Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 03:40 PM

548 posts, read 473,468 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what some of the experts around here think the discount is for a high end house where the original lot was subdivided and a second house built in front.

Heres the one I'm looking at. It ended selling for $400 per s.f. so I'm just wondering how much it could have gone if it were a normal lot.

351 E Calaveras St, Altadena, CA 91001 | Zillow

I'm thinking between 10-20% off because it has no street frontage and there's another house sitting directly in front of it.

Anyone else have any experience selling/listing houses on flag lots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 04:02 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
When your county does an assessment they will discount for the flag lot. That is one place to look. Also the appraiser should have a line item regarding the location. BTW, I am not an expert, but I do read the county docs. It is only the land value that is affected.

That house is spectacular.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:43 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I would evaluate a house on a flag lots just like any other house. As long as there is sufficient parking and the driveway back to it is wide enough, I don't think it is a negative to have no street frontage.

There would be reduced street noise and no kids walking across the front lawn.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I would evaluate a house on a flag lots just like any other house. As long as there is sufficient parking and the driveway back to it is wide enough, I don't think it is a negative to have no street frontage.

There would be reduced street noise and no kids walking across the front lawn.
Yeah there's a garage and the driveway is standard width.

What I thought was really strange is here's a concrete wall literally 10 feet from the front porch dividing the two properties.

I can see how it is more private due to being offset but there's absolutely no curb appeal and considering how impressive most of the other homes in the area look I would think it would be worthy of downward adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
When your county does an assessment they will discount for the flag lot. That is one place to look. Also the appraiser should have a line item regarding the location. BTW, I am not an expert, but I do read the county docs. It is only the land value that is affected.

That house is spectacular.
I went to the open house for it and they restored is quite nicely. It's a real gem.

Unfortunately the tax assessments in California won't have any note about the location. Our taxes are just the sale price x 1% and then increased 2% annually.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:31 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,107,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
I'm curious what some of the experts around here think the discount is for a high end house where the original lot was subdivided and a second house built in front.

Heres the one I'm looking at. It ended selling for $400 per s.f. so I'm just wondering how much it could have gone if it were a normal lot.

351 E Calaveras St, Altadena, CA 91001 | Zillow

I'm thinking between 10-20% off because it has no street frontage and there's another house sitting directly in front of it.

Anyone else have any experience selling/listing houses on flag lots?
In my experience, homes on flag lots (the rear portion of the lot) are sold for roughly the same price. But I am in an expensive area where desirability is based on proximity to the central business district/urban core. I could imagine if your home was in a suburb far from the urban core where pricing was mostly dependent on the physical size of a home (not the location) there would be some kind of discount realized. However, I think a 20% discount in almost every scenario would be considered excessive.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:43 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
In hot markets they tend to sell for about 5% less around here. In the slow markets, like in the bust, it was easily a 10-15% discount. They were really, really hard to sell in the bust in my area.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:17 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,016,971 times
The problem with your question is that it's a local question and a situational question as well. Whether or not you discount for it being a flag lot or not and how much you discount if you do are questions that can really only be answered by a local real estate agent. Also, as Silverfall points out, the effect of the flag lot may be increased/decreased depending on the health of the market. Lastly, it's also hard to say without seeing the lot in person. If there's sufficient space and appropriate landscaping in between the houses then that could possibly negate the fact that it's a flag lot.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:56 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,910,099 times
You can't predetermine supply and demand. In my opinion, there's no uniform answer or set amount. This is a bit different than comparing a 3 car to a four car garage. If no one else is interested, the discount could be 30 or 40%. If there's multiple interest in the home, there could be little to no discount.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
In hot markets they tend to sell for about 5% less around here. In the slow markets, like in the bust, it was easily a 10-15% discount. They were really, really hard to sell in the bust in my area.
Yeah that makes sense. Probably similar to unpermitted work. When the market is hot and people are just snapping up properties all cash it doesn't have a huge impact, but during a crash any problems will be a bigger deal.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The problem with your question is that it's a local question and a situational question as well. Whether or not you discount for it being a flag lot or not and how much you discount if you do are questions that can really only be answered by a local real estate agent. Also, as Silverfall points out, the effect of the flag lot may be increased/decreased depending on the health of the market. Lastly, it's also hard to say without seeing the lot in person. If there's sufficient space and appropriate landscaping in between the houses then that could possibly negate the fact that it's a flag lot.
It's definitely a local question. I was just curious to see if anyone else had bought/sold/listed homes on flag lots and what kind of experiences they had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate