Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:47 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhenson View Post
There won't be any condos near this small town any time soon. It's a rural farm town near where I grew up. I'm not too worried about the view being ruined by developers.

We said the same thing. Then every developer decided we and the neighboring town had untapped condo potential so they went up. Of the two most recent one is 1/3 uncompleted with mostly renters. The other is 75% renters, mostly Section 8. Both are waterfront on the Chesapeake. The others took years to sell out, as in 15 years.

We just had another developer come in for plans for yet another 40 unit condo a few months ago, His "market study" said we were underserved by that type of housing. I asked him if his market study guy noticed the empty ones. He got upset and left the meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
I am at the top of a hill with a fantastic view of a valley and a mountain range. Hardly any trees. The house I was in before was a quarter mile away. It had two giant trees next to it. Here is my experience with those trees. Tiny twigs and some rather large moss covered branches constantly in the yard. Gutters full of leaves. Acorns everywhere in the fall. And they both constantly pissed sap on my car. Take the view and go to the park if you want trees.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:33 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,756 times
I'd choose - Slightly sloping with a wonderful view of the valley

Old 01-12-2016, 12:26 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,870 times
what difference does it make if you can see nieghbors?

Old 01-12-2016, 09:54 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
It is up to you. Do you want a view or privacy?

I once lived for years in a house with a view of a wall five feet away. Never again.

My house has both, a view and privacy. Took a long time to find it. And it is one of about four such properties in the area. Sits on a steep hillside. We basically have an infinity view, just look out over mountains and a valley, and the river. The homes below us are several hundred feet lower so we don't see them. We also don't see our side neighbors due to strategically placed walls. We just see a little of their backyards, as they do ours. And in front everything is walled and gated.

I like people at a distance. But leave me alone in my home.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:36 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Sounds like this boils down to view or privacy and only you can decide which is more important.

To me privacy would be more important, but its unclear to me whether or not you could create that privacy in a few years with fast growing trees or hedges that would block out your neighbors without obstructing your view.

The creek as long as youre sure it doesn't flood would be a huge draw for me, but again that's a personal preference.

I think its worth considering also what direction the view is. Does the view include sunrise/sunsets and how important is that to you.....again a personal thing.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Option #2.

Easier to plant trees as desired, than remove aging one or ones that block a view.

I bought a home with too many trees. At least 3 big oaks and some smaller maples. Getting quotes to chop them all down as we speak.

Biggest negatives are the sheer amount of leaves in the fall, disintegrating acorns all over, misc branches falling during storms, and too much shade causing my lawn to be a mixture of grass and moss.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 01-13-2016 at 07:12 AM..

Old 01-13-2016, 07:20 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I would pick the trees and the stream and the privacy, but that's just what I like. My lot is 10 acres in the woods with a little stream, so that's what I did pick for myself!

Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
If all things are equal and you still cannot decide, dig deeper (pun intended) into any perc testing that was done. Reading up on perc testing and understanding what differentiates one lot from another can save you thousands, maybe tens of thousands. I had one homeowner spend an unexpected 50K - 60K to build their home. And while that is rare, the added expenses are typically from installing well and septic.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:03 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Trees. I prefer privacy.

But the post about the septic system is spot on. That should be the first step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate