architectural styles. I see now that I was wrong.

American vernacular architecture is fascinating to me, and I love investigating old neighborhoods to find interesting and unusual examples of the familiar archetypes. There are endless local variations, but the basics are pretty standard.

Perhaps you're correct that the average buyer could not discern a Colonial from a Foursquare from a Bungalow, and I'm weird to think that anyone gives a hoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate