Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 04:56 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Are you suggesting tearing out the old tile, replace with a claw foot tub w/ a shower ring? Again as another poster said changes now make little sense, I've already addressed this. But this change is one that I can enjoy for the next 8 years. But I'm not doing it if it won't improve our chances at resale.
Yes. Tear out the tub and the surround, extend the floor all the way to the wall, install a clawfoot tub deep enough to soak your aches and pains away and shower ring for sudsing off.

Hard to predict the effect on resale, but I would bet it would be beat a tub with painted tile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 05:03 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
By they way, you may want to check out vinyl tiles. We put down the squares with the edges beveled off, apparently for grout but we didn't grout.

We painted the floor with the sealer that was recommended. Then peel and stick the tiles and roll them to ensure adhesion.

It was tedious but not too difficult.

Tiles were sturdy and still looked nice when we sold four years later.

Travertine looking tiles on the diagonal with a clawfoot tub in the center of that bay window would be gorgeous.

It would be a fairly affordable remodel, one that you would enjoy for years, and likely to be a selling feature when the time comes.

Can't wait to see the photos.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:57 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Love the tub. Don't love the laundry. HOWEVER if an interested party wanted to price out a relocation of the laundry and addition of a shower, they may offer you x amount less. It's a toss up.

Where are you that a new laundry location would cost that much?

eta: vinyl tiles? *shudder*

Old 01-08-2016, 07:21 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Love the tub. Don't love the laundry. HOWEVER if an interested party wanted to price out a relocation of the laundry and addition of a shower, they may offer you x amount less. It's a toss up.

Where are you that a new laundry location would cost that much?

eta: vinyl tiles? *shudder*
Probably shouldn't keep answering these questions as I have been convinced not to do it. But since you were nice enough to visit my thread and offer input the laundry could be moved to an open room, currently used for storage, off the upstairs hall and next to the main bathroom. The pricing would include running new pluming to that area as well as installing a nice (NOT fiberglass) shower with tile, great fixtures etc.

I am liking the claw tub idea for use now and resale later. I just need to figure out if it will either enhance resale or at least help sell the house. Quick looks online appear to show $1,300 for the tub, another $1,000 for the shower ring (from another poster's link) as well as labor. That's not cheap but not really expensive either.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:42 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Just because you know that the house won't be your forever home doesn't mean that you can't do a few upgrades for your own personal enjoyment. We upgrade for our family's enjoyment but we can't predict the future, so we can't say for certain that we'd be in the home for 8, 10, or 20 more years. I understand you not wanting to sink a lot of money into the home since you've been fine with the way things were for 13 years, but it seems as if your wife wouldn't mind having a slightly remodeled bath right now. As was suggested, you can replace the tub and the tile and it would probably be $5k. I don't think spending that amount will hurt you...you'll get 8 years out of it and it will look nice and cozy when people are touring the home. I actually don't thing the shower ring will go in front of that bay window. You can get a tub with a hand shower faucet and that will work as well. After all, there is a full sized shower in the other bath. A nice "wood look" porcelain tile (HD has Marazzi for under $3/foot, which is a great deal for a well known tile brand) would look nice.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:51 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Yes. Tear out the tub and the surround, extend the floor all the way to the wall, install a clawfoot tub deep enough to soak your aches and pains away and shower ring for sudsing off.

Hard to predict the effect on resale, but I would bet it would be beat a tub with painted tile.
This.

It wouldn't add any value to me personally, as I'm not a bath person and my preference is for a luxurious walk in shower. But a clawfoot tub would still look so much nicer than painted tile surrounding a non-new but non-period tub.

However, as I said before, selling 8 to 10 years from now means that anything you do now has to be for yourself. It's not a flip/newly renovated home that far down the road. Doesn't mean people won't buy it, but you have to make it the home YOU want and not try to guess what some stranger will want a decade from now.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:02 AM

455 posts, read 388,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I would do nothing but price the house competitively so the new owners can make their own changes.
Agreed. You won't get your 20k back so I would just price it for the market. If possible, could you create a fabric screen to "hide" the washer and dryer?

Old 01-08-2016, 09:07 AM

I should explain that even though $5,000 is not a huge amount of money as we approach retirement I'm really being cautious about ever dollar I spend. You never know what the future holds and I"m doing my best not to be in the position so many seniors are in today when they are forced to chose between medication and lunch. So to make sure we avoid this I've turned very frugal in my old age. So yeah I'd love a new tub now but I'll only do it if it makes sense down the road.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
Agreed. You won't get your 20k back so I would just price it for the market. If possible, could you create a fabric screen to "hide" the washer and dryer?
There is a curtain that hides them, I pulled it back to show the area.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:09 AM

455 posts, read 463,839 times
Talk to a local Realtor familiar with your area. That's where you'll get the best advice. I agree with the other Realtors on here. (Big surprise.) :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate