U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 3,363 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm currently in the market to buy a 2+ acre rural residential lot to build a new house on. I have narrowed it down to 2 lots in the same neighborhood and wanted to get some advice from Real Estate Professionals and/or homeowners who have experience with their own lots.

LOT #1 (best feature - TREES)
- 2.01 acres, asking price $47K
- Large oak trees on back acre of the lot
- Small creek runs through the back of the lot, but it is not in a flood zone
- Relatively flat, good building site
- More secluded from neighboring lots with no view of surrounding area

LOT #2 (best feature - VIEW)
- 2.3 acres, asking price $45K
- No oak trees, only smaller mesquites and cedars
- Slightly sloping with a wonderful view of the valley
- More exposed to neighbors

There is a water meter and electric access on each lot. Septic tank would be required. If I built the same house on either lot, is there one lot that would have a higher resale value? Or does anyone have an opinion on which one I should purchase?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 06:05 AM

38,821 posts, read 67,197,388 times
#2, IMO.

Plant trees as desired. You cannot grow "a wonderful view."

Old 01-09-2016, 07:13 AM

17,519 posts, read 23,213,714 times
I would buy the one that I most enjoyed looking at every day for the next decade or so. In my case, that would be #2 - the view.

It's a HOME first, an investment second.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:57 AM

8,057 posts, read 10,881,440 times
I would contact a septic system installer first. There are rules for the drain fields and you want to be sure that you can meet them. The slope might be an issue, the stream might be an issue. That is the critical piece of info you are currently lacking.

Then assuming this is not a limiting factor, check out the neighbor lots. Which one has the nicest buildings on it? Are any vacant such that you have no idea what might be built there in the future? On the treed lot, are the trees able to shade the western side of the house-to-be? If not, they don't contribute to cooling, just to the ambiance. My preference woul also be for the view lot, but only if it was suitable to developing some nice landscaping, and if that view would be protected forever. You don't want a nice view today that will have a multi-story structure or tall trees blocking it in the future.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 3,363 times
Great point about the septic drain fields. I'll look into that.

On the treed lot, there is one neighbor to the east and 2 vacant lots to the west. No, it would not have trees on the western side of the house, so it would just be for ambiance.

On the view lot, there is a neighbor at a higher elevation to the west (further up the same hill). There are currently no neighbors to the east, but their lot would be lower than mine, so it would take a very large structure to obstruct the view towards the east. I would guess it's about a 5% grade.

I wonder if I should consult a builder or architect and see what their opinion of the lots are?

Old 01-09-2016, 11:38 AM

7,913 posts, read 10,212,101 times
Don't worry about resale value--pick the lot that you prefer (if it's down to these two choices). A view lot is certainly a good choice...but if a lot offers more seclusion that could be a preference, too. I'd want to make sure that the "view" isn't going to become some subdivision. That would wreck it for me.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:01 PM

5,641 posts, read 9,577,415 times
^^^I would have said #2 but with the same caveat as jackmichigan. That beautiful view might turn into houses in the next 5-10 years, in which case, the tree view would be more desirable. The kid in me from the 60s says go for the trees and the creek. Far more fun!!

Old 01-10-2016, 10:44 AM

12,570 posts, read 12,636,764 times
I guess I'll go against the other posts here and say trees. A treed lot is a valuable lot, in my experience here in Texas. It gets blazing hot in the summer and the shade our oaks give us can't be replaced. If we were to lose any of them, especially the huge grand heritage trees, there would be a steep loss in value. Then there's also the seclusion factor, which people often like. Plus, a wooded lot does give the impression of a view.

Also there's a reason why the "no view" treed lot is higher. Again, huge mature trees are very valuable.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:42 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,545,036 times
Trees are nice, but if you choose the treed lot, then get an arborist out there first to make sure that they are healthy, desirable trees and not ones that are rotting or disease ridden or that may need to be removed for some reason. That is not only heartbreaking but expensive.

I think it's a toss up. All else being equal, I'd choose the view lot. But it's not equal - - the tree lot is relatively flat and a good building site. I like this and think it is a big plus. So, I'd probably pick the "good building site" lot, which apparently happens to be the tree lot. Make sure that the property will not flood from that creek, though, and that you have good drainage. To me that is all part of a good building site.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:47 PM

983 posts, read 992,222 times
My home is on a hill and looks down on:

A golf couse ( obviously many trees ) I can also see a speck of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountain range in the far distance ( must be a clear day )

Go for the best view that gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling. Maybe its trees and a lake to 1 person and maybe its a city skyline to another

Pick the one that YOU like the most
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate